• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Recommend me a competition pistol

MP pro 5" with a combo of Apex springs and factory trigger shoe, several thousand rounds with no issue. I do need to replace the front sight with a better fiber optic tube.

I'd go with one of those or a glock to start with, easy on the wallet if you decide the game isn't for you. Plenty of other guns will be there to try, just ask.

I’ve shot both a Glock 34 (production/limited minor) and Sig P320 X5 Legion (Carry Optics) in competition. Both are great guns can’t go wrong with either, but if I was to choose I’d go with the Sig P320 X5 Legion. It has more weight so it helps with recoil, trigger is better out of the box and it was built with competition in mind. Only downside was the lack of holster options, I use a Red Hill Tactical which is great quality. I worked out a deal and after tax my Legion was $800.

The Glock does has more aftermarket parts accessories and holster options.

I know and see a lot of shooters using CZ as well. They make great firearms, but with production you have to start hammer down on them and on more than a few occasions I’ve seen CZ shooters DQ’ed while trying to lower the hammer, but messed up and bark off a round into the dirt.

I know and see a lot of shooters using CZ as well. They make great firearms, but with production you have to start hammer down on them and on more than a few occasions I’ve seen CZ shooters DQ’ed while trying to lower the hammer, but messed up and bark off a round into the dirt.
They make pistols with decockers.............not only do you not get DQ's at make ready you also get a shorter DA trigger reach because the hammer starts at the half cock notch instead of all the way down.

P-09 carry optics.jpg

I did that twice the first time I had my Shadow 2 out. Hasn’t happened since. You just put your thumb in front of hammer. Its a training issue, not a gun issue.

Oh and RHT makes a fine holster, have several for my S2 and 226.

Tried out a few CZs yesterday:

CZ P10F: I liked it more than my XDm 4.5 but was not different enough to justify buying
CZ SP-01: Shot great for me, ergos not ideal. Couldn't reach slide release and struggled with mag release (short thumbs)
CZ Shadow: Same as P01. Extended mag release helped

The two CZ75 models shot well for me, but I wasn't too thrilled with the ergos. I will continue to shoot others and these are not crossed off the list.

I'm sure someone will recommend just competing with the XDm I already have. My answer to that is: that doesn't satisfy the urge to buy a new gun.
I must say, you are the only person that I am aware of that had issues with CZ ergo's. I'm not saying others don't exist, but you are the first I am aware of.
Maybe you should start a club or something.
I am an unabashed CZ fan, though I do like 1911's as well as well as the M&P series.
I can't stand the ergo's of the Glock, but that's me.

Reactions: 308pirate
If you look hard enough, you can get a shadow 2 for that price. It is better than anything on your list :)

Looking for a new pistol for multigun matches. I'm looking for something ready to go out the box, optics ready, and something I can easily find a holster/mags for. Not looking to get into 1911s and looking at a budget around 1200.

So far on my list of guns to try out are:

CZ P10F
CZ SP-01
Canik TP9SFX
Walther PPQ Q5 match
Glock 34

Anything else I'm missing? I'm fairly new to the handgun world.
what division and organization?

bench

Looking for a new pistol for multigun matches. I'm looking for something ready to go out the box, optics ready, and something I can easily find a holster/mags for. Not looking to get into 1911s and looking at a budget around 1200.

So far on my list of guns to try out are:

CZ P10F
CZ SP-01
Canik TP9SFX
Walther PPQ Q5 match
Glock 34

Anything else I'm missing? I'm fairly new to the handgun world.
Sign P210? I just ordered one for myself, I don't shoot competitively, just for fun, but the one I tried before ordering mine was nice enough to get me to drop $1200 for one.

I’m still running the full weight SP-01.
That Shadow 2 looks oh so tempting.

Reactions: 308pirate
what division and organization?

bench
Local matches have IDPA and occasionally USPSA and 3gun.

Prefer production for USPSA and tac for 3 gun. No preference for IDPA.

I ended up getting the Sig X5 legion which I'm liking a lot.

shiny pistols are nice to own but not necessary to compete if your skills are up to snuff you could save a small bit more than 1200 and get a nice 1911 just have to find one if that is what you want or a nice 9mm or what ever caliber it is you desire a cheaper gun nice trigger and trigger job add red dot if you want it what more could you ask for besides grit and determination , only you can prevent forest fires . Good luck with what ever you decide to get and good luck if you decide to compete with it . You can do it .

I'm currently shooting Production with a G34 Gen 5 with Dawson sights and an Apex trigger. Initially had issues with shooting left (and got pissed) but figured out that it's definitely me... Scared to try a Shadow 2 because my wife might end up with a new pistol (or two!).

Don’t be scared... I sold my 34gen5 after buying my S2. Do not regret it.

This is the way.

Reactions: fyaman43
The pull on the double action (especially after about 1k rounds + dryfire) is akin to the warm, wet sensation of a certain part of the female anatomy.

as said above depends on division but

CZ Shadow 2
CZ Tactical Sport Orange used maybe ( a rare unicorn)
SPS Pantera
SIG X5 Legion

You cannot beat a heavy gun on recoil. Believe me I tried really hard to get a poly framed gun to weigh the same but 44 oz-ish range is a game changer in recoil. I went to and STI EDGE loved it ended up building another.

Does anyone have any direct experience shooting an AccuShadow vs Shadow 2?

The only two CZ pistols that come optics ready out of the box are the Optics Ready versions of the P-10 series and the Shadow 2. Everything else CZ makes has to be sent to have the slide machined which limits you to sights that match your chosen footprint; and none will end up with the sight as low as you can mount it on the P-10 Optics Ready.

I keep swinging between the P-09 that I had milled and the P-10F OR.

The slide release is a non-issue. Hit it with the weak hand thumb on your way to re-establishing your grip after a reload. As far as the mag release, probably 75% of people out there cannot reach them without rotating the pistol at least a little bit (me included). I have tried extended mag releases that stick farther out but end up depressing them with my weak hand as I grip the gun, so I make do with a slight rotation. Dry fire enough and it's also a non-issue.

Of all your CZ options the Shadow 2 is the absolute best and the P-10F is the most cost effective. All the others should be discarded if you want a reflex sight on the gun.

You are Right on milling cost issue. I decided to fix this by making it "cheaper" and spent 3k in a milling machine and another 4k in tooling. :sneaky: my wife called it the greatest scam I ever pulled on her. But yes if optics is a must either pick a gun that comes with it or be prepared for a several hundred dollar machining bill.

Reactions: MadDuner
Fake news on the expensive milling work. My S2 slide is enroute from CGW and only cost me $280 including the cost of a new rear sight, would probably be less if I didn’t need BUIS. Will post pics asap.

To the member asking about an Accushadow 2 vs an S2, look up The Honest Outlaw on Youtube and search for both. He actually turned me on to look at CZs and has a lot of content on the Shadow line.

Seems that the AS2 is just an S2 with a CZ Custom tuned trigger. My stock trigger on my S2 has a 2.75# SA, unknown DA (but smooth). Due to how good mine feels, I opted not to get a trigger job while it was at CGW.

To the member asking about an Accushadow 2 vs an S2, look up The Honest Outlaw on Youtube and search for both. He actually turned me on to look at CZs and has a lot of content on the Shadow line.

Seems that the AS2 is just an S2 with a CZ Custom tuned trigger. My stock trigger on my S2 has a 2.75# SA, unknown DA (but smooth). Due to how good mine feels, I opted not to get a trigger job while it was at CGW.

Thanks - I've seen Honest Outlaw's vids - he does give great reviews of both.

The Accu also has a barrel bushing which should increase accuracy (3" group at 50 yards according to CZ...), just trying to see if the custom trigger and bushing are worth the extra cost compared to an already top notch pistol.

@fyaman43

Honestly, I’d grab the S2 and shoot 1-2k rounds through it. If the pistol is holding you back, spring for the upgrade. If you are like me, it’ll be a long time before you even see 8” groups at 50.

Trigger breaks in very nicely.

Reactions: fyaman43
Local shop has a S2 orange. Very tempting but I’m just shooting so well with the X5, I don’t think I’ll see the benefit. The gun is definitely not the limiting factor.

@fyaman43

Honestly, I’d grab the S2 and shoot 1-2k rounds through it. If the pistol is holding you back, spring for the upgrade. If you are like me, it’ll be a long time before you even see 8” groups at 50.

Trigger breaks in very nicely.

Yeah, the difference between the gun is not the issue and the gun is *really* not the issue.

I would like to have a Shadow 2 from the custom shop and a DWX! That would be fun.

I run a DW PM-45 for Single Stack and love it. I added VZ grips, Dawson magwell, oversize mag release and slide release.