• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Recommend a gunbelt

WileyG

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2009
Alabama
I've been looking and it would appear that for $80 to $150 a feller could buy the best gunbelt on the planet. But which one? Get it with a stiffener, yes or no?

Edited to add....I'm looking for a 1 1/2" double layer leather that I can wear daily with/without a full size 1911 on it all day if I want to.

Re: Recommend a gunbelt

Not sure what style of belt you like but I really like my Wilderness Tactical original instructor belt.

I need to get a nice leather belt too.

Might try jbgunbelts.com. Have an excellent rep.

Mike

Could also look at an ARES gear Ranger belt. I have one and its held everything from full size 1911s to glocks up no problem

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look no further if you want a leather belt.

http://www.thebeltman.net/ </div></div>

+1 I just got mine in a few weeks ago and it is very nice and works great. I carry a 3 in 1911 daily and it has no problem with that but I sometimes carry my full size and it still holds it up great. I got the bull hide with the stiffener. Works a lot better than my regular leather belt from cavenders I always wore.

Walter

Mernickle and 5.11 leather belts have worked great for me.
Also give Ares Gear ranger belts a look. The people over at Ares are great guys.

I've been wearing a Comp-Tac leather with kydex reinforcing for three years, still looks like new. I always carry but it would be fine naked.

No offense bud, but these look like regular belts...I bet its even cheaper if you get a leather belt of quality. Or hell, even military like belts, which are cheap but of sturdy quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Avg_Joe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might try jbgunbelts.com. Have an excellent rep.

Mike </div></div>

Those pretty thick? Stiff?

That guy is pretty close to me, might give that a try.

Wilderness Tactical if you don't need something dressy.

Check out the Liger gun belt from Maxpedition. It isn't a dress belt but I wear it to work with Khaki's. I've had mine for at least 3 years and it still looks brand new.

I have had a Galco gun belt for about eight years now. Good and sturdy.

Yustax,
They do look like any other belt but are usually doubled up horsehide or other thick heavy leather. They dont twist and flop like regular single thickness belt while wearing a holster.

If you want a gun belt - get a rigger's belt with a plastic insert (if you carry concealed - no one sees it and they are the best "gun" belts).

If you want a leather belt that is a little stiffer - just about every holster manufacturer makes them.

Good luck

HERE is a good thread about the subject. My opinion remains unchanged from the brief review I wrote in that thread. I suppose the only thing I would add is that the A&G would be my favorite when wearing blue jeans. Anything "dressier" than blue jeans and the A&G is just too thick.

Thanks to all who offered advice/input. I went with the A&G 1 1/2" horsehide with stiffener for my gunbelt. Also ordered one of their bullhide dress belts and should have it midweek.

For a leather belt I run a beltman while carrying a glock 23 with a pistol light and 2 extra glock 22 magazines. I also use a ares ranger and it is much stiffer if you do not want leather. The beltman I have been wearing on a daily basis since 2009.

I have used the following:

A 5.11 leather gun belt- extremely stiff and good for load bearing but the leather scuffs quickly.
A Blackhawk! Riggers belt- good for load bearing but cumbersome, may not be your persuasion.
An Ares Ranger Belt- stiff good for load bearing but the on/off procedure is cumbersome, and the buckle scuffs easily.
A Harley Davidson 1-3/4" harness leather belt- not stiff enough to prevent sagging from weight of pistol.

Of the four I prefer the Ares Ranger Belt and live with the PITA on/off procedure.

Might try jbgunbelts.com. Have an excellent rep.

Mike

Well, I gave this guy a shot and I was pleased.

Extremely stiff, sturdy, and great looking belt. Tough to beat for 58$ shipped.

I much prefer a leather belt to a tacticool looking belt for everyday carry.

I pick up my gun belts from blade tech. It is the best deal I know of, $60 for a double layer kydex reinforced gun belt.

I really like the stiffness of my beltman belt, but I got it very wet once and the finish on the outside of the belt was permanently messed up. For that much $ I was kinda pissed. I probably should have approached the beltman about it, but I didn't. Anyways, I've been looking for a decent rigger's belt.

Good thick horsehide will be stronger stiffer, and more fine grained than cow or steer hide. I got tired of the price for really good belts, and found that with all things considered, horsehide had the best return for single thickness leather. If you can find a leather supply place near you, you can make your own belts without too much cost. A plain, single thickness horsehide belt should cost $60-85.

I second the belt man leather belts I received a horse hide belt with the internal stiffener for Christmas and I can say that I will never wear another belt for ccw.

Yeah, Ares gets my vote too. TAB Gear has a pretty cool one too, similar to the Ares and may be a bit easier to install and remove as it doesn't overlap (I think). I do use the Ares.

If you don't already know, skimping on your gun belt is a very bad idea..the belt and holster are a system just like sling and scope are to a rifle. A good belt insures that your sidearm is held in the same place every tine, thereby insuring smooth and fast access. A good belt also greatly enhances comfort during long periods do wear..the pistol feels lighter without a best that sags.
Security, comfort, and consistency are all good reasons to use a good stiff belt. For some reason, it takes many beginners a long time to figure these things out. But once you use a good belt/holster combination, you will never be satisfied with a poor quality ine again.

I received my gun belt ordered from Crossbreed recently. Been using it daily and really think it has been worthwhile. Took about 6 weeks to get to me though.

I have several Belt Man bull-hide belts. I like them, and they are dressy enough for work. However my recommendation goes to Rick at http://www.rgleather.freehomepage.com/catalog_2.html. I have one of his horse hide belts with a bull hide liner in tan. His prices are competitive, and all belts are hand made and hand finished.

Chip

Check out original special operations equipment. They have a few different style belts to choose from and they are very well made. There is a video of them using two belts to play tug of war with two full size trucks.