• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Recommend a good trigger for a Rem 700

ReaperDriver

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby!
    I'm looking to upgrade my X-mark Pro trigger with a good aftermarket trigger. I know the Jewell is the top of the line but is pretty spendy. How would the Rifle Basix compare to the jewell and is it a good trigger? Or is the Jewell worth the extra $100? Any other recommendations besides those two?

BTW - I'm looking at a 1.5 lb or under trigger. Preferably in the 1 lb or slightly less range.....

Re: Recommend a good trigger for a Rem 700

there is a saying here....i'm fairly certain you've read it and heard it.......

i would also tell you to look at what the top 10 shooter in these competitions run....and what a serious hunter will run.

i have had them all, and have settled on a tweeked stock trigger...(won't most likely get you to a pound ).....and a jewel....the hurt only lasts a little while, but when you run with the big dogs.................

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How would the Rifle Basix compare to the jewell and is it a good trigger?
    BTW - I'm looking at a 1.5 lb or under trigger. Preferably in the 1 lb or slightly less range..... </div></div>

While I can't compare the two as I don't own a jewel. I am happy with the rifle basix I put on a 700 in 223. I have several hundred rounds down range since the swap with nearly the same dry fires and it is just as consistent as the day I bought it. I have the 2-2 1/2 pound model.

I run tuned 40x's on mine and am fairly happy with them. If I had the cheese, I'd like the CG Jackson triggers. Mike has one, and I think it's pretty cool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run tuned 40x's on mine and am fairly happy with them. If I had the cheese, I'd like the CG Jackson triggers. Mike has one, and I think it's pretty cool. </div></div>

I've used a CG Jackson trigger on a Rem 700. It is my #1 trigger of choice now.

http://www.x-tremeshooting.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run tuned 40x's on mine and am fairly happy with them. If I had the cheese, I'd like the CG Jackson triggers. Mike has one, and I think it's pretty cool. </div></div>

I've used a CG Jackson trigger on a Rem 700. It is my #1 trigger of choice now.

http://www.x-tremeshooting.com/
    </div></div>

What he said, they are spendy, but damn, they're good.

Stock trigger sent to a good smith. The one that GAP put in my rifle is simply awesome.
    I had already bought a Shilen for that rifle, but I ended up keeping the Remington trigger worked by GAP because it is really nice.
    You may save a few bucks too, if you already have one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stock trigger sent to a good smith. The one that GAP put in my rifle is simply awesome.
    I had already bought a Shilen for that rifle, but I ended up keeping the Remington trigger worked by GAP because it is really nice.
    You may save a few bucks too, if you already have one.
    </div></div>
    Are you talking the X-Mark pro being worked over by a Smith or one of the older Rem 700 triggers? I currently am running an older Rem trigger that breaks at 1.5 and its SWEEET! But alas, the loan is about up and I'm looking at alternatives. I actually really like the break and crispness of the X-Mark but it was HEAVY. I tried the following the on-line instructions to back off the weight, but could never get it to change and I'm just uncomfortable messing with that stuff too much. I may just see if I can get the X-Mark lightened up some and then if that doesn't work, drop the coin for a jewel.

FWIW - I tried a friend's Timney and wasn't impressed. It seemed mushy. The only other aftermarket trigger I've tried is another friend's Jewell and when you squeeze that, its like angels singing!

Old style Remy, or Shilen.

I like my Shilen more than any other trigger I've ever felt.
    BUT, to be honest the first one I got from Shilen wouldnt adjust. I tried it, another gunsmith tried it, and yet another gunsmith tried it. I sent it back to Shilen, they replaced it, and the new one was PERFECT.

Old style Remington. Don't have any X-Mark on my rifles.

Jewell for me. It really isn't that much more than the others. I also run an old Rem factory trigger that I tuned myself - great trigger, but not in the same class as the Jewell. I have also tried to make an X-Mark run and finally gave up and tossed it in the box.

I like Jewell triggers, but decided to try a Shilen on the rifle that I just built. I really like it, it breaks clean, and adjust properly. It's only supposed to go down to 1.5 pounds on the model that I have, but it came from the factory at just over 1 pound, it has not had any problems, and will not slam fire; so that's what it's set at. I'd recommend them to someone looking for a good trigger but not wanting to spend as much as a Jewell.

Went with Jewel, spend a couple of hours adjusting it to perfection. Now it breaks like its connected to my nerves, no longer do I have to conciously pull the trigger, I just have to think it.

For a loose bolt to receiver fit such as a Remington, I would recommend a Shilen if you can still find one.

I have a Timney and a Jewell and prefer the Jewell hands down. Had both Remington triggers before old style and the X-Mark and the both were replaced. I'd spend the extra $$$ and go with the Jewell and sell your Remington trigger to someone who wants it for whatever you can get for it. Just my 0.02.
    LBH

My Rem 700 is happy with its Basix Trigger

An old remington tuned by someone who knows what they're doing are nice. Jewell's are the best I've felt.

Contact Larry Scott at 270 924 5290 from 8:00 am - 9:00 pm. He sells the Jewel triggers for 203.00 shipped express mail to your door. Excellent guy to do business with...I'm sure several members have bought from him. I had mine in three days and he does take Credit cards.

Another advantage to the Jewell triggers is that they have great QC. I shipped my barreled action off to be Cera Coated and did not pack it well enough. The trigger poked out the side of the box and the USPS snaped the trigger shoe off. I called Jewell, told them that I screwed the pooch and they told me to send it in and that they will fix it and get it back out to me adjusted to whatever weight I want.

OK, sounds like the Jewell is the consensus choice. Its more than I wanted to spend but I'll ponder on it a bit. Next question is: What is the ideal weight you guys like for a field/tactical rifle? The only jewell I've shot was set at like 8oz (BR rifle) and its absolutely sick but probably a bit light for the field. I was thinking in the 1 - 1.5lb range would be about right. That make sense?

you guys do know you can call jewell direct right?

Both Timney and Rifle Basix I have tried were nicer than my tuned X-mark.

I think I'll probably be going with one or the other before to long. I can't afford jewels
    laugh.gif

Look at Pablito's directions on snipercountry.com
    Tune it yourself before you spend money; IF you have the old style trigger...

Did one last night on a hunting rifle and it felt reliable at one pound. Set it to 2.75. No creep, crisp... Not like I need lighter in the field, but lighter is definitely doable.

Jewell and Timney are both solid. I like Jewell better for precision work and Timney more so for hunting applications.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Centerfire1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hunter223....where did you buy your Jewel for that price??? From Jewel? </div></div>

Sho-nuff!!!!

I have 3 Timney triggers set at 1 pound, they all work very well! All of my future rifles will wear Timneys.

Thanks Hunter. I wasn't aware that I could call directly. Great info for my future build. I have a 40x on my muzzleloader and a jewel on my Rum. Given that I'm sure the 40x could be better tuned than my ability allows the jewel will almost fire with a brain wave command. Lol. More expensive but worth every penny. Never had a Timney.

Jewell if you want a single stage. CG Jackson if you want a two-stage. Extra bonus, you can make the Jackson trigger a single-stage if you like.

We use the Rifle-Basix trigger on our rifle builds and offer the Jewell as an upgrade. We switched to the Basix trigger because we just couldn't get the old style Remington triggers anymore but they've been a solid & reliable replacement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Extra bonus, you can make the Jackson trigger a single-stage if you like. </div></div>

Not if you want the safety to work.

The jewell trigger is a work of art. For a trigger as light as you are wanting, I would recommend spending the extra money for the jewell.

You will be very happy with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Extra bonus, you can make the Jackson trigger a single-stage if you like. </div></div>

Not if you want the safety to work. </div></div>
    That is true. If you have a Jackson trigger with safety, it has to be a two-stage for the safety to work. Match shooters don't use safeties....hunters do. I have both.

Installed a Jewell HVR in the 700 SPS Tac last night. The adjustability is nice... Repeatability is spot on with regard to pull weight to release. I have her set at 8 oz.

I think I need to hose her out with lighter fluid though. It has significant creep (IMO) before releasing the sear and if I turn the engagement screw in any further it won't hold upon bolt close (unless I am extremely gentle with it). Once in a while there is enough creep that I can feel the trigger move on my finger and not release the sear. Sure has a lot of over travel also... If I turn that screw out any more It won't release the sear.

One question though. Are Jewells supposed to have as much side play in the trigger shoe as this one seems to have? At least 2 to 3X as much as the stock X Mark Pro that came out of the gun...

Speaking of the X Mark Pro... why in the heck did Big Green put an EXTRA trigger pull weight spring in the thing... Yes it has 2... If you remove the set screw out of the trigger shoe it will become a standard X Mark with regard to adjustability.