• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Recommend a suppressor for .338LM

penumbra

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2008
CT
I am looking for the most effective, reliable, durable and light suppressor for a .338 LM rifle.

If money is no object what do you recommend?

Re: Recommend a suppressor for .338LM

SAS Arbiter. It is very quiet and light (titanium). You cant go wrong with AAC either but, money being an object for me, SAS....

thanks for the link and suggestions.

is the Surefire suppressor any good?

Surefire is OK, but there are quieter cans available.

The AAC Titan is quieter than many commercial .308 suppressors, and is my favorite of the few .338 cans I've heard in person. The Stainless version is 2x10" and 40ish ounces, which is the only real downside. The Ti version is 1.8x10" and weighs half that, but is slightly louder, and twice the price. They are both very impressive performers.

AAC titan is good to go. Contact Mark @Polite Society. I heard he has a couple on the way.

I have a SF and like it. I dont need earplugs and the recoil is minimal. And its pretty damn light.

I have not heard it compared to any others so I have no idea if its any quieter or not.

We have been running the SureFire on two different .338LMs pretty hard for the last 3 years. One is a 22" and the other a 27". Very good results and I trust it to slap on and work perfectly in front of audiences.

No issues at all so far.

I would say AAC Titan or the SHARK Jaws.
I own the Titan and love it. Its the steel thread on version not the Ti one.

The shark will be more money but I guess if you want high quality you have to pay for it.

DO NOT BUY A JET! Unless you are really into crappy service!

considering the suggestion so far, i am considering the SF suppressor because when mounted, it adds only 6" to the length of the rifle allowing the use of a standard dragbag and hardcase. the con is SF designers failed to consider the loss in suppressor volume due to the volume taken up by the brake/adapter. they should have used a 2" tubing. this modification would increase the size and weight which would have necessitated the use of titanium thereby increasing the already exorbitant price of this suppressor.

i am also considering the AAC Titan for its performance. its cons are the thread mount and the additional 10" to the rifle which would preclude leaving it mounted during transportation in a standard size dragbag/hard case.

thank you for the input, guys. much appreciated.

Get the DTA SRS and you can shave off that extra length!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: penumbra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">considering the suggestion so far, i am considering the SF suppressor because when mounted, it adds only 6" to the length of the rifle allowing the use of a standard dragbag and hardcase. the con is SF designers failed to consider the loss in suppressor volume due to the volume taken up by the brake/adapter. they should have used a 2" tubing. this modification would increase the size and weight which would have necessitated the use of titanium thereby increasing the already exorbitant price of this suppressor.

i am also considering the AAC Titan for its performance. its cons are the thread mount and the additional 10" to the rifle which would preclude leaving it mounted during transportation in a standard size dragbag/hard case.

thank you for the input, guys. much appreciated. </div></div>

I have shot a TRG 42 in 33LM with the surefire brake and can. I was really impressed at the recoil reduction. So much that, I think its what im going to put on the 338 I eventually buy.

CJG

I have a Surefire .338 can that I use on my .308. Works very well on under caliber rounds as well. Cools fast and no POI shift when I put it on.

I already own an AWSM. I would get a DSR1 if I could find someone to import them
grin.gif

Our 338P-1 is very good. On the meter, on average, the final suppressed dB is within 1 dB of our 30P-1 shooting .308, IE, its reduction is a little more in total dB than the 30P-1.

-z

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dreamlander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I am going to get the SRT Shadow LM Ti. I haven't ever used a suppressor but this one sounds nice at 17 oz.

Link to thread about suppressors
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...578#Post1551578 </div></div>
I have one of these and you are right that they <span style="font-weight: bold">sound</span> (pun intended) nice! Very light, and price effective. Mine is every bit as quiet as my .30 Thundertrap even on my .308, .300WM, and .300RUM. I don't have the THundertrap for .338, but based upon the .30 cal. model I have, I would recommend it as well.

I had the opportunity to shoot the TBAC on a TRG-42 the past weekend and was very impressed. Quiet, light and accurate.

The Thunder Beast can is very good.

The Gemtech PSR is also good, though not as quiet as the Thunder Beast. It does add a little less length, though.

Check out the Surefire 338 can also. Works great and no 100 yard zero POI shift when putting it on my rifle. Lightweight, QD and cools down quickly also.

Dont forget to consider the new model in the YHM line of products. They released the 338 Phantom QD this year and I've only been able to handle one at SHOT show so far. I have one pending approval with the ATF but I hear great things about it. Basically an upscaled 7.62 Phantom but from hearing it being shot was quite impressed given its simplicity. And you cant beat a $700.00 price tag!

Normally the 338 line of cans from any manufacturer is going to be upwards of $1000.00. This one is right under that.

I do own the AAC Titan as stated before. Its a wonderful can! If you can spare the change I would go with that one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Our 338P-1 is very good. On the meter, on average, the final suppressed dB is within 1 dB of our 30P-1 shooting .308, IE, its reduction is a little more in total dB than the 30P-1.

-z </div></div>

Can you disclose the NSR of each can?

Also, can you disclose location of meter?

TIA

Hi,

For our internal testing, we follow the mil-spec using a mil-spec, calibrated meter and mil-spec positioning.

At this time we don't publish our net numbers due to apparent inconsistencies between different testers who are ostensibly using mil-spec equipment and methodology. We have no problem discussing results privately, so contact us if you want on that topic.

We just sent John Titsworth a 30P-1, and we'll be happy to send him a 338P-1 when he's ready for it.

-z

IMHO

AAC Titan.

There is youtube video of it being tested at the ear and it's hearing safe without question.

That's the only can I'd buy if money was no object.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arevalosocom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO

AAC Titan.

There is youtube video of it being tested at the ear and it's hearing safe without question.

That's the only can I'd buy if money was no object. </div></div>

Thread on version, correct?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know it's impossible to tell a suppression level by video,</div></div>
You might as well as have stopped there. It's very difficult to tell anything from a video recording.

It looks like you're shooting under a roof. That makes it louder too.

If you look on youtube for other 338 suppressors most of them sound quieter in that they have less of the "Boom" report which is noticable in your video.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arevalosocom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO

AAC Titan.

That's the only can I'd buy if money was no object. </div></div>

Thread on version, correct? </div></div>

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=rsilvers#p/u/37/jHPqrJDyVrc

I honestly can't tell. Take a look.

<span style="font-weight: bold">The first shot is < 130 at the ear</span>........

Shot 2 : <span style="font-weight: bold">127 db! </span>

when one considers that most 338LM are 170db +....That's VERY impressive......IMHO.

He meteres a Subsonic 308 and it's roughly the same Dbs....

I was at Thunder Valley today shooting my 338 Edge with a Fat Bastard. Tom Sarver was shooting his 338LM with a Shark suppressor. I don't know what the name is but its their Ti can and it was VERY impressive. In my opinion its hearing safe but I didn't have a meter there. No I'm thinkin I NEED a 338 can.

Thanks Tom.

Goin'Hot

With all due respect, their are a hand full respectable suppressor companys out there but I choose Shark..

Yes, the suppressor I was running today was a Shark. It's name is "Jaws" a dedicated .338 can design. I've been doing some T&E for Mr. Whitson of Shark Suppressors for ELR accuracy tests on the .338LM, the 1000 yard World record holding cartridge the .300 Hulk and the .260 Rem. as well as the .308 win. Accuracy tests at ONE MILE with the Hulk and .338LM are nothing short of amazing. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to install a Shark can on my world record light gun and shoot a match with it. With several witnesses I've engaged the one mile target with the .300 Hulk and rang the hell out of 12" steel plate at a mile repeatedly shot after shot. There's alot more to a can than how QUIET it is. Like muzzle brakes, some cans are MORE accurate than others. Perfect example is last weekend. I was testing a new Tiger Shark dedicated to the .260, I was engaging a 12"x12" target at ONE MILE..yes...with a .260 and hitting the plate on the 4th shot..the first three would've hit a B-Mod.. and maintaining no more than a 12" group for ten shots rocking the plate back and forth. That's accuracy. As for noise reduction, I can shoot the .300 Hulk or .338LM and require no hearing protection at all. Sounds like a quick disconnect from an airhose at max. Very ear friendly for the guy laying next to you. My shooters here at TVP can back up that claim.
On that note, on April 17&18th TVP is holding and ALL SUPPRESSED RIFLE MATCH on paper at 1000 yards and ONE MILE. This would be a great chance to see which cans perform best for accuracy and noise reduction. It will be a four target agg. 5 shots for record group and score winner. Look for details on Tactical comps in the next day or so.
Anyone in the market for a high quailty high performance suppressor you owe it to yourself to check out a Shark. You wont regret it.

Tom Sarver
Thunder Valley Precision

I own an AAC stainless thread on Titan. On my 338 Lapua, the Titan is subjectively quieter than my 308 with my AAC 7.62 SD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawhornsoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own an AAC stainless thread on Titan. On my 338 Lapua, the Titan is subjectively quieter than my 308 with my AAC 7.62 SD. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">I believe it.</span>The known data backs that up as well.

I would like to chime in. What separates my cans most all of my cans is that they do come apart. Why would not a civilan want a can that is servicable by the user? Why would the Military not want a better better bang, for thier buck?? Its not that hard to service. I dont think the guys using sniper cans are stupid. Civilians your spending a lot of money 200 tax that is none refunadable. Quality is everything.

Some manufacturer's say thier cans will never need cleaning. In my opinion that really depends on the ammo and powders you are using. I have seen alot of cans sealed that needed cleaning. I have multiple thread adapters that can be used with all but one of my cans. I like threads because I feel they are the most accurate and repeatablity. Its not about sitting at home playing with your quick detach can on and off looking cool its about sound and accuracy, lets face it cans are cool by themselves.

Some people might spout of numbers and I am am not real impressed with numbers. John Titsworth is the only repuatable tester out there based on my dealings with him and the results I have seen. Sound meters do not have the whole story.

Quality of the machining, Quality of the welds. Mine are not welded some manufactures have actually weakened the tube by crappy welds that caused embrittlement. This caused the cans to fail.

In my opinion cans are made for a purpose everyone wants to get a multiple uses out of thier can. However, if its a light weight sniper can its not a full auto can. etc etc.The only can I sell at the moment is a 556 can that is fully welded. Hence its purpose. Full auto rated go dump some ammo.

Shark can the first one born out of a lack of customer service from another suppressor builder, purpose light weight sniper can. I like picking up a can thinking it has no baffles in it to discover its assembled.

Tigershark beefed up Shark for calibers, originally designed for 300 win mag. Guys are shooting 300 Ultra mag etc.

Jaws 338 can a bit heavy but it will last forever.

My favorite questions or statements at the range are
Is that a subsonic load? No full power ammo.
Those are illegal, actually they are not.
Man there is not any recoil.
No body saying "what What" after a session at the range.

I am not a gun writer; just a guy who builds a quality product,likes people to enjoy it and makes shooting more enjoyable for EVERYONE at the Range.

I rather loose money on my cans and keep my reputaion because lets face it that is what your buying from me. Let face it every manufacture has had a hicupp here and there its what you do about it that matters, Plus listening to the customer.

If you live near OHIO I plan to be at the Thunder Valley Range April 17,18 to shoot demo and answer questions.

David Whitson
www.Sharksuppressors.com
214-394-3529

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Surefire .338 can that I use on my .308. Works very well on under caliber rounds as well. Cools fast and no POI shift when I put it on.

</div></div>

Does the Sure Fire mount adaptor for the smaller than 338 calibers fit the 338 can? Or do you use the 338 mounts on the smaller barrels?

SHARK ALL THE WAY!!!! I have the pleasure of working with David and helping him with his cans when we both have time off from work an there is nothing but quality that goes into building them an painting them

Nothing about the new AI .338 Titanium from SHOT?

I dont shoot the 338LM and I havent purchased a suppressor for one. I did see a CC suppressor on one that was 19oz that sounded great though. I believe they were priced under $1000 also. I figured for a titanium suppressor that was hard to beat. I dont hear much about them on here but I just bought 1 in 30.cal and it awesome. Just my opinion anyway.

I had to google search their name and I found a forum where one of the guys with the company was posting some info. It took me some time to get solid contact info for them. They dont have a web-site. Seems like they must have enough business without advertising a lot cause they are extremely "low key" and prefer to stick with the LE,GOV,MIlItary guys . I can give you the guy I dealt withs email address. He was squared away and had no prob answering questions and sending info. PM me and I will send it to you. They also offer le/gov/mil pricing to not only the units but also individuals that are part of a unit for their personnal use. Pretty sweet.

If you have not decided yet on a Can, your welcome to come to TVP and demo our line of Shark Suppressors. The Jaws can is the top of the food chain when is comes to accuracy and other important features you should expect in a lifetime quality can. We are an Ohio exclusive dealer of Shark Suppressors and will set appointments for you to demo our products from our benches and or our short or longrange steel course.

Tom
TVP

I've got a Jaws on order from Tom at TVP. Its made of lightweight Titanium, and at 38 ounces, it still weighs as much as a stainless 338 can.

Its GOTTA be built for a lifetime of use!