• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Recommend books

I’ll add what you named to the list, but I’m primarily interested in the American eugenicists and isolationists of the pre-WWII 20th century

I was wondering if you were interested in eugenicists. I have virtually every book written by the classical eugenicists in the 1910s-1940s in the USA, in English.

I can get a list of the authors. The big ones are Paul Popenoe and Charles Benedict Davenport.

If it was written between 1890 and the 1940s by a prominent American or German eugenicist, I probably have an original first edition in English or German.

Reactions: Krugermeier
I was wondering if you were interested in eugenicists. I have virtually every book written by the classical eugenicists in the 1910s-1940s in the USA, in English.

I can get a list of the authors. The big ones are Paul Popenoe and Charles Benedict Davenport.

If it was written between 1890 and the 1940s by a prominent American or German eugenicist, I probably have an original first edition in English or German.
Do let me know, I’ll be buying these next.

I have all of Stoddard's books, original first editions. I also have first editions of both of Grant's books. I've read most of Stoddard and most of Grant.

The French Revolution in San Domingo was one of the hardest books to find an original first edition of, since there were only three known to be in existence in North America, and they were in various university libraries. Fortunately a friend of mine had one of the only known privately held copies and he sold it to me for a reasonable price.
A pdf of the entire book at the library of congress

Did @LawTalker get banned? WTF?

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad is my personal favorite book ever. You've read another outstanding and important war novel in Catch-22. I agree with Starrwriter that "All Quiet on the Western Front" is definitely worth a read. To be honest, I'm not so experienced with war novels, despite my favorite book being one.

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad is my personal favorite book ever.
For those who do not know, this is the story from which the Apocalypse Now movie was made, in spite of the novel being set in the nineteenth century Belgian Congo and the movie being set in twentieth century Vietnam War.

Reactions: Kalthoff
Finished this one the other day:
1699012150201.png

Written is a bit of a different style.

It will go into a well this and that happened, so and so was the medic on the mission, and then there is a part from the medic. I arrived as the chase medic, and lifted so and so out.....

The entire book it like that, and I really liked that style, part of the book is in 3rd person, but it cuts to first person for the parts when they are there and what they did. Sometimes they have 2-3 guys that served on the same operation giving their different views on the events. I liked that. It does go into a little of, well that was 50 years ago, I don't remember any B40 rockets but there sure could have been, I just don't remember them, it was a long time ago.

It really was a different style of telling the stories. At first it seemed a little "jumpy" I guess I will say, but as I got farther into it I liked it.

Currently I don't have one picked out, and that is odd for me. Work has been killing me lately and not much brain down time. I NEED to get started on another book to detach my mind a bit.

Picked up another finally last night, I was a bit drifty thinking what I should do next. Decided to stick with this same kick I have been on lately. Only about one chapter in, will update when I am finished.

1699358332922.png

I am about halfway through Kurt Schlichter's new Kelly Turnbull book, "Overlord". It is just as good as the previous books. It is scary how close we are to the "alternate reality" he conveys in these books.

I've seen P.T. Barnum mentioned several times recently with the usual fake quote about a sucker is born every minute.
He wrote a booklet about his success and he was an honorable man to his employees and his patrons.

Too bad so few follow the advice and principles he spelled out.

Last edited:
I am about halfway through Kurt Schlichter's new Kelly Turnbull book, "Overlord". It is just as good as the previous books. It is scary how close we are to the "alternate reality" he conveys in these books.
Update: I finished "Overlord" and it just kept getting better right to the end. If you like the Kelly Turnbull series, don't miss this one.

Picked up another finally last night, I was a bit drifty thinking what I should do next. Decided to stick with this same kick I have been on lately. Only about one chapter in, will update when I am finished.

View attachment 8266321

That one took a while it looks like.

I would say it is not a "hard" read, but you need to process what you are reading.

This goes into the "behind the scenes" of a great many of the operations you never hear about. Even the more famous ones like Eldest Son, Salem House, Operation Menu are covered, but some of the so obscure things are also covered.

And here is the good part it goes into the WHY'S behind the decisions made. Lightly touching on the "military" outlook on "cowboy" special forces people, but more on the reasons behind the missions and restrictions.

It is not kind to ambassador Sullivan in any way shape or form. Read the book and you think he is the reason we lost that war. And he had a good hand in it.

If you have ever wondered why Vietnam was so fucked up, this book will answer your questions.

Reading the Personal Memoirs of U. S. Grant.

The Project Gutenberg eBook of Memoirs of U. S. Grant, Complete by Ulysses S. Grant

It's a very interesting read. His detailed recollection names, places, troop movements and engagements is one of the things I like the most. I wonder how he could remember all the names. I guess that he used letters and orders that he had kept for reference. Or maybe his memory was just that good.

In the chapters that I've read s far, Grant's writing is not embellished. He simply relates what happened and does not overly insert his opinion.

Reactions: crackerbrown
About halfway through:

1703680073998.png

This one is really a series of interviews with different vets of WWII, done in the 80's-90's while most of them were still with us.

These are the "little" stories that get lost to time as the personal experiences are lost with the loss of each person.

It is VERY quick reading, and while not a great amount of detail, there are always little things you take out of books like this you did not know. It is not something that would be covered in a "big" book, just what the person telling the story felt was important and stuck with them for 40 years.

Even just halfway in I would give this one 5 of 5 stars.

I do Audible and I've really enjoyed these books...
The Day After Roswell by William J Birnes and Phillip Corso
Striking Back by Aaron J Klein
Area 51 by Annie Jacobsen
Skunk Works by Ben R Rich, Leo Janos
Blind Decent by James Tabor
Countdown 1945 by Chris Wallace, Mitch Weiss
Legacy of Ashes by Tim Weiner
Operation Paperclip by Annie Jacobsen
Kings Of Cocaine by Guy Gugliotta, Jeff Leen
The Spy In Moscow Station by Eric Haseltine
Dirty Wars by Jeremy Scahill
Blackwater by Jeremy Scahill
Killer Elite: Completely Revised and Updated by Michael Smith
The Operator by Robert O'Neill
The Reaper by Gary Brozek, Nicholas Irving
Dreamland by Bob Lazar, George Knapp

Reactions: DubfromGA and Ichi
Finished this one the other day:
View attachment 8263254

Written is a bit of a different style.

It will go into a well this and that happened, so and so was the medic on the mission, and then there is a part from the medic. I arrived as the chase medic, and lifted so and so out.....

The entire book it like that, and I really liked that style, part of the book is in 3rd person, but it cuts to first person for the parts when they are there and what they did. Sometimes they have 2-3 guys that served on the same operation giving their different views on the events. I liked that. It does go into a little of, well that was 50 years ago, I don't remember any B40 rockets but there sure could have been, I just don't remember them, it was a long time ago.

It really was a different style of telling the stories. At first it seemed a little "jumpy" I guess I will say, but as I got farther into it I liked it.

Currently I don't have one picked out, and that is odd for me. Work has been killing me lately and not much brain down time. I NEED to get started on another book to detach my mind a bit.
One of the books I'm currently listening to, it's not super interesting tbh and these are the types of books I like, I'll finish it but I had higher hopes for this book.

One of the books I'm currently listening to, it's not super interesting tbh and these are the types of books I like, I'll finish it but I had higher hopes for this book.
I really enjoy the "personal" stories in this book. Not sure how far you are in, but it does not sound like I will "spoil" anything for you so skip my post if you want.

I just got to where the POW's got to northern Japan. They talk of orange trees down south, and 4' of snow up north in the copper mine where they are now. Making mittens out of grass. I found that very interesting. The parts about the transport ships, one carried salt and played hell with the wounds on the feet, no shoes remember, the other concrete and everything covered in dust, sweat from their bodies just caked in concrete dust. First bath (cold water) in 45 days. In a hold of a ship for 5 weeks. I just can't get my head around how strong these guys are to have made it through that.

I really think it is what you are interested in. This one is more on the personal side of things.

Candace Owens - Blackout

Incredibly bright woman she's a firecracker and glad she is on our side. Hope she continues to write b/c she has a knack for brevity on topics the media over complicates. If she is smart she will stay out of politics and continue to spread common sense among the fields of the perpetually offended and aggrieved....with no filter.

Reactions: pilotjoe
I do Audible and I've really enjoyed these books...
The Day After Roswell by William J Birnes and Phillip Corso
Striking Back by Aaron J Klein
Area 51 by Annie Jacobsen
Skunk Works by Ben R Rich, Leo Janos
Blind Decent by James Tabor
Countdown 1945 by Chris Wallace, Mitch Weiss
Legacy of Ashes by Tim Weiner
Operation Paperclip by Annie Jacobsen
Kings Of Cocaine by Guy Gugliotta, Jeff Leen
The Spy In Moscow Station by Eric Haseltine
Dirty Wars by Jeremy Scahill
Blackwater by Jeremy Scahill
Killer Elite: Completely Revised and Updated by Michael Smith
The Operator by Robert O'Neill
The Reaper by Gary Brozek, Nicholas Irving
Dreamland by Bob Lazar, George Knapp

As a dude who grew up watching the X-Files.....I'm going to check out some from your list. (y)

Reactions: 30calDeath
This was not an enjoyable read in the end. The writing style reminded of Stephen Hunter, which is fine, but the plot was unsatisfying and felt kind of incomplete. Not sure if I want to try any of the other books in the series.

1000000385.jpg

1706194972866.png

I will give this one a C.

It goes into a little too much on him before the war, and goes into him a bit much after he left the Marines. The stories while he is in country are good and well written.

You can tell he is hitting on his politics by the few things he says about politics, and elected officials. That all could have been left out.

Aside from that I don't think there was enough detail on the convoy system, how it worked what each position was responsible for, Things like trail rider, convoy commander, security locations inside the convoy, things like this.

I really wanted to learn about "gun trucks" and the entire convoy system. Something I think was critical during the war and has not been covered like other areas. The trucks brought in everything.

Not enough detail in the specific convoy details.

The "stories" of issues with his Cpt and such are interesting to read, and you want to know what happens, same as when he is in "Arizona" country. But those are not fleshed out as much as I would like.

I grade this one a C.

1706873928440.png

I will give this one an A.

This was a fun book, some of the stories he has are just laugh out loud funny, fight in the bar that was ended with an M2 mounted on the back of a truck. Some are just horrid past horrid, the south vietnamese police chief's wife and child. Good god that is horrid.

I also like the way the book is written, it is like a bunch of short little stories on this or that. It is a VERY fast read.

This one is well worth the time.

Pretty much any thing by Jan de Hartog. Especially The Captain or The Spiral Road. The Spiral Road is perhaps the most intense book I've read. Why de Hartog didnt get more widely recognized eludes me. His work is easily the equal of Hemingway or Steinbeck.

1706895201102.png

1706895310090.png

Lee Child's series about Jack Reacher is more than great. Strong recommend!
I have read all the Jack Reacher books to date. The stories are compelling, but I am not that crazy about Mr. Child's writing style. He is from the UK, so while Reacher is as American as he can be, sometimes his phraseology doesn't quite come across. Plus, the writing is quite "choppy". Too many very short sentences. Just a bit weird. But the story is always good enough to keep me reading, so this is just one of my minor nit-picks.

I have read all the Jack Reacher books to date. The stories are compelling, but I am not that crazy about Mr. Child's writing style. He is from the UK, so while Reacher is as American as he can be, sometimes his phraseology doesn't quite come across. Plus, the writing is quite "choppy". Too many very short sentences. Just a bit weird. But the story is always good enough to keep me reading, so this is just one of my minor nit-picks.
Could you please recommend, say, top 5 detective books to read?

Sorry, can't really help you there. I read mostly "operator" books, like Mitch Rapp, Pike Logan, Scot Harvath, Jesse McDermott, and similar series. Don't really read much "detective" stuff. Hopefully someone else here on the forum can help you with that.

1708687287588.png

The story of a helicopter pilot in vietnam with the 1 cav.

Miniman, is what he was called was 1/4 inch under the height requirement to fly, but he managed to wiggle some friendships and get into flight school. Started in the 82 airborne, was in operation power pack, troops into the domician republic and saw the writing on the wall, Vietnam. So the long and the short he wiggles his way into flight school.

A very active pilot with more then a few rewards he managed to fly his entire tour without taking a single round to his helicopter. Miniman was "charmed".

It is a very fun book to read, and goes quite quickly. As it says in the book, they did some things.

Very good 5 out of 5 if you like Vietnam stories.

Just read "The Wager". It's about when England was at war with Spain and sent an armada into the Pacific to capture Spanish galleons. It is meticulously researched and based on the first-person accounts of the expedition from the officers (and from, remarkably, some literate sailors), and from the testimonies at the ultimate courts marshal years after the fact. It was well written, and a good book, but it's hard for me to "recommend" it, because it leaves you feeling exhausted.

If anyone has Master and Commander fantasies about privateering, life at sea, or naval warfare in general in the 18th century this book will thoroughly explode those fantasies.

Basically a couple of hundred pages of an ill conceived mission with poor ships, bad equipment, horrible conscripts, and poor leadership that results in disaster after disaster with a healthy dose of the heart of darkness of man thrown into the mix. Lots of descriptions of dying of scurvy, thirst, starvation, exposure, murder, etc., etc, etc. Sufice to say that they lost 1/4 of the flotilla's crew before they even made it to the Straights of Magellan. Only a single ship made it, and oddly enough they actually went up against a Spanish Man-O-War, defeated her, and brought back piles of gold and silver they captured; which makes the whole thing even more incredible as they all should be dead, especially all of those who were marooned.

Some twists at the end ala Crimson Tide in as much as Admiralty Law was somewhat vague about the status of pressed sailors after a shipwreck. I think it purposefully leaves you sort of adrift by the end of it. Technically historical fiction, but based 100% on first person accounts with nothing added, only an amalgamation of the accounts (which differed wildly).

1709551487113.png

A book about a bird dog pilot. Where he was based he supported the marines, not the army. He was an army pilot however.

A good book but not as good as some of the others. I would have liked more detail about the actual missions and flying the bird dog.

I will give it 3 out of 5 stars.

Michael Conally's Harry Bosch series. Any of them. There is a good TV series based on them too.

I have made it a little over half way thru Black Ops Vietnam but became over whelmed by acronyms and have taken a break to let my brain unwind. I have completed a couple of Alan W Eckart's novels of the early 1800's on the frontier since the break.. Every event happened, the characters were actually people and many of the words of the character's are from history. Deeply researched American history that is entertaining.

Last edited:
1710325528541.png

I read this one because I wanted to do the trifecta,
1710325594544.png

I had never read it till this week. It was a fast read but, and I might take some flak about it, I really did not care for it. I really can't go into why without spoilers so unless someone asks I will respond in another post.

I do "get it" but I am not sure what I did not like about it. I think it would be a little more applicable if you have Atlas Shrugged in there. 451 does make some interesting looking at the current world, but over all just ok.

Really all I can say now is, I have read it.

I listened to it rather than read, but I highly recommend Lucky 666. The story of Jay Zeamer and the Old 666,

Gripping to say the least. A renegade and his crew who made a major contribution towards winning the war in the Pacific.

IMG_3024.jpeg

Good read and details of SEAL ops such as 2009 Maersk Alabama hijacking and the bin Laden raid, and many others.
1710466649368.png

I saw the photo above and just wanted to toss this out there, I am sure it will be a shock to none.

The New York Times Best Seller list is not based on actual sales, it is opinion only. They will not push books they don't like.

I think this came out last week IIRC.

Walking Point: An infantryman's Untold Story.

There are a bunch of books that start out with Walking Point. This one is by Cunningham.
1711104900508.png

It is written in diary format. March 14 1968,
Charlie company was due to be rotated out of...........................

Basically the book it all like this. I actually enjoy this style it gives me a good hard timeline to the events that happened.

This is the story of an 18yr old kid that volunteered to go to Vietnam, joined the army for 3 years and off he went. He requested just what he got, infantry vietnam.

It goes through his time there a basic guy in the ranks. It is interesting in that aspect. This was just one of the no name guys in the jungle with a rifle. This is basically what this basic guy did.

When it gets to the end I will say it ends is a pretty sad way. This guy has some kind of medical issue, he says he does not know to this day. They drag him back from a patrol, the Cpt. finally lets him evac, he goes to the aid station they say, Malaria, give him some meds and he goes to sleep. He wakes up in pain and they think his appendix ruptured, off to Da Nang. They start poking around, the book gets a little vague, but say his appendix is fine, but they then send him to Japan. Now he is short, three months to go and it is back to the states. He is torn between going home and leaving his buddies, I can relate to this. You feel like you abandon them. Falls into booze, gets sent to Germany when his request to go back to Vietnam is refused, this is a little odd. Finally says he cleans himself up.

I finished it and liked it, the end was a bit of a downer, but I can see that. When that gilt hits self destruction is something that many have to deal with. And then as is now they don't help you with any of that crap.

Pretty good book, 4 out of 5 stars.

The Summer of 1876.

Outlaws, Lawmen and legends in the season that defined the American West.

Just finished the majority of the book describing the battle of the Little Big Horn. It’s an interesting read that holds one to the book. To quote the movie, We Were Soldiers Once, and Young,. “Custer was an idiot.” Major Reno was drunk but between his bouts of drinking too much and Benteens, reasonable savvy, the day was saved, but by What?

It’s the best read I’ve had in a couple years. Recommended.

IMG_3113.jpeg

The Summer of 1876.

Outlaws, Lawmen and legends in the season that defined the American West.

Just finished the majority of the book describing the battle of the Little Big Horn. It’s an interesting read that holds one to the book. To quote the movie, We Were Soldiers Once, and Young,. “Custer was an idiot.” Major Reno was drunk but between his bouts of drinking too much and Benteens, reasonable savvy, the day was saved, but by What?

It’s the best read I’ve had in a couple years. Recommended.

View attachment 8384953
I just bought this as an Apple E book. Thumbing through looks really good - just the kind of stuff I like - thanks for posting this

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
If you guys like Forstcher. A American books you will love as well. Walking home and the rest of the series are awesome.
Old post I know, but if you liked Going home and One second after, try Bruno Millers Dark Road series. 15 books in all, the last (and Final) one just came out. I've had it for 2 days now and about 3/4 the way thru. Like Going home & one second after hard to put down at times.

Reactions: Prebanpaul
1712758351199.png

What to call this book......sci fi, I mean talking animals and pigs that can read and walk on two legs......two legs baaaad, four legs gooooood. Nevermind, Four legs gooood, two legs better.

It is a commentary on the commie way of thinking, what do you think about it Benjiman
1712758539472.png

Is it a philosophy book, saying how someone is always going to be in control and just being in control means you are going to be a tyrant. No I don't think it is this one.

As to the book itself, you need to get past the talking animals and just go with that. It is a very quick read, and I have a feeling you will see what is coming miles down the road.

I can fully understand why this book is banned in the former USSR, and why it is currently banned in both Cuba and China.

So Squeeler, what say you to that.