• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend me a good rangefinder!

shaneinhisroom

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2011
Ohio
Looking to get a LRF for mainly target shooting (steel and paper) out to 1400-1500yd. Must haves:

1. True yardage accounting for angle compensation. If range is 550yd and looking down 30 degrees the output number should compensate for that angle.
2a. Glass clarity
2b. Long range with good accuracy >1000yd
4. Rugged and water resistant

Up to the challenge include the Bushnell Fusion 1 mile, love the binocular feature as well as it's big enough to stabilize on a sandbag to range extra far targets. My question is if the readout compensates for the LOS angle?

Also up for grabs is the Leica 1600B, with its awesome glass but it is only a 7x compared to a 10x or 12x of the Bushnell. Also I wonder if the size prohibits me from accurately and quickly lasing a IPSC target 1500yd away.

Open to any and all brands under $1k or so.

Leica 1600B, I ranged an Antelope at 1650 just yesterday with ease, holding it in my hand and useing my truck window for stability. If you can handle $2000, go with a Terrapin, but it only has 4X. I have heard some good things about the Bushnell, but I cannot get myself to purchase a "Bushnell" for some reason?

Well, the Leica is less expensive than the Bushnell actually...I guess if I were in prone I could balance the Leica on the bag?

I have the Leica 1200crf. I got took to school at a match by a Bushnell Elite. That would be my choice. It is larger, but it really works.
YMMV-Rob

After having the leica 1000, 1600, and bushnell 1600 binos side by side on a class recently I am purchasing another leica. The bushnell a had a blue tint to them, The numbers were harder to read, and the numbers didn't return as fast. I was super impressed with my leica 1000. It shot 12" steel targets all the way to 1100 and when I lazed a group of deer at 900 it was getting them with no issue. The 1600 hit everything we pointed it at.

I noticed on all three that you had to find the point in the reticle where the beam was most focused. On my 1000 it was 1/4 way down on the left.

Of course we also used a terrapin and none of them were as consistant.

Hi,

You want something that can automatically account for elevation - you need it to have an inclinometer.

The Bushnell equivalent is called "ARC" - the later model Leica ones also have a 'declination' feature.
Not sure it will meet your range requirement.

The Leica won't meet your budget unless you go for a monocular.

One thing that's not clear to me with the Bushnell is whether you can use it to just display the corrected distance - without the ballistically computed hold-over??
That is - like "Bow Mode" but up to 1760 yards?

That was exactly my question as well! Will the Bushnell calculate line of sight distance with the angle already accounted for?

The 1-mile Bushnells have an on-board computer that will give you a solution to 1000yds with angle compensation. Unfortunately this is drawn from a library of cartridges. You can't enter specific info for your rifle and cartridge nor can you true it to dope. The new 1-miles do not have the blue tint found in the earlier 1600s. The 1-miles display angle in degrees which you enter into your ballistic app.

That sucks. I don't want to enter in a LOS into my ballistic app if I don't have to...looks like the 1600-B already does the math for you and calculates the adjusted distance.

Vectronix Terrapin. Awesome ranging ability. Works in the worst of conditions. Built like a tank!

~Brett

Gunwerks G7-BR2.....buy once...cry once. Calculates everything you need ...you'll have to add some $ to your budget...but WELL worth it...look into it. I have one and I've put my 7LRM and 375 Cheytac data into it (it can do 3 more calibers/loads).
Best piece of hunting g/shooting equipment I've ever bought...

So I just looked at the G7 BR2...it has its own weather station with temperature, wind speed, altitude, etc. Do I even need a Kestrel? If not I might as well spring for this.

Also looks like the description says it only spits out MOA for wind. Can I change that to mil?

The G7 is a good little unit, and I used mine to avoid carrying a kestrel. It only spits out MOA, or a corrected range for a BDC turret - But if you print a standard dope card for your load in mils for a given DA, you can put that information in your G7, then shoot the corrected range from your card, and use your same card no matter what elevation/DA you are shooting at.

So I just looked at the G7 BR2...it has its own weather station with temperature, wind speed, altitude, etc. Do I even need a Kestrel? If not I might as well spring for this.

Also looks like the description says it only spits out MOA for wind. Can I change that to mil?
I think the lieca 1600b does the weather too