• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Recommend me a good NV scope.

Elitespotter

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2013
Im on a budget of about $1000. Will be using it to shoot rabbits out to 100 yards. Will hopefully be putting it onto my .223 with picatinny rail with a vortex viper. Any recommendations.

Hey guys,

There are two new scopes due out this year (2013) in the United States.

If you want a clip on to put out front of your Vortex you are looking at 2,000.00 for the Pulsar DFA75

There is the Sightmark Photon which is a dedicated digital scope 5x42mm.

Do some websearches on the above and you can make some informed decisions.

Or if you can't wait then I still believe the Digisight N550 (currently available) will do you just fine.

Goodluck,

BB

Hey guys,

There are two new scopes due out this year (2013) in the United States.

If you want a clip on to put out front of your Vortex you are looking at 2,000.00 for the Pulsar DFA75

BB

Interesting, since the image is being presented right at the objective, do you know if the primary optic's parallax/focus range is a issue?
Same relative light sensitivity vs the 550?

I have a N550, it's not bad for the price point. I see on the Pulsar website there is now just a N750. I have'nt been keeping up on the technology.

Interesting, since the image is being presented right at the objective, do you know if the primary optic's parallax/focus range is a issue?

I don't have personal experience with the DFA75 since I can't get my hands on one, here is a user on a United Kingdom board who is just now teething on it http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/240132-pulsar-dfa75/

and (His video, NOT MINE)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTF0w9ozvAI

Same relative light sensitivity vs the 550?

Yes, same CCD array and image sensor BUT much better objective display screen on the DFA75. So in essence you now can realize the full potential of the onboard electronics with an OLED screen (DFA75 and N750). The upcoming Sightmark Photon also will utilize an OLED display

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6qMrSCGw7I

I have a N550, it's not bad for the price point. I see on the Pulsar website there is now just a N750. I have'nt been keeping up on the technology.

And to demonstrate just how much of a difference there is between the N550 and the N750 I went ahead and did the field test for ya :) http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/showthread.php?t=173498

Last edited:
Whichever NV device you go with, make sure you have a FFP scope because when you gotta back off from max power on your day scope at night you're still good to go with your reticle/holds.
Save up and buy a clip on, $.02

Obviously if you buy a dedicated NV scope/optic this isn't an issue but clip on is the way to go, bro.

Low budget and only to 100 yards?
You're gonna drop at least 2-3k, I think...
Hell, at 100 yards a 14 in front of a 1.5-5x or something would work. Yes, I know... a PVS 14 isn't designed for that but your max range is 100 yards. Who knows man. Just bringin up options.

Quality CNVD is around 5k for the new unit from TNVC but I don't think it's out yet. PVS22 is around 7-8K, Highend PVS-27 11-13K. Prices vary. Save up if you really want quality NV. If you're just plinking and don't mind your gear crapping out at the worst time then go cheap. I'm sure someone will bash me so start bashing. Just speaking the truth!!

I'm in with ya gyz77... I read different posters wanting a $1,000 night vision devise. Ur not gonna get much for a $1,000.. So let the bashing begin.

Those sure are small hogs they have in the UK. Don't appear to have very big cutters. I'd be afraid to go out there after them. At least the suppressor quiets that .338 to a point where they can't locate you.

Last edited:
You won't be able to find rabbits at 30 yrds with an ITT pinnacle PVS 14 gen. 3 which cost about $3,500 and your budget is $1,000....unless your are hunting in your front yard. Let alone finding them at 100 yards in field unless u r hunting them on a golf course or a well manicured field. I hunt a lot at night and use a FLIR ps-32 and I know something is there and look at it thru the monocular with a 3x magnifier with a torch dialed in and u still have a hard time determining what it is. And I know a scope has magification, but those lil critters r nearly impossible to see in a natural environment and they had better be close and the grass better not be high

You guys are funny, nobody is going to bash anyone. The original posters budget is 1000.00. We all can give him ideas of how to best spend that money, without the fear of being bashed!

The rather obvious choice would be to save up 4-5k and buy a device or pair of devices that would give great performance and be able to be deployed in various ways (weapons mount, helmet mount, etc etc).

BUT

The reality for alot of people is 1000.00 is all they have and is all they are going to have for quite sometime so saving money may not be in the equation.

Anyhow, in my opinion for 1k digital gives the best bang for the buck.

Oh and it will handle 6.5mm and lower recoil without giving any dependability issues and a 3 year warranty.

BB

And trust me u start hunting at night you will say screw hunting in the day light, your strategy will change and it will be all night hunting from here on out and it won't be just rabbits as u stated at first in this thread.. You'll be hunting everything at night. Just don't short your self on a $1,000..one of my set ups is a monocular behind a vortex viper 2.5-10x44 as u stated and it is a sweet set up I think, and then I use it on a helmet rig with a dbal d2. I was surfing the hides optics for sale today and seen a pvs14 helmet rig, j-arm everything you would need for $2,000 it was dated a while back but your are half way there just keep looking.

One thing to do is check all the boards all day everyday!!! Not kidding!! There is a PVS22 on a board for 6500. That's about 3.5k off new. Yes it's been used but its 3500 off! I know its hard just don't get in a huge hurry a d you'd be surprised at what kinda deals you can find!! I love my KAC UNS LR-LP!! I can crank up the power to 20x if I want or run it in front of my ACOGs. Looking to add an Elcan 1.5-6 to the kit!!! Save save save!! It's worth it!! Just get quality and you'll have years worth of fun that's priceless!!