• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend Me a Drop In Rem. 700 Trigger.

TORCHRIDER

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2010
I am looking for a decent drop in trigger for my R700 short action in .308. Not shooting benchrest, mainly shooting steel at long range so don't need a trigger in ounces. What do you recommend?

I bought a Triggertech Primary last Black Friday and only installed it this summer, so I don’t have much time behind it. However, the time I do have behind it I really like it. Everything good you’ve heard about the Primary is correct

Reactions: TORCHRIDER
I picked up a Timney Hunter Elite and I have to say it is one of the best match/field triggers I have used to date. The TT's are nice but IMO Timney stepped up their game and outclassed the competition for a good field trigger with this one.

TT. No questions asked. I ran a Timney before, and now every bolt gun in my safe has a TriggerTech.

Reactions: TORCHRIDER
Thanks guys. I appreciate the recommendations.

Last edited:
TBH - I am a TT fan - have them on all 4 precision builds - but just had two failures in a row on a 6 Dasher build. They did a recall recently. Trying to figure it out. Hope I can get them on the phone tomorrow.

Recently was in similar situation, and I got a TT Primary. I love it how it feels. I did have my issues with the bolt release. A little research found that this was an issue for Rem700s made in the Late90s. Was a pain but I got the bolt release so it is semi-functional when I need it to be.

Only other thing I desire is a trigger lever similar to the wider one that was on the 700.

Gonna try a Timney HIT on my next build. Sounds really good so will see.

I like a crisp trigger, never fired a 2 stage. I don’t really see the need for a two stage myself. But everyone is different.

I've run the Timney HIT, Huber 700, TT Diamond (single and 2-stage), and Bix.

If you know what you want in terms of pull weight, I like the Huber. I order the weight I want, tell them how I want it set, and it stays set, and doesn't fail.

Bix is super configurable. A bit overwhelming. 4 different set screws. Constantly tweaking and measuring thing.

TT, 1 worked for me, 1 I had to replace. For a 2-stage, I find the first stage too short of a pull.

Timney worked. I didn't like the trigger shoe though.

For me the CG Xtreme Mod22 is my favorite. Expensive, but extremely nice. But it did require some inletting of my trigger guard, so not exactly drop in.

Then it's a Trigger Tech and Geissele. I'm extremely comfortable with either of those in two stage, and swap between them all depending on which rifle I grab. I have the TT special and will be putting the diamond two stage in another this week.

I saw some 40X for sale for $65 recently. That’s pretty tough to beat for the money. Old school 700 triggers are really good, too. I bought a LH 40X for a build for around $60 a little while ago (Lost in mail :().

I have two TT specials, two Timney Calvin Elites, and several others. I’m a little surprised how quickly the community has been to forgive TT, there have been problems with other hip, new, “it” triggers and those other companies fell out of favor instantly.

Reactions: 30338
Jewel. Jewel, Jewel
I have three trigger tech "specials" and don't like or trust them. I can get a slam fire on everyone. Called trigger tech and they said that my bolts were out of time. I've tried them on 6-7 different rem 700's ...I can get a slam fire on every one. Slap a Jewel in and no problem. Hard for me to believe that the bolts on every 700 I own are out of time

• Haha
Reactions: chevy_man
TT. No questions asked. I ran a Timney before, and now every bolt gun in my safe has a TriggerTech.

I tried a couple TT's.

All mine have Calvin Elites or Bix & Andy in them. TT's went down the road. Had timing and reset issues in REM receivers due to lack of sear engagement. Other brands let me adjust the sear, but TT voids warranty so I figured why the fuck am I messing around with them? Others have perfectly easy sear and weight adjustment.
The amount of failures they're having wouldn't be forgiven if it was anyone else. TT just ended up being the "in thing" and people ignore all the signs of quality control issues.

Jewel. Jewel, Jewel
I have three trigger tech "specials" and don't like or trust them. I can get a slam fire on everyone. Called trigger tech and they said that my bolts were out of time. I've tried them on 6-7 different rem 700's ...I can get a slam fire on every one. Slap a Jewel in and no problem. Hard for me to believe that the bolts on every 700 I own are out of time

That was my experience. Never a problem with any other brand of trigger, but TT blames your gun.

Although the bolts on every 700 that remington made probably are out of time to some degree....

Running Timney Elites on all my 700s and a couple of customs. Though in most applications I prefer the single stage wide bow elite hunter @ 1.5 to 2.0 lbs, for LRP and most sniper or DMR applications I like the two stage Calvin Elite straight trigger. The only other trigger that is better IMHO you can’t put on a 700, that would be the two stage Sako trigger on a TRG. You can’t go wrong with a Timney.

A Timney Elite Hunter sits in my 700 308, used for precision PD work. 3.5 lbs, crisp and predictable breaks and resets. Installation in the Magpul Hunter chassis didn't require any extra fitting, took about 5 minutes. Highly recommended.

I am looking for a decent drop in trigger for my R700 short action in .308. Not shooting benchrest, mainly shooting steel at long range so don't need a trigger in ounces. What do you recommend?
Timney Triggers is as good or better and inexpensive as anything on the market.

I guess I’ve never had the issues you talk about. Then again, I don’t own a factory Remington action.

I tried a couple TT's.

All mine have Calvin Elites or Bix & Andy in them. TT's went down the road. Had timing and reset issues in REM receivers due to lack of sear engagement. Other brands let me adjust the sear, but TT voids warranty so I figured why the fuck am I messing around with them? Others have perfectly easy sear and weight adjustment.
The amount of failures they're having wouldn't be forgiven if it was anyone else. TT just ended up being the "in thing" and people ignore all the signs of quality control issues.

If you run it fast enough you will skip the sear over it. I can do it on customs and factory alike from primary to diamond. I have to make it do it though, its never been a functional issue.

Dumped my TriggerTech Special for a Timney The Hit. I miss nothing and now I don't have the constant "will it hangfire, will it not reset, will it misfire" thoughts in the back of my mind.

Reactions: Lionsbreath
I have a TT and a Timney Hit, the TT is very smooth but IMO the Timney is a better feeling trigger.

I tried a couple TT's.

That was my experience. Never a problem with any other brand of trigger, but TT blames your gun.

Although the bolts on every 700 that remington made probably are out of time to some degree....

I've also had issues with TT's and sear engagement. My TT was with a TL3 action, and the sear engagement was horrendously heavy. Made the TL3 feel like a 1st generation Ultimatum action with their patented 21lb bolt lift.

I don't know why more trigger companies incorporate features such as user sear adjustability, like BnA does. Shooters in our disciplines seem to ignore the benefits of trigger timing. Very rarely is a trigger and an action going to mate up perfectly optimized without work. How a trigger interfaces with an action plays a big part in how an action functions, and the all so important and coveted action feature of "feel". PRS shooters think Impacts are magical with their "feel", but they don't realize a lot of that is the trigger hanger - you are adjusting the sear engagement through the height of the trigger. They fail to realize that they can optimize the feel of any top tier action through trigger timing, and the BnA allows the end user to do that themselves with any action.

Perhaps at some point more shooters in our discipline(s) will realize the benefits of trigger timing, and more trigger companies will follow suit. PRS shooters eventually found out about tuners (though are using them for a completely different purpose then BR and F-class shooters). Perhaps trigger timing will come next, in the next few years...

I can't add much more to what's been given. But, if you like 2 stage triggers....The David Tubb T7T two-stage trigger is one sweet setup! You can adjust everything. Distance & weight of first stage, weight of second stage, position of the trigger shoe fore or aft for your particular preference and a straight or curved trigger. I sold my Jewell HVT trigger on here recently and this is what I replaced it with.

Well, I bought a TT Primary and adjusted it down to 2.5 Lbs. I think it comes out of the box at about 3.5 lbs. I have to say it doesn't feel worlds better than the stock trigger I had. I am going to give it a go but not sure I will be happy with it long term. Maybe I should have gone with the Special?

the majority of my remington's have Timney Triggers. as of my recent purchase of a Bergera HMR Pro it has the Trigger Tech. i don't have much behind the rifle just yet. maybe 10 rounds. i don't see a huge difference so far

Geissele - as a 2-stage it's beyond reproach. As a single-stage, it's great.

I can't count how many Timney triggers I have but I only have one Jewel, on a defiance 7mmSTW and only one Trigger Tech on a Rem700 250 Sav.

I have a lot of complaints about a lot of triggers, but none about those 3 brands.

Attachments

• Defiance 7mmSTW 20201013_102420.jpg
    Defiance 7mmSTW 20201013_102420.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Rem 700 250 Savage 20201012_183809.jpg
    Rem 700 250 Savage 20201012_183809.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 39