• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend me a handguard for 6.5 creed Stag 10

dgheriani

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
I'm building up a precision AR10 type rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. Because of the weirdness of gun laws up here in Canada I'm doing it on a Stag 10 stripped receiver set (means I can shoot it on public land not just at a range like most AR10s, go figure). 22" Proof SS barrel, Brownells bcg and buffer, JP buffer spring, Brownells Geissele 2-stage trigger, stock will be a MDT SCS if I can mod it to work with the charging handle, if not, prob a PRS or something similar. Not a crazy expensive build but using quality stuff ( I think). Will most likely have a Bushnell LRTSi 3-12 or HDMR2 3.5-21 on top (cause I have a couple of each) and maybe end up with a Mk 5 3.5-18.

Anyways, most of the shooting will be at my long range spot where I have steel from 200-1500 yards and maybe a gas gun match or use it as the carbine in a Competition Dynamics match. I shoot quite a few bolt gun PRS/NRL/RTC matches and the CD matches just look like a great time. I'm looking for a handguard with a similar profile to the proprietary one on the Seekins SP 10 with a flat bottom. I'll most likely be running a full length RRS dovetail as all my bipods have the RRS adapter that does pic and RRS dovetail. really there would be a handguard with a full length dovetail built in but I don't think that exists. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I purchased a Stag 10 receiver set to build a 308 on and I liked it so much I bought another set and two stripped Stag 10 uppers. They aren't all built yet, but they will cover all my big bore, semi auto needs.

The Stag 10 is a DPMS high profile (.210") upper tang. So I went round and round trying to decide on what handguard to get. Because it seemed like every one I found that I liked was for low profile uppers.

That said, I've gone all Troy for my 308 high profile handguards for my Stag 10. My preference was, no longer than 13", M-Lok since I run all M-Lok rails on everything else and just a strong simple rail. I ordered this one for my 16" 308 upper:

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...aluminum-fde-srai-ml3-3hft-00-812441021052.do

I ordered the same rail but in carbon fiber for my 20" barreled 308 upper:

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...profile-13-carbon-fiber-black-812441021625.do

I havent started buying parts for the two spare uppers. But they will likely sport the same Troy handguards. They are strong, simple and fulfill every aspect of what I needed. They come in 13" and 15" also made from either Aluminum or Carbon Fiber. For the price, they cant be beat. My second choice was going to be Midwest Industries i just liked the Troy design best.

Thanks, I hadn't seen those Troy carbon ones. I have been looking at the 15" MI handguards as they seem a good balance of value/quality and 15" will cover the gas block on my barrel. What I'm really looking for though is something with a nice square profile on the bottom as I'll be running a full length RRS dovetail plate on the handguard.

If you can find one, Badger Ordinance made a handguard for LR-308 pattern uppers that had probably the widest, flattest bottom out there. It was called the "stabilizer" and they were a quality forend. Heres what they looked like:
692618.jpg

They were square in shape and were definitely solid. Longest length was 12" if I remember correctly. I had one years ago on a 20" 223 upper. But sold it with the upper.

If you can hunt one down that would give you the most flat real estate on the bottom of a 308 handguard. Theres also the PRI Delta, they make those for LR308 pattern and they are pretty flat on the bottom:
pri.jpg

They are about $350, made of carbon fiber and another really great handguard. May be flat enough to get your RRS mounted?

Reactions: dgheriani