• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Recommend lightweight optic for Scar 17

vincent317

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2013
NC
Well it looks like I will be acquiring another Scar 17 tomorrow so I'm looking for a new optic. I've turned my first Scar 17 into a heavyweight with a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 so this time out I am looking to go lightweight and set the rifle up to shoot no longer than 200 yards with most shooting under 100 yards. My budget is $1800.

My original thought was to go with an Aimpoint T1 and add a 3x magnifier with a Larue flip to side mount. The only problem I see with this setup is that they do not line up exactly together (per Larue's webpage). If anyone is using an Aimpoint T1 with a 3x magnifier, I would like your input. Also, is there a flip to side mount that will line up the T1 and magnifier correctly?

At this point I am not ruling out a 1-4,1-5,1-6, etc... variable optic as long as it is lightweight and will work with the Scar 17. My only reason with trying to stick with a red dot is because I just put an Aimpoint Pro on an AR and really do like the fast acquisition of the red dot system. If there is a variable optic out there that will provide the same functionality at 1x as the Aimpoint and will be lightweight and have plenty of eye relief, I would be open to your suggestions.

Lastly, I just want to thank the folks here and the forum sponsors for the input provided on my previous 3 scope purchases. The input and recommendations were right on the money.

How far out do you plan to shoot the new rifle? Also, do you have a budget you're working within? Low power variables definitely give you the greatest versatility, particularly the type with a daytime visible illuminated dot. They're just like an Aimpoint on 1x and you have 4-6x for longer engagements. If your targets are 100yds and in, the Aimpoint should work fine.

As for low power variables, the best for the $ right now is the Vortex Razor 1-6x. Great scope (SFP) for the money with the only knock being that it's a bit on the heavy/bulky side. Up from there (price wise) is the Leupold MKVI 1-6x which is FFP. Top quality are the Khales and Swarovski 1-6x. Tremendous SFP glass with a price tag to match. There are others as well, more and more all the time it seems.

I've been in the same boat. I have a dual role setup on my heavy. When it comes to precise work it wears a F1 and when it's center mass run and gun I use a pro. Both do a great job at what I use them for. Lately I been thinking about a 2.5X10 NF might be the perfect setup, only problem is up close it will never be as fast as the pro. Another thing is, I like the red dot at night or in dim lighting. Maybe someone can chime in about the other lower mag vari scopes in this role. But I owned a AccuPoint 1-4x24 and it was heavy and really did not give anything at the 4x with the triangle.

I make consistent hits on chest size rocks out to 600 yds easily with 2moa non magnified Aimpoint

put your Pro on the new 17s and give it a try before you buy magnification

spent the rest on ammo/components if you end up saving some of the $1800

I make consistent hits on chest size rocks out to 600 yds easily with 2moa non magnified Aimpoint

put your Pro on the new 17s and give it a try before you buy magnification

spent the rest on ammo/components if you end up saving some of the $1800
]

I have ran all my vortex scopes on my SCAR17. HS 4-16 a PST 4-16 and a PST 1-4. I loved how lightweight it was with the 1-4x PST. With that it was a lazer 200 yards and in. I even took it to 850yards with the 1-4x and was making consistent hits on a piece of steel that is 8" wide and 20" tall. I have since put the 4-16 back on it to develop a load for it as I have got a few new powders to try. But after I have a developed load the 1-4x will be going back on it. Loved it with that. The Vortex 1-4 is only $500.... It is a great scope for the $.

Last edited:
I have to try out more of the 1-4x or 1-6x scopes. Everything I checked so far was either making me dizzy from the price tag (S&B, Swarovski 6Zi) or from the distortion, eye box sensitivity, and tunnel vision at 1x.

An alternative to the low power scopes would be a Trijicon RMR 3.25 MOA on a KZ mount. It doesn't get any more compact and faster that this. I can see and reliably hit 3.5 MOA targets with the RMR on my 3Gun AR15 especially if I use the peep sight behind it. Plus the intensity adjustable version of the RMR works great with a PVS 14 or PVS 7 goggles.

Center of glass is 1.400" above rail top with the KZ mount. Check whether there is a magnifier available for that height. I build my own Po' Boy magnifier from a Hensoldt anti-tank scope and that works well behind the RMR. I use the magnifier mainly to zero the RMR precisely. Larue used to sell the Po' Boy as a complete flip-up unit and they show up on fleabay now and then. Not sure about the height though.

Another great 1x red dot is the Zeiss ZPoint. It obscures the field of vision a little more than the RMR but I prefer it over the T1. However, you have to build your own mounts if you want to co-witness irons. I used ARMS bases with the new, adjustable levers and milled a piece of Picatinny rail to the correct height. The Zpoint clamps directly on a rail but it sits way too low without a riser. Zeiss designed it for hunting rifles and shotguns and it is a very sturdy unit.

The ZPoint and the Hensoldt magnifier are a match made in heaven (or unintentionally by the same company). That setup sits on a 300AAC 'pistol' AR with a SIG brace and everyone who shot this commented "Wow, that is sweet". Bindon Aiming is easy with the 2.5x magnification and I would use this sight setup for 3Gun if it would not push me in the overcrowded Tac Optics division.

Last edited:
I would look at a March 1-8. For me it is a great optic for the SCAR.

Don't laugh: How about an ACOG or similar? I have a Burris AR332 that cost $250 and I've been thrilled with it. Has an etched BDC reticle that doesn't require batteries, good glass, and is very usable on IPSC type targets to 400ish yards or more. 3X power is too much for "room clearing" type engagements, but once you're shooting 10-15 yards or more, 3X has been great.

I know a SCAR is kind of too nice for a Burris, but again, I am very happy with mine. I like it every bit as much as an ACOG, maybe more (gasp!).

I run both a March 3-24x42 and a Leopold VX 1-6 on my Scar 17. I prefer the March, but for close quarters, the Leopold has quicker sight acquisition. 6x is fine for 200 yards but 8x would be optimum since the Scar is highly accurate for a semi-auto .308. The suggestion for the March 1-8 is a good one, but it's twice the OP's stated budget.
Skip

That's a smokin' deal. I paid about the same for my illuminated March 3-24x42 but those deep discounts on hardly used scopes don't come around that often.
Skip

A buddy had a March1-8x at the range the other day. 1x was actually .75x - definitely smaller than 1x on the lowest magnification setting. Do you guys notice the same thing?

Thanks for the input / suggestions. I decided to go with the Vortex Razor GenII 1-6. It is a little heavier than what I was originally looking for but an Aimpoint red dot with a magnifier just seemed too complicated with the different mounts and trying to get the magnifier lined up with the T1. I do see a T1 or the new T2 in my future running stand alone on the SCAR 17. A big thank you to Jay for talking scopes and weights this morning.

A buddy had a March1-8x at the range the other day. 1x was actually .75x - definitely smaller than 1x on the lowest magnification setting. Do you guys notice the same thing?

I can't say that I have noticed that with mine. I will check it out as soon as I get home.

If you want light weight, super optical and lots of power with insane reticle ... I am selling a like new Swarovski Z5 5-25x52 with BRX reticle for $1,400. PM if interested. This scope will surprise the heck out of you. More tactical than ever.

Totally normal. It looked like .75x to you because the diopter was set to your buddies' eye instead of your own. That combined with the fact that the lens is closer to the target than your eye can make the image look like less than 1x.

I'm assuming you didn't adjust his diopter? Imho, messing with someone else's diopter is akin to molestation.

Talking about the March I had from Joe? Yeah it didn't matter how I had the diopter set there was always that feel of "the target is further away" on 1x. If it was turned up to 1.1 or whatever that went away and when I looked at horizontal lines like the ones in doors, then they all lined up. I understand that the focal point has been moved forward of your eye that is not looking though the optic so it's hard to get that true 1x feel like most expect (aimpoint look etc..) . It is a light little optic though and as with all March optics have some great glass and some of the best turrets out there imo. A capped windage turret would be nice though since it's set and forgotten about.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited: