• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

recommend a good savage short action stock

Rprecision

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2011
Progressive Hell, CO
So I picked up a accu-trigger model 11 short action with a worn out .204 barrel. I have a new varmint 1/8 barrel chambered in .223 wyld.

I am building the rig as a prairie dog/coyote/budget precision rig. I want to keep it as light as possible.

Any recommendations for a stock ? I looked at a few chassis systems but not sure I want the expense nor will it really benefit the use.

Thanks

Hs makes a nice vertical grip stock, real nice for prone and bench. Bell & carlson a2 is another nice option. Its abit cheaper. Both sport 3 ish lb weight and aluminum bedding blocks. Stocky's stocks carry both.

Another vote for stockadegunstocks. Kevin Rayhill is a great guy to work with, and kind of a savage guru. His 'money saver' stocks are a great deal and he will talk to you at length about how to finish them.

Another Vote for the HS Thumbhole.

I have done a couple of Savage Varmint builds... the last one was a 22-250 and after buying the boyds I regretted it.

For the same money, you can get an HS with bedding block and it has a better vertical grip... Throw in new Bottom metal like Atlas Worx or Similar and you have a real sweet build.

I bought a moneysaver once, while it turned out good in the end, it was definitely not in the same class as b&c or hs. I ordered one for a varmint barreled rig, it arrived with a pencil barrel channel. Opened it up and some gelcoat broke off exposing a huge void in the forearm. It was advertised as having a bedding block, it did not have a block like hs or b&c. The only aluminum exposed was small area in the lug pocket. I ground some material out and bedded the action and triggerguard. Like i said it ended up nice but i had alot of time and effort and bedding in it. Considering i started at 150.00 plus the headaches, i see the b&c as a better route, 225.00 and ready to go (skim bedding does help them).5

What's your price range? Are you wanting it to be magazine fed? By the time you factor in bedding, bottom metal, etc. you may be better off with a chassis. Be sure to look at the total cost of the stock for your intended use and compare that to other options.

What's your price range? Are you wanting it to be magazine fed? By the time you factor in bedding, bottom metal, etc. you may be better off with a chassis. Be sure to look at the total cost of the stock for your intended use and compare that to other options.

you bring up a fair point. I don't need it to be fed by a magazine but it would be convenient. I wanted to keep the cost under $400

I have looked at the MDT LSS chassis @ $399

MDT LSS Chassis for Savage Short Action

I just don’t know how AR furniture will accommodate a good check weld. I'm not sure what options are available to make this fit and work.

If anyone can speak to making this work or any ideas I would consider this route.

Last edited:
Be sure to look at McRee before making a decision on that MDT.

shop.mcreesprecision.net/G5-TMAG-FOR-SAVAGE_c464.htm

You're definitely going to blow your $400 budget out of the water by the time you get the rear. I'd either spend less money and pick up something like a B&C stock or spend more and get a full chassis. I have multiple rifles in all of these configurations and it ultimately comes down to what your needs/wants are and how much $$$ you want to throw at it.

Im currently trying to decide which stock to put on my 6.5 build that im researching and working on. I do like the Manners and some of the B&C stocks.

I put my 10FP action in a takeoff HS Precision varmint stock (from a 12LRP) and a 24" CBI .223 Wylde barrel. This is the stock with the more traditional grip, not the more pronounced vertical grip. Mounted a Vortex HS 5-15x44 in Talley one-piece 30mm rings and had the KMW Loggerhead added by "stockdoc". I think it ended up about 11-12 lbs total with the Savage DBM. Could be a little lighter without the KMW and using a stockpack. I have a .260 model 11 setup exactly the same, they are both handy for target rifles. Much more so than my FN SPR in a McM A3.

You can find the HS takeoffs for $200-300 online.

Last edited:
A B&C A2-A3-A5 will be a good cost effective stock for your...Stocky Stocks has them in stock most of the time so no wait like a Manners/McMillan or other custom...also CDI makes a good bottom metal and I hear PTG has a new one out too...

If u get a hs with factory dbm bottom metal the cdi drops right in. That would be 400-500, depending on new or used stock. The lss looks good for a 16-20" barrel, most pics show that length, but the forend is so short that a 24"+ barrel would look goofy and the bipod would be too far back for stability IMHO. I have never been around a ar stock(carbine) that locked up tight, wobbly buttstock isn't a good thing. A mcree unfinished stock might work good if an Ai mag is needed or wanted.

Don't overlook Boyd's. Since this is a varmint rig one doesn't need a 4lb+ tactical stock. They have a bunch if different styles and definitely fit in a budget.