• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Recommend books

^^^ There are a couple of good book threads in Snipers Hide Movie Theater.... Suggest (for more serious responses and thread longevity) that we move this over there.

Forstchen (I assume you have a typo there) is pretty good. He has become a bit of a historical fiction writer. If you like his stuff, you will love the classic Kenneth Roberts books, especially Northwest Passage and Arundel.

Tucker301 feel like moving this over? Has the makings of a great thread.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: jpickens
Most anything by jan de Hartog. Especially, "The Spiral Road". "The Captain", and "The Peaceable Kingdom"

I will be reading Indeh, both novels, by Eve Ball, and the one by Ethan Hawke (yes, that Ethan Hawke...), in an effort to get a better insight into Cochise, the Apache Wars, and the late 19th century history of my own local area; and the The Three Day Road, about the background of the character as the top Canadian sniper in WWI and the influence of his Native American history on his role.

In part inspired by the legend of Francis Pegahmagabow, the great Indian sniper of World War I, Three-Day Road is an impeccably researched and beautifully written story that offers a searing reminder about the cost of war.

Greg

We all probably have read something by Stephen Hunter featuring Bob Lee Swagger but I read virtually everything he has written up through the last couple of years. "Dirty White Boys" is actually my favorite by Hunter. It's the best crime novel ever IMHO.

This one is an excellent read... especially for those who own guns but don't quite get gun ownership

It is dated as it was written largely before the Internet and Cell Phones

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unintended_Consequences_(novel)

Unintended Consequences is a novel by John Ross, first published in 1996 by Accurate Press.[SUP][1][/SUP] The story chronicles the history of the gun culture, gun rights, and gun control in the United States from the early 1900s through the late 1990s. Although clearly a work of fiction, the story is heavily laced with historical fact, including historical figures who play minor supporting roles. The protagonist is very active in competitive shooting sports, as is the author; so unusually detailed and intricate facts, figures and explanations of firearms-related topics, ornament the narrative and drive the plot.

While out of print, there are many digital copies on the interweb.....

Moving on, back to Robert B. Parker. I've been reading too much SyFy lately.

Unintended Consequences was on a waiting list back at my old Range Club. We had two copies in constant circulation.

Made a lot of us wonder, what ir...

Greg

ARTEMIS...by the author of THE MARTIAN..about a mafia type group, mrrder etc on a colony on the moon (named Artemis)...if U like Hokey SciFi..

My 2 cents:

As much as I loved the Vince Flynn books, I think Brad Taylor's Pike Logan series is better. Brad Thor books rank third in my mind. I didn't discover Brad Taylor until just recently and I don't know how I overlooked such a good writer that also gets all the gun stuff right.

Avoid Ben Coes if you like technical accuracy. The guy is a complete idiot that does zero research for his novels.

Unintended Consequences by John Ross is a must read for any gun geek.

Stephen Hunter's Swagger books are good, but I think his earlier works are better than the later stuff. (I haven't read G-man yet.)

On my table right now:

Attacks - Erwin Rommel (probably the 7th time Ive read it)
Into Infamy - Joe Chamblin (he's a Hider, got an autographed copy from him)
Fry the Brain - John West (skip the 'introduction to firearms' parts early on; get into the theory of how different types of engagements are fought and why)
Be an Expert with Map and Compass - Bjorn Kjellestrom (realized a while ago that I totally fucking suck at LANDNAV and rely on GPS way too much)
The Forgotten Solider - Guy Sajer
Knights Cross - Sepp Allerberger (managed to get it autographed before he died as well as a picture of him I have in my office). I also used his 'floating umbrella' camouflage trick

eta - Everyone needs to read 'War of the Rats' (none of this Enemy at the Gates bullshit) as well as 'A Rifleman went to war'. Should be required SH reading before you can post or something.

No Easy Day and Inside Delta Force are both excellent if youre into military novels

Neither are novels... both are non-fiction. And, interestingly, both authors are pariahs in their communities as a result. What do I know... I was in marketing.

Great book for those interested in WW2 is Bomber Harris by Dudley Saward. Very detailed information on the WW2 air assault on Germany. Also some really interesting information on very early combined operations in the sandbox... c. 1920's. I think of it as a companion piece to the books on Curtis LeMay. They were soul-mates, if not acquaintances. Harris was a hard-a$$ by any definition. LeMay got the press. Harris got the blame.

For kilo... some better books on the communities are Beckwith's "Delta Force" about the formation. And Brave Men Dark Waters about the early days of the teams.

German... Into Infamy is a worthwhile read. No... better than that. A read almost required by us here on SH. Like you, I got to know the author here on SH and have a personal copy of his book. He got fully-exonerated earlier this year and I posted the finding on his behalf. A fantastic outcome for a guy who totally didn't deserve the screwing he got at the hands of the turd-burglars that infested the White House and Pentagon for much of the last decade. His getting cleared, while it didn't resurrect his great career.... at least proved he was right. Great guy!

Sajer's book is great, too.

Another interesting book, hard to find in CONUS is "The Quiet Soldier" by Adam Ballinger. About selection into the 21 SAS, their territorials regiment. Not as well known as the 22nd... but just as bada**.. Interesting guys.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Neither are novels... both are non-fiction. And, interestingly, both authors are pariahs in their communities as a result. What do I know... I was in marketing.

Great book for those interested in WW2 is Bomber Harris by Dudley Saward. Very detailed information on the WW2 air assault on Germany. Also some really interesting information on very early combined operations in the sandbox... c. 1920's. I think of it as a companion piece to the books on Curtis LeMay. They were soul-mates, if not acquaintances. Harris was a hard-a$$ by any definition. LeMay got the press. Harris got the blame.

For kilo... some better books on the communities are Beckwith's "Delta Force" about the formation. And Brave Men Dark Waters about the early days of the teams.

German... Into Infamy is a worthwhile read. No... better than that. A read almost required by us here on SH. Like you, I got to know the author here on SH and have a personal copy of his book. He got fully-exonerated earlier this year and I posted the finding on his behalf. A fantastic outcome for a guy who totally didn't deserve the screwing he got at the hands of the turd-burglars that infested the White House and Pentagon for much of the last decade. His getting cleared, while it didn't resurrect his great career.... at least proved he was right. Great guy!

Sajer's book is great, too.

Another interesting book, hard to find in CONUS is "The Quiet Soldier" by Adam Ballinger. About selection into the 21 SAS, their territorials regiment. Not as well known as the 22nd... but just as bada**.. Interesting guys.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Thanks for the correction mechanic, Beckwith sounds like a very interesting guy. I'll have to look into Delta Force for sure. Just added Into Infamy to my Amazon list as well.

If anybody has interest in intelligence operations these are two oldies but goodies. The "Penskovsky Papers" recounts the story of Oleg Penskovky, a Russian Colonel who provided US and GB with strategic intel. during the sixties. The second is "The Spy Who Came In From the Cold" by John LeCarre". A fictional account (?) of a MI6 false flag operation that led to the entire George Smiley series by LeCarre. Both exhibit well researched tradescraft knowledge and are great reads.

Anecdotally, these and even Bond books were part of a reading list we had when I was at Ft. Holabird in '67.

Edit: '68 not '67. What's a year, give or take, after a half century?

Last edited:
As recommended by another here, "Agent Zigzag" is an excellent book. I'm about 2/3rds of the way through it so far, and quite interesting.

Non-Fiction.

Reading a Christmas book... Killing England. One of the Bill O'Reilly series. They are not 'deep thought' history books. But any book in that series is a great light read and I always learn some new and interesting factoids.

This one is about the Revolutionary War. It's well done. Well-sourced and engagingly-written. Definitely recommend! Not for its academic original research, but for its readability! You will enjoy it!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Just finished, "Verbal Judo "by George Thompson. Good book. Right before that I read,
BOUNTY HUNTER 4/3 by Jason Delgado,
The Operator by Robert O'Neill
A handful of hard men, by Hannes Wessels
Twilight Warriors by Jame Kitfield

I didn't think there was a bad one in the bunch, a Handful of Hard Men is a great read.

I'd love to see a forum dedicated to books on Snipers Hide.. There have been a variety of SH threads over the years on books, but they seem to come and go. I've gotten lots of good recommendations from them.

In any case, a couple of my recent reads:

Brad Taylor - the whole Pike Logan series is really good. If you like Brad Thor you will like these.

Stephen Hunter's latest Swagger book, G-man, OK but disappoints with some PC BS and a weak ending.

Just completed the first of the Scott McEwen Sniper Elite series, One Way Trip and it was great. Just ordered the second book from my library. If you like fiction and you are here on SH, don't miss these.

There's tons of older stuff, but I'll just stick with my most recent reads for now.

FWIW, I just finished reading the "Level Zero Heroes" yesterday, and I have to ask 2 things:
1-has anyone else read it?
2-how true (and rampant) is the leadership scenario described in the book?

I'll leave all other questions about the popularity of fragging and such alone for the moment.

As a young competitor at the US Pistol Nationals, I asked Bill Blankenship how to make the break from expert class shooting to master. I explained how often I performed at that level but wondered why I still had the occasional bad match. He gave me some really obscure advise: "clean your room" Now two and a half decades later, I understand what he meant.

Accordingly, I'm reading Jocko Willink on Discipline and Freedom.

To those seeking to surpass excellence... eliminate any other conflicts in your life that assert a drain...become one with your task and achieve without regret.

Loved the Mitch Rapp character, Flynn always had me turning the page. Read Atlas Shrugged in my early 20s,read it twice since then. The Fountainhead is another good read. Ayn Rand is probably rolling in her grave seeing what has transpired in the last decade! Who is John Galt.

Drawman: Your comments remind me of a recent little book called, "Make Your Bed" by Admiral William McRaven. A good read of inciteful anecdotes and stories.

Monster hunter international series by Larry correia is a great series if you like guns and syfy. Highly recommend.

“Extreme Ownership” by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin. I think it deserves its own thread and should be bumped to the top daily to spread the word.

"Lawrence in Arabia" (not the movie). Lawrence had a much greater role in the Arab revolt against the Ottomans than the movie shows. With no military training or experience, his operations, with initial reluctance by the British intelligence, with the Arab rebels were probably a model for the Green Berets and other special forces operating with native rebels in later wars/conflicts. Other secondary characters are a Yale scion who becomes a spy for Standard Oil, a Jewish agricultural expert who sets up his spy ring in Palestine, and a German spy master who convinces the sister of one of the future founders of Israel to become a spy for the Germans! Lawrence also has some argumentive meetings with Sykes and Picot about their secret agreement to carve up the Middle East between Britain and France. Interestingly Yale found that the Arabs wanted the US to be the arbiter in monitoring the Arab nation building and not the Europeans. This book could become a great tv series.

Last edited:
Just finished George Orwells "Animal Farm.

Carnivore, by James Tarr,Dillard Johnson

"House to House",by SSGT. David Bellavia

"The leaders bookshelf", by R.Manning Ancell,
This book really opened up my reading list again, it's a review of the top fifty books that Military leaders recommend, from Patton to James Mattis. A really good read with lots of insight into what these officers read and have learned from their reading.

And I just picked up the 6 volume set of Winston Churchill books and I plan on tackling that in the summer under a shade tree with a good cigar for company.

Reactions: wth and jpickens
For non fiction
12 strong by Doug Stanton.
Death in Yellowstone by Lee H. Whittlesey
Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden
The Great Escape by Paul Brickhill

For fiction
Anything by Tom Clancy

For non fiction
12 strong by Doug Stanton.
Death in Yellowstone by Lee H. Whittlesey
Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden
The Great Escape by Paul Brickhill

For fiction
Anything by Tom Clancy

Agree with Clancy, always enjoy his work. Death in Yellowstone is a good and interesting read. I really enjoyed Stephen Ambrose's Undaunted Courage.
Mike

Agree with Clancy, always enjoy his work. Death in Yellowstone is a good and interesting read. I really enjoyed Stephen Ambrose's Undaunted Courage.
Mike

Just googled Undaunted courage and I think I’m going to buy it.

Just googled Undaunted courage and I think I’m going to buy it.

I really enjoyed it. He did extensive research that covers not only every part of their journey, but what was most interesting for me, was how the journey was formulated. From an idea to its implementation. I hope you enjoy it.
Mike

Just finished reading "DUTY,memoirs of a secretary at war" by Robert Gates. Damn good book. Lots of insight,and I think a very honest telling of events and people that Bob Gates was surrounded by .He served as SECDEF with Bush and Obama. One of those books I hated to see end.

Three books come to mind when asked:
Starship Troopers - Robert Heinlein
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
Uncle John's Bathroom Reader

Heinlein was on the recommended reading list at the NCOA

Both of the first two were turned into fairly meh movies.

My main areas of interest tend to be military non-fiction. To that end, and in no particular order, here are what I can remember right now:

Panzer Commander, kind of a memoir of Hans Von Luck and his years in the WWII german military
Feet Wet, assorted stories from a guy in Naval aviation going all the way back to the Langley
Rogue Warrior, this was Marcinko's first book, and I really liked it
Point Man, by James Watson, more real stories from VietNam Seals (possibly my favorite)
Marine Sniper, not mentioned above, and for new members, should be required reading to post (read this at least 4 times)
Snake Driver!, stories of helicopter war in VietNam
Six Silent Men, stories about LRRPs in VietNam

Reactions: obx22 and jpickens
Just finished reading” Once an Eagle” by Anton Mayer. Excellent book . I looked it up online and apparently it was made into a nine hour miniseries back in 1976 starring Sam Elliot. I plan on tracking that down and watching it but I highly doubt it will do the book justice.

1525745159934.png
1525745289558.png
1525745367659.png