• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend me a new single stage loader

Black-X

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2006
Kentucky
Broke the handle off the old Lyman single stage loader today and I don't think it's a bad time to go ahead and look for a new one (this one is getting some serious age on it!). What's a good single stage that isn't going to break the bank and one that I can still use my RCBS dies and shell holders with?

Looking to mostly reload .308, .300WM, .223, and maybe 9mm.

Thanks,

-X

Re: Recommend me a new single stage loader

RCBS, Lyman, Hornady are all good. I have both an RCBS and a Hornady Lock N' Load.

Yea I was just looking at my single stage press choice.. Im in the market for one as well.. Is the big boss II a must or will the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme be just as good. Or is there a considerable difference in the 2's performance..

I havnt owned a rockchucker, I used to own a lee classic for years, but upgraded to a big boss II a year ago, and love it.
Much smoother, more sturdy, and the primer collection is much cleaner too.
Spent primers drop down the middle of the ram into a drop tube, and all the crap goes with it, so the ram stays clean
smile.gif

I don't know If the chuckers do this also, but the boss was same price over here so I went with them.

The Forster co-ax is the best, but availability and higher price are sometimes an issue.

My personal Preference is Hornady. At least for most task. However RCBS, Redding, and Lymann all make good products. The Hornady works great until you get into the longer casings. For example my Hornady works really well for everything other then 300 wby rounds. The casing for that round is rather long and makes getting the die setup right difficult. Now for everything else including 338 LM the Hornady works fine.

If you want a simple single stage, and of the major brands will work. I highly recommend the Redding T-7 turret press. It is a great press. With 7 stations, you can set up a few of your dies, and leave them there.

If you think you might want a .338 Lapua at some time in the future, the Big Boss or T-7 will give you the aperture you need for convenience.

I have a Rock Chucker Supreme and use the Hornady lock-n-load bushings in it with all of my dies. That makes for a strong and sturdy single stage press with the convenience of being able to quickly change dies. BTW, once you set up your dies (depth) in the LNL bushings, you lock them down, and they will be in exactly the same place with a single twist!

For single stage I use a rockchucker, very strong and easy to use. Rcbs has great customer service also

Everyone above who recommended a press never used a Forster Co-Ax, get one.

I recommend a Lee Classic Cast Single Stage or the Lee Classic Turret that can be used as a single stage.

I had a Forster, nice press but not real friendly to long cartridges like the 300 win mag. Got real tired of pinching my fat fingers when trying to seat bullets so I sold it. It also was not friendly to seater dies with micrometers, not enough clearance in the handle. The model B3 supposedly took care of that.

The Lee press is a super buy for the money. You will not be in want of a stronger press but if you want a no nonsense single stage get a Redding Ultramag.

The Lee presses are in the foreground, the Ultramags are on the other side.

MainReloadingBench.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gfunkUK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Redding big boss II </div></div>

This!

If you can catch them on sale so much the better. Most SS presses are all pretty much the same with minor variances in opening size. The high point to this is the "drop thru the ram" spent primer feature. No magnetic catch trays, plastic clip on trays or other such things. A tube runs tight into the sh!t can bellow the press. NO MORE PRIMERS ALL OVER. This one also has the bushing for 1.25" X 12 TPI dies. Which means that you can use the Hornady Lock n Load Bushings to mount your dies into. A twist of the wrist and you swap out dies. No fuss No muss. If you find a good deal on a Big Boss I there is an upgraded ram kit at Sinclairs for $28.00

Lee Classic Cast is also a good choice and even cheaper. I just don't like the small(ish) triangle foot print.

Cheers,

Doc

Forster CO-AX, Buy once cry once. I load 7mags with mine and have no problems with clearence. Its great for reducing runout and fast to change dies in.

On a budget: Lee Classic Cast (iron)
Mid-range: Redding Big Boss II
Top-o-the-line: Forster Co-Ax
Honorable mention (especially for longer than standard magnum length cartridges): Redding Ultra-Mag

All have cast iron frames, through-the-ram spent primer handling, and capability for a QC die system. Co-Ax has its own snap-in/out system that just needs a cross-bolt lock ring, but the others are all compatible with the Hornady LNL bushing system.

The 300WM is only about 1/10" longer than 270win and I load that on my co-ax with plenty of room to spare. I use forster and Hornady seating dies with sliding sleeves that may help avoid pinched fingers.

Andy

"I recommend a Lee Classic Cast Single Stage .."

Ditto. Flash hole knows what he's saying, The CC is the best press of its class, price not withstanding. No one had a "Lee classic cast" more than a few years back, it's a completly new design from the old Challenger. If I had to replace my perfect condition RC tomorrow that's what it would be.

The more massive iron body is precisely machined on CNC tooling, the fully adjustable lever and an oversized ram that feeds spent primers to a tube makes it the most user friendly single stage press I know of. A friend has one that he's gotten broken in and it's every bit as smooth as my RC. (I can't get him to swap with me, some guys only think of themselves!)

The Coax is a good press but the ergonomics don't fit my style of working at all. I would NEVER get used to a lever that comes straight out and I had to feed cases straight in.

For single stage loading, I have a really old Forster Co-ax and a Redding T-7.

Both are solid pieces of equipment and will serve you well for years to come.

Tom O.

Rockchucker has been great for me. I load .308.

"I have a really old Forster Co-ax and a Redding T-7. Both are solid pieces of equipment and will serve you well for years to come."

I'm not disageeing at all but I wonder, what iron press would anyone suggest might not last for years to come if it isn't badly neglected or abused?

I have a friend who uses his father's Pacfic "C" press purchased in the 50s. It still works quite well and will continue to do so for his son. So will any other I believe. Only meaning that someone saying "I have (XX), it will last a really long time" is virtually meaningless unless there is a point of comparison. IMHO. ? ?

I like my redding boss just remember to disassemble clean and lubricate all the pins ever so often and it will last for ever and give VERY consistant seating depths and no runout if useing good dies.

I use a Lee Classic Cast with the Hornady Lock-N-Load conversion bushings. Makes changing dies quick and easy. I have used it to load at least a few thousand rounds so far and have no complaints at all. The handles are easily adjustable from side to side as well as length. The spent primer system is great.

Here is the place to get one for a decent price:
http://www.factorysales.com/html/xcart/catalog/classic.html
$73.40

Then get these:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=858110

Dolomite

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: targaflorio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">flashhole: I love that bench. What is it/where did you get it please? </div></div>

I made it. It's 45" tall. Since I always stand when I reload I wanted it tall so neck fatigue from looking down would not be an issue. The uprights are the composite decking material from Lowes. They are about 4.5" square, very heavy, and very straight. I used 5/16" steel plate (painted black with Rustoleum) and secured the presses to the plate, then secured the plate to the top and the uprights. I wanted the stress from press operation directly over the uprights, not coupled to the bench top. The shelves and leg braces are all made from 1 sheet of 3/4" plywood. I put 5/4" x 3" supports under the shelves to keep them from sagging and attached the supports to the legs. The top and shelves are only 2' x 4' but it is plenty of surface area to work on and the island layout give me access to all sides of the bench. The smaller size forces me to keep it tidy. I painted the whole thing using floor and deck paint. No plans, I just knew what I wanted and it has worked out really well. It cost me about $200 in materials.

What Dolamite said. I ordered a Lee Classic Cast and it came in yesterday. Massive press. KYou can reload 50 BMG on this thing. It is made of cast iron like and engine block. I ordered from MidwayUSA.

I too wanted a single stage press and some of the old benchrest shooters said if it "the LeeCC" was priced higher, more folks would buy it based on the price.

Nuff said for me.

I started with a Rock Chucker and it was a solid press, produced good ammo. I then got a Redding T7 and really liked the ability of leaving multiple dies in the stations. But then my smith wanted one and I wanted some work from him so now it sits in his shop. I really did not need several calibers set up all the time anyway.

Now I have a Co-Ax and I will say that it is the smoothest press I have ever used. Produces very good ammo! It's about $100 more than some of the cheaper recomendations in this thread. It's worth it. Will you miss that c-note 10 or 20 years from now?

Next press will be a Big Boss II from Redding. Can't shim die bodies on the Forster Co-Ax.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Next press will be a Big Boss II from Redding. Can't shim die bodies on the Forster Co-Ax. </div></div>

And there is no need to shim die bodies. Small adjustments like that can be made with a micrometer die. However, if you are dead set on it, you can get the shellholder adapter for the CoAx and go from there. There are only upsides to the CoAx.

Josh