• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend a suppressor for .300 BO

TXAZ

NOC NOC
Minuteman
  • Oct 3, 2020
    McMurdo Sound
    Just bought a DD .300 BO and looking for a suppressor.
    lots of hype , if you know of one that’s appropriate or an objective comparison, I’d appreciate your input.

My aac sdn6 works great. I used a bullet from mid south shooters. Heres the link. Along with 10.8gr of 1680 powder.

Great cheaper bullet for plinking and such.

10.5" barrel. I was getting 1040fps at 200ft above sea level.

Stupid quiet.

Doc

I would look at the OSS .30 cal cans as they have less back pressure so less gas back in your face.

Reactions: TXAZ
    I'd go all titanium and compact. Giving up a few db in sound suppression is well worth weight savings and improved handling. The novelty of having the quietest can around wears off faster than you might think.

Something like a gen 2 tbac ultra 5 incher gets my vote for a dedicated blackout can. Maybe a 7" ultra 2 for something more versatile.

I have a thunder-chicken. It is comically quiet on a 300 BO AR, and at only 14 oz it is pretty light too. But, I think that I wish I would have gone with the trash panda. The length of the TC kinda negates some of the compactness of a short 300 BO. For my money, a can isn't worth the money/hassle/wait if it can't get a 300 BO to hearing safe levels, so the little ultra compact cans are a no go around here.

I have a thunder-chicken. It is comically quiet on a 300 BO AR, and at only 14 oz it is pretty light too. But, I think that I wish I would have gone with the trash panda. The length of the TC kinda negates some of the compactness of a short 300 BO. For my money, a can isn't worth the money/hassle/wait if it can't get a 300 BO to hearing safe levels, so the little ultra compact cans are a no go around here.
    You think a 5" can is too loud on a 300 BO?

The 5" should still be noticeably quieter than an unsuppressed .22lr. According to TBAC, about 133db. That's right in line with the 9" ultra shooting .308 at 132-134db.

Your mileage may vary. My hearing is already shot, so maybe I'm not the guy to be taking advice from.

You think a 5" can is too loud on a 300 BO?

The 5" should still be noticeably quieter than an unsuppressed .22lr. According to TBAC, about 133db. That's right in line with the 9" ultra shooting .308 at 132-134db.

Your mileage may vary. My hearing is already shot, so maybe I'm not the guy to be taking advice from.
    To be fair, I have not been around a 5" can on a 300 BO. But, I've read TBAC refer to them as moderators and not suppressors. And, my hearing is still pretty good, so I safeguard it as much as possible. Plugs AND muffs at the range. I have a pair of custom made ear plugs that I cannot wear while shooting a shotgun as the report still rings my ears- but the cheap foamies do not. And, I wear plugs when shooting an unsuppressed 22lr. If this is a first suppressor, I would go with a larger "general purpose" can. The itty bitty cans are more of a niche item and more likely to miss the expectations a first time buyer.

I would look at the OSS .30 cal cans as they have less back pressure so less gas back in your face.
    Properly tuning your gun for the suppressor goes a long way here also.

Reduce the gas coming back and properly size your spring/buffer combo.

I like the BRT reduced diameter gas tubes as they don't get seized up like a adjustable gas blocks do.

I'm currently running a Sandman S on my .300 Blk. I'm waiting for the Sig SRD-Ti to get out of jail. Might look into the Deadair Nomad Ti.

AAC 762-SD is stupid Hollywood quiet, but good luck finding one.
    04E47604-02C2-4DCF-A025-6DFF7694B788.jpeg

To be fair, I have not been around a 5" can on a 300 BO. But, I've read TBAC refer to them as moderators and not suppressors. And, my hearing is still pretty good, so I safeguard it as much as possible. Plugs AND muffs at the range. I have a pair of custom made ear plugs that I cannot wear while shooting a shotgun as the report still rings my ears- but the cheap foamies do not. And, I wear plugs when shooting an unsuppressed 22lr. If this is a first suppressor, I would go with a larger "general purpose" can. The itty bitty cans are more of a niche item and more likely to miss the expectations a first time buyer.

Moderator or supressor are synonyms. I have had no problems with being hearing safe thru the AAC Cyclone and SDn6, Silencerco Hybrid or Omega.

P.s. I have very sensitive ears as well. I'm a plugs and muffs kinda guy.

Moderator or supressor are synonyms. I have had no problems with being hearing safe thru the AAC Cyclone and SDn6, Silencerco Hybrid or Omega.

P.s. I have very sensitive ears as well. I'm a plugs and muffs kinda guy.
    Supersonic rounds aren’t hearing safe.

Reactions: Cacciatore
    Have a 762 SD as well as the SDN-6…. Both very good at their job; SD obviously quieter. Converting both to direct thread as soon as my number comes up in Ecco Machine’s queue. The 51T mounts on both are still good, but with AAC gone, don’t want to take a chance when they ultimately wear out.

I think there are several great .30 cans out there now. Do your research and find the best one that works best for you at what you’re willing to spend. Biggest trade offs will be size (volume) vs sound suppression…weight too, but that can be offset somewhat with lighter materials that usually cost more, or may deliver a shorter lifespan if built to be light.

I’ve always found Silencer Shop reviews to be pretty useful (videos and customer reviews)…have written a few myself. 7 of my 9 current cans, and all three of the cans I have currently sitting in ATF jail awaiting stamp processing were purchased either direct from their showroom in Austin or via a local gunshop in their network. Their kiosks make it ridiculously easy to complete the ‘paperwork’ once you have an account set up and a trust on file.

Not affiliated, etc.but it’s not easy getting me as a repeat customer to that extent on something so niche- specific…they must be doing something right.

Last edited:
    I have been using a Rugged Razor on my SBR for several years. Its 6.4" and fairly light, not Ti light, but its belt fed rated just incase you get a wild hair and want to do a couple of mag dumps back to back you will never worry about it being able to handle the heat. I do have a 300 BO, 6.5 Grendel and 556 uppers I use this suppressor for. I still feel like i need ear pro even on subsonic ammo. The muzzle on a suppressed SBR is really close and is still pretty noisy. I don't get any blowback with the razor and it handles very nice. One down side is you can't put it under the hand guard because the of attachment system but POI does not change when swapping uppers.
    Good luck on finding your suppressor, whichever one you choose will make your SBR experience much more enjoyable other than having to clean it, even turning the gas way down it gets your AR dirty very quick.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
    Have a 762 SD as well as the SDN-6…. Both very good at their job; SD obviously quieter. Converting both to direct thread as soon as my number comes up in Ecco Machine’s queue. The 51T mounts on both are still good, but with AAC gone, don’t want to take a chance when they ultimately wear out.

I think there are several great .30 cans out there now. Do your research and find the best one that works best for you at what you’re willing to spend. Biggest trade offs will be size (volume) vs sound suppression…weight too, but that can be offset somewhat with lighter materials that usually cost more, or may deliver a shorter lifespan if built to be light.

I’ve always found Silencer Shop reviews to be pretty useful (videos and customer reviews)…have written a few myself. 7 of my 9 current cans, and all three of the cans I have currently sitting in ATF jail awaiting stamp processing were purchased either direct from their showroom in Austin or via a local gunshop in their network. Their kiosks make it ridiculously easy to complete the ‘paperwork’ once you have an account set up and a trust on file.

Not affiliated, etc.but it’s not easy getting me as a repeat customer to that extent on something so niche- specific…they must be doing something right.
    Exactly. Had mine done my ecco awhile back after the third time I sent mine in for repair. Best money spent, even though you shouldn't have to.

Doc

Reactions: 91Eunozs
    Can confirm the TBAC Ultra 9 does the trick on a 10.5 300blk. It was my first and I got it for bolt stuff. Happened to land on my blackout. lol Shoot 220 spire subs and you'll be able to hear the thud of the bullet on a berm at 200yds. So cool.

I will say, in my experience, the 300blk has a much sharper sounds vs a 6.5CM. Like the 6.5CM is more pleasant to listen to, much longer expel of gases due to barrel length I guess. It's a pppsssss, not a ttss.

Supers in 300blk? I did that once.... it was all that was in stock at the time and I didn't have a suitable powder at the time.

Why anyone would hunt with a blk confuses me as well. Is it a "because I can" type of thing?

300blk is all about subsonic fun. Shooting a blk with supers and without a suppressor is like driving a formula one car on a dirt track. Lame.

Negative.

in SBR applications 300blk significantly outperforms 556
    So does a 7.62x39 and the ammo is like 1/3 the price.

If I could get my hands on a whole bunch of 125gr TNT's that were plentiful and cheap a few years back I might change my mind, but right now the fun per dollar ratio isn't where it needs to be. For me, at least.

209gr hi-tek coated cast projectiles at 17 cents a pop over a pinch of cfe blk with old (white box) winchester srps is doing the job for me right now.

Supers in 300blk? I did that once.... it was all that was in stock at the time and I didn't have a suitable powder at the time.

Why anyone would hunt with a blk confuses me as well. Is it a "because I can" type of thing?

300blk is all about subsonic fun. Shooting a blk with supers and without a suppressor is like driving a formula one car on a dirt track. Lame.
    People hunt with pistols, revolvers, bows, and air guns. 300bo is no worse than any of those. A pistol caliber weight bullet traveling at pistol velocities is going to do pistol bullet stuff. There are 30 cal bullets specially made to expand at subsonic velocities. I’m personally of the opinion that if you’re outside of bow range, you aren’t really hunting anyway. Expanding subs and a can are great at close range.

As for supers, E= (mv^2)/2 which may favor the 5.56, but real world effectiveness defies easy calculation.

As for “subsonic fun,” I’ve got better things to do with my limited funds than to make quiet noises at the range.

People hunt with pistols, revolvers, bows, and air guns. 300bo is no worse than any of those. A pistol caliber weight bullet traveling at pistol velocities is going to do pistol bullet stuff. There are 30 cal bullets specially made to expand at subsonic velocities. I’m personally of the opinion that if you’re outside of bow range, you aren’t really hunting anyway. Expanding subs and a can are great at close range.

As for supers, E= (mv^2)/2 which may favor the 5.56, but real world effectiveness defies easy calculation.

As for “subsonic fun,” I’ve got better things to do with my limited funds than to make quiet noises at the range.
    The lack of recoil and handiness of the rifle makes it more fun than the lack of noise. My preferred can for a 300BO is a 5" all titanium model like the TBAC, as mentioned above. I don't chase movie quiet.

As a bean counter, cost vs suitability for the intended use is one of, if not the biggest concern I have when selecting a caliber for a particular rifle. If I were looking to shoot supers through an SBR, it would be through an AK platform in 7.62x39. Just an opinion. Nothing to get worked up over!

I run a srd762 direct thread on everything.

15oz is heavy after playing with a nomad ti.

It is quiet and handles fine on a 10" barrel. Plenty handy to sit in the trees without the ranchers having to hear me thump a deer with 220grn subs at 30-75yrds in the thick trees.

Superlative arms gas block is key.