• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

recommend me a single stage trigger for carbine use

wade2big

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2017
TEXAS
I'm looking for a good single stage trigger for an Ar15. I'm not looking for a super light trigger pull as this will be going on carbines. I'm looking for a relatively short trigger press, a short strong reset, and reliability if/when dirty. Two-stage triggers don't meet the first two criteria. I have a few SSA-E and Larue MBT two stage triggers that I am moving away from for carbine use but would still appreciate an upgrade from polished mil-spec triggers.

Are drop in triggers as reliable as the more standard mil-spec trigger designs? If reliablity is there then I would consider drop in as well.

CMC makes a good general purpose trigger for not a lot of money. I've got several and they've all been 100% reliable. Once you get used to it even the 2.5lb doesn't seem light.

Reactions: Snuby642
Elftmann Match Pro SE Pro Lock ...Good Luck:cool:

I appreciate the replies so far gentleman.

CMC makes a good general purpose trigger for not a lot of money. I've got several and they've all been 100% reliable. Once you get used to it even the 2.5lb doesn't seem light.
Would these lighter triggers such as these still be reliable in an AR10 shooting surplus .308? Other than this particular rifle everything else is a .556 carbine.

Would these lighter triggers such as these still be reliable in an AR10 shooting surplus .308?
I don't have an AR10 but I know plenty of people that have these triggers in them with no complaints.
If you get a CMC buy from JoeBobOutfitters for the best price

Reactions: wade2big
T
I’m pretty happy with the Geissele SSP
This right here ^ , Geisele SSP.

Or a fairly inexpensive, MilSpec trigger with better feel from ALG- like the ALG QMS or ACT models.

Reactions: leftyk82
If you can wait a few months, I don't think you can go wrong with Larue's MBT for $89. It is identical to the Geisseles. They used to use Geisseles in their rifles until they said screw it lets make our own trigger.

Edit: Prices went up I guess, they were $89 when I bought mine two or so years ago.

alg act

by far the best sub 75 single stage trigger and a plethora of positive reviews.

TriggerTech. I have one of their AR15 triggers and while its listed as a 2-stage, the first stage is about a quarter pound and I have a tough time even calling it a 2-stage trigger. It is phenomenal in every way.

Reactions: Jack's Dad
TriggerTech. I have one of their AR15 triggers and while its listed as a 2-stage, the first stage is about a quarter pound and I have a tough time even calling it a 2-stage trigger. It is phenomenal in every way.
Which model of TT trigger for his specified needs?

image.jpg

I don’t have experience with a lot of different brands, but enjoy this guy.

Reactions: Raffica762
I have really got used to using two stage triggers.

I think this late in the game for me changing would cause problems.

I'm looking for a good single stage trigger for an Ar15. I'm not looking for a super light trigger pull as this will be going on carbines. I'm looking for a relatively short trigger press, a short strong reset, and reliability if/when dirty. Two-stage triggers don't meet the first two criteria. I have a few SSA-E and Larue MBT two stage triggers that I am moving away from for carbine use but would still appreciate an upgrade from polished mil-spec triggers.

Are drop in triggers as reliable as the more standard mil-spec trigger designs? If reliablity is there then I would consider drop in as well.
@TonyTheTiger speaks the truth. I have three ar15's all set up different and one ar10. All of the 15's have geissele triggers in them and I believed that they were the best things on earth. Now after putting this trigger https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/CMC-AR-15-Tactical-Curved-2-5lb-Single-Stage-Drop-p/cmc-90503.htm in my ar10 I feel like I wasted a ton of money on the geissele triggers.
alg act

by far the best sub 75 single stage trigger and a plethora of positive reviews.
I was never impressed with this trigger. I bought a cheap ass ar10, the springfield saint and had the alg on the shelf so I threw it in there. The stock trigger on that ar10 was actually better in every way.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
@TonyTheTiger speaks the truth. I have three ar15's all set up different and one ar10. All of the 15's have geissele triggers in them and I believed that they were the best things on earth. Now after putting this trigger https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/CMC-AR-15-Tactical-Curved-2-5lb-Single-Stage-Drop-p/cmc-90503.htm in my ar10 I feel like I wasted a ton of money on the geissele triggers.

I was never impressed with this trigger. I bought a cheap ass ar10, the springfield saint and had the alg on the shelf so I threw it in there. The stock trigger on that ar10 was actually better in every way.
Do the CMC triggers have a strong reset?

Was it an ALG QMS or ALG ACT?

Do the CMC triggers have a strong reset?
I'm not sure exactly how to describe it but to me it is what it should be. It's a very short moving trigger, kinda like a good trigger job on a 1911,actually it's a lot like a good two pound 1911 trigger. I'm telling ya man, I'm pretty picky with triggers and it's really all anyone will ever need on a rifle. I bought it thinking this is just a gun I really don't care about and just wanted something slightly better than the stock trigger and now I bring it every range trip

So I guess for a "work gun" is where you prefer a single stage?

Come to think of it my sbr's have single stage triggers, not for target shooting. I hate them but different purpose.

There is no reason to not use a quality 2 stage match style trigger on ANY AR, especially a fighting gun.

SR15's and SR25's come with KAC 2 stage
G rifles come with SSA.

You can take slow deliberate shots with 2 stage or run it like a 1 stage fast. Best of both worlds.

Laure is the best bang for your buck but they have a very wide trigger shoe that not everyone likes.

G2S is probably the second best value.

If you are hell bent on a single stage the Wilson TTU is a very good trigger as well.

The ALG and similar shit is not even in the same realm as the quality triggers mentioned above. Should not even be a consideration.

If you can wait a few months, I don't think you can go wrong with Larue's MBT for $89. It is identical to the Geisseles. They used to use Geisseles in their rifles until they said screw it lets make our own trigger.

Edit: Prices went up I guess, they were $89 when I bought mine two or so years ago.
They aren't identical at all. I have about half a dozen of each of them and another 4 KAC 2 staggers.

This is the Pecking order from top to bottom.

Giessle Hi Speed
KAC 2 Stage (new Style)
G SSA
G G2S
Larue MBT 2 stage.
Wilson TTU

The Larue is a very good trigger for what it is, but its no where near as nice as the higher end G and KAC triggers. There are a ton of other triggers out there and always new ones coming into the market. Who knows what testing has been done and how many rounds have collectivley put down range to prove them. TT has been known for some failures in their triggers in the past and even though I shoot them in my bolt guns, I would not run one in an AR. We have seen what poorly made match triggers do overtime ( RRA, Old Style KAC, LMT, ect). There is no reason to not stick with one that has a long proven track record. A broken trigger = a broken gun.

The history of why Larue decided to start making triggers is also very interesting and funny for those that do not know.

Going back to like 2001, G was the gold standard trigger. Larue at the time time was in their heyday of making rifles and everyone came with a G trigger. Mark Larue was a huge fan and support of Bill G and then the unthinkable happened.

A unit from the US military approached Bill G about making a scope mount. They were already supplying socom with triggers and their AR 15 rail systems were getting much more popular plus they made the aftermarket rail for the 416.

So Bill came up with the Super Precision Mounts most of you see today. Mark Larue blew a gasket and publicly cried out how Bill was a traitor for entering into the scope mount market. Larue was probably the biggest player in the scope mount market, even though their mounts were already obsolete and shitty compared to existing designs (Bobro, GDI, ADM,ect).

So to get back, Mark was going to put G out of the trigger business so he spent a ton of time and money (Probally hundreds of thousands) to buy EDM machines and come up with a trigger s7 tool steel and all this other shit. Not only that, He priced it so low he was trying to buy the entire market and crush Bill G. He must have been selling at a loss or break even (Around $75).

Larue had plenty of fanboys so they bought up the triggers. They were good, but people quickly realized they weren't the G killer Larue touted them as. At $75 or so they were a great high quality budget trigger, but no one was replacing their Hi Speed or SSA for one.

So eventually Mark jacked the price up to like $200 or something. They stopped selling. So he had to drop the price back to to like $80 to get them to sell again. For the last 5 years or so the prices cycle up and down through the year. The best deal is to buy the 5 packs for $75 each or whatever. They purposely delay shipping on these for months to make you think the reason its so cheap is you have to wait for it, as some marketing gimmick shit. If they were cheap and instantly available, their perceived quality would be even lower. Makes sense from a marketing standpoint but if you are watching whats going on its not hard to see through the BS. If you buy a new rifle or large order of other shit, It will ship or they will just throw the triggers in the package.

By now Mark has sold so many of the trigger he has probally paid off the machining and can opperate at lower margins. 90% of the shit they used to sell nobody wants anymore so its probably one of the only things keeping the business going. This company bassicaly stopped invoating like 10 years ago and are still selling shit from 20 years ago with little/no product improvements. The UU kits were a good value until they jacked up the price.

I’m pretty happy with the Geissele SSP
This. It’ll say 3lb pull but it feels nothing like it. I have three of them now and have moved all my semis to the SSP.

FWIW i had two CMCs. They’re also solid. My curved shoe had a bit of take up that i simply hated but that could be a sample size of 1. I really liked the flat shoe.

There is nothing wrong with jp springs and polishing on a good mil trigger for a carbine

If you get a chance, try out an Elftman. I forget which one I installed in an AR-15 a few years back, but I think it was their match trigger. I don’t remember there being any take up, it breaks clean, and the reset is great. I tend to like two-stage triggers better, but Elftmann makes a great single stage.

There is nothing wrong with jp springs and polishing on a good mil trigger for a carbine
The stock daniel defense milspec trigger I have isn’t bad at all. Its heavy but it isn’t gritty and has a clean break. I have felt used some crappy milspec triggers that could use a lot of polishing. I’m figuring JP springs would lighten the pull weight a bit.

If you get a chance, try out an Elftman. I forget which one I installed in an AR-15 a few years back, but I think it was their match trigger. I don’t remember there being any take up, it breaks clean, and the reset is great. I tend to like two-stage triggers better, but Elftmann makes a great single stage.
I plan on trying a few. I recently shot with a Timney and that thing was nice. I think I’m going to pick up a CMC trigger like a couple guys recommended in this thread. Thats where I will start.

Reactions: Coffee_and_Pipes
How so, the fact that its a 2-stage? As I said, the 2 stage is barely a 2 stage, I can't believe they even refer to it as such.
For starters, yes it's a 2 stage, no matter how much people pretend it's not. Second, it has the weakest reset of any trigger I've owned, which is a sizable number. Third, it's already been proven to be prone to problems when very dirty.
So yeah, the exact opposite of what the OP outlined.

I plan on trying a few. I recently shot with a Timney and that thing was nice. I think I’m going to pick up a CMC trigger like a couple guys recommended in this thread. Thats where I will start.
What's your budget? I recommended the CMC as a baseline good trigger for reasonable money. If you want to spend more the Timney 3lb is great and often on sale. The Elftmann Match or 3 Gun triggers have some of the cleanest breaks and strongest resets around. The top tier Hiperfires are slightly less clean breaking but the reset force makes it very fast, reliability is great and the ability to set off any primer are great. The good old fashioned JP FCU is underrated. The Timney Calvin Elite is the king of single stage AR triggers but at 1.5lbs it's a long ways from being a duty or cold weather trigger. Stay away from the low end Rise Armament triggers and the Timney Impact. Those are ones I own, I've tried others that might come to me if I think about it long enough.

What's your budget? I recommended the CMC as a baseline good trigger for reasonable money. If you want to spend more the Timney 3lb is great and often on sale. The Elftmann Match or 3 Gun triggers have some of the cleanest breaks and strongest resets around. The top tier Hiperfires are slightly less clean breaking but the reset force makes it very fast, reliability is great and the ability to set off any primer are great. The good old fashioned JP FCU is underrated. The Timney Calvin Elite is the king of single stage AR triggers but at 1.5lbs it's a long ways from being a duty or cold weather trigger. Stay away from the low end Rise Armament triggers and the Timney Impact. Those are ones I own, I've tried others that might come to me if I think about it long enough.
I don’t have a budget but these triggers are going in a rifles I don’t shoot all that often. I have a trade deal pending on my two Larue MBT 2 stage triggers for a Timney skelotonized AR trigger. The member I’m trading with just claimed them as we speak. That gives me one Timney right there. I will probably pick up a couple CMC triggers like you recommend to finish me off.

I appreciate the information from you and everyone else as well. I’m relatively new to AR rifles. I had a heck of an AK rifle and ammo collection up until a few years ago when I decided I wasn’t a collector.

I don’t have a budget but these triggers are going in a rifles I don’t shoot all that often. I have a trade deal pending on my two Larue MBT 2 stage triggers for a Timney skelotonized AR trigger. The member I’m trading with just claimed them as we speak. That gives me one Timney right there. I will probably pick up a couple CMC triggers like you recommend to finish me off.

I appreciate the information from you and everyone else as well. I’m relatively new to AR rifles. I had a heck of an AK rifle and ammo collection up until a few years ago when I decided I wasn’t a collector.

Velocity in whatever lb you prefer in the flat face with finger stop configuration. Zero play, crisp break, very strong reset. Not bad on price, either

Reactions: wade2big
Ive got single stage triggers in all of my ARs. Ive got the ALG ACT, Rise 140, Rise 535, Geissele SD-3G, and a couple others. In my opinion/experience the Rise 535 is the epitome of single stage triggers. I was monumentally disappointed with the Geissele SD-3G. Its not even remotely comparable. With the RA535 the break is instantaneous when pressure is applied. There is no creep, slack, or take up. The reset is equally instantaneous, audible, and tactile. It takes some getting used to. There is no "slowly begin to squeeze". As soon as your finger moves rearward the trigger breaks. Its truly incredible.

Reactions: Wyoming8541
The only reason to not go with the SSP is being a poor. Even then, save.
Lol. I think you guys are retarded paying that much for a single stage. Law of diminishing returns is a foreign concept to many. Reading is as well given op requirements

Reactions: JohnCarter17
I think you guys are retarded paying that much for a single stage.
Curious why you say that. Single or two stage triggers are different tools for different purposes, I don't understand why so many believe you have to be in one camp or the other. The real answer is to have a shit ton of both and use the most appropriate one for the job.

Edit: saw your post above and realized I read too far into your comment.

Reactions: SS108 and Snuby642