• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

recommend me a single stage trigger for carbine use

Palmetto state armory PNT trigger with a Joebob grip screw. I like it a lot, and guys with expensive triggers like it when they feel it.

Yeah those are great and often overlooked triggers.
I kid you not, I had about 6k on that set up before I sold the rifle. That trigger was fast with a quick reset and I never had a single issue. I usually only use the ALG ACT triggers for 'work' guns but if I did 3 gun or needed another super single stage, I'd get the same set up. I can say that was my favorite set up I've ever had and regret selling it with the rifle.

Since we are talking triggers and not to derail the thread, the Scmid 2 stage (centurion, Aero, PSA-same 2 stage but for $60 vs what they charge) is pretty nice. I put one in to test it out on a 308 and it's been as nice as the mbt imho.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
I have CMC in every single AR I own plus the one I am finishing building now.

I use their single stage flat trigger, been very happy with it, also got their G19 flat trigger on a pistol. Good triggers and good people to deal with.

Elftman also made some nice triggers, but they can have fitment issues

TT adaptive, has a 1.5 to 4.0lb adjustment. Coming from a long time SSA-E user, it is a very nice trigger that feels like a single stage. I found my limited edition for $150, think it was at eurooptic but several on gunbroker also.

All that being said, only have about 100 rounds on it so don't know how they hold up. I will keep the SSA-Es in my other rifles as I feel the TT is more of a precision type trigger.

When i wanted a hp, fast, light single stage, i went with jp set up with speed hammer. Ran beautifully
I put a full JP components trigger in two rifles:

They're outstanding. Zero creep, break like a glass rod at 3.5 lbs., extremely tactile reset, you tune the take-up and over-travel distances to your preference.

This would be my choice for a duty/serious use gun as it's a traditional components trigger. Drop-in trigger modules are infinitely more fragile and can be sensitive to dirty conditions. Even the best modules occasionally fail.

The only reason more people don't run these is because you have to set these up yourself very carefully which takes time, and modules are just too easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimmyH
Drop-in trigger modules are infinitely more fragile and can be sensitive to dirty conditions. Even the best modules occasionally fail.
How so? If you take them apart it's the same components with the only real difference being that the pin bore is narrower so that it fits in a housing. I'll agree that some housings are cup shaped and more likely to catch and retain junk and that the best modules will occasionally fail, but so can/will any trigger. I've seen quite a few triggers locked up by blown primers, both modules and mil spec type. Nothing is failure proof.

How so? If you take them apart it's the same components with the only real difference being that the pin bore is narrower so that it fits in a housing. I'll agree that some housings are cup shaped and more likely to catch and retain junk and that the best modules will occasionally fail, but so can/will any trigger. I've seen quite a few triggers locked up by blown primers, both modules and mil spec type. Nothing is failure proof.
Now that I'm looking at them, you're right -I stand corrected, sir. Not sure why I thought they were a different mechanical design? I do seem to read more reports of modules failing than traditional triggers, but completely agree that nothing is failure-proof.

By that logic the only reason to buy a SSP is because you're too poor to afford a TT Diamond, Timney CE etc.
Actually I like the SSP better than the TT diamond and the Calvin elite. Not a lot of trigger time with the ce though.

For a single stage carbine trigger, the SSP is the best I have found. The law of diminishing returns obviously applies though. As I’m certainly not a professional shooter, I’d probably be better off with a slicked up mil spec for the $.

I'm looking for a good single stage trigger for an Ar15. I'm not looking for a super light trigger pull as this will be going on carbines. I'm looking for a relatively short trigger press, a short strong reset, and reliability if/when dirty. Two-stage triggers don't meet the first two criteria. I have a few SSA-E and Larue MBT two stage triggers that I am moving away from for carbine use but would still appreciate an upgrade from polished mil-spec triggers.

Are drop in triggers as reliable as the more standard mil-spec trigger designs? If reliablity is there then I would consider drop in as well.
Elftmann’s are great. According to Art Elftmann himself, drop on triggers (triggers in a box), are inherently less reliable because of smaller spaces for crud to get stuck.

Elftmann’s are great. According to Art Elftmann himself, drop on triggers (triggers in a box), are inherently less reliable because of smaller spaces for crud to get stuck.
I remember when elfman came out, they had a failure or 2 at every 3 gun match I went to. I hope they got better

I like the CMC and Timney but I think you'd like one other I have. Hiperfire hipertouch elite. 2.5 - 3.5 lb. single stage. Pretty sure this comes with a set of hammer springs so no problem setting off hard primers. It's in the G price range unfortunately.

I remember when elfman came out, they had a failure or 2 at every 3 gun match I went to. I hope they got better
I've got two of the 3 gun match triggers. It's pretty easy to back the adjustment screw out too far and cause failures to reset. Once I figured that out they became rock solid. I suspect that's what most people are doing wrong with them.

Reactions: mrtoyz
I've got two of the 3 gun match triggers. It's pretty easy to back the adjustment screw out too far and cause failures to reset. Once I figured that out they became rock solid. I suspect that's what most people are doing wrong with them.
As of a month ago or so they have a new adjustment mechanism that shouldn’t back out. Time will tell.

Back to OP, Schmidt is the OEM for a lot of rifles single stage triggers. Including ... BCM PNT.

Just look for the S on it.

This is why I don't mess with adjustable triggers.

I have had great luck with James Madison Tactical and CMC triggers. Both have been 100% reliable. The JMT does have a more positive reset to me if that makes sense.

One man's opinion on single stage. FWIW...

This link may be a bit dated and some of the new triggers may be better.
Ive been happy with Jewell, TT Adaptable LaRue MBT, and both SSA-E and Hi Speed Geissele triggers, all 2 stage.

Removed a factory installed ALG which was in essence a cleaned up "mil spec."

If you can wait a few months, I don't think you can go wrong with Larue's MBT for $89. It is identical to the Geisseles. They used to use Geisseles in their rifles until they said screw it lets make our own trigger.

Edit: Prices went up I guess, they were $89 when I bought mine two or so years ago.
I have two RRA Match triggers that have been lightened to 3.5 and two MBT with JP springs. Both are identical in feel and performance and break like a single stage.

When I bought the LaRue 2 stage, it was because they had discontinued the single stage. Reviews stated that the 2 stages were smoother, cleaner breaking anyway.

I'm looking for a good single stage trigger for an Ar15. I'm not looking for a super light trigger pull as this will be going on carbines. I'm looking for a relatively short trigger press, a short strong reset, and reliability if/when dirty. Two-stage triggers don't meet the first two criteria. I have a few SSA-E and Larue MBT two stage triggers that I am moving away from for carbine use but would still appreciate an upgrade from polished mil-spec triggers.

Are drop in triggers as reliable as the more standard mil-spec trigger designs? If reliablity is there then I would consider drop in as well.
Forma tactical hammerhead 2/6 lb adjustable. I use them in all my ar’s. Come in either curved or flat. They are drop in, nice clean break and reset. Under 100 bucks.

Reactions: wade2big
11472DF1-C89D-4023-8EE7-F4E6F69DBFBF.jpeg

Here’s a pic of the newest Elftmann trigger with the new adjustment knob I referenced before. That’s a spring stop just this side of the adjuster so it can’t back out but can still be adjusted.

i appreciate the conversation so far men. Have any of you guys shot surplus 7.62x51 ammunition with any of the triggers recommended? I will be putting one of these in an AR10 rifle that only sees surplus.

I don't think surplus ammo will meet the warranty requirements.

Just put names in a hat and pick one. In the end it wont matter and you likely wont be able to tell them apart.

@wade2big - Triggers are subjective. I got to try a buddy's CMC & didn't like it.

Lots of good options out there.

Here's another I haven't seen suggested yet.

Assuming you don't mind a trigger pull in the 4-1/2 lb range it checks all your other boxes. I would take a look at Hiperfire's Enhanced Duty Triggers. I cant speak to it from experience, but for $99 I'd try it.
These aren't just another polished mil spec deal. Sear geometry is completely different even though they look like mil spec. Full power + mil hammer spring yet about half the pull weight.
I'd go with either of these 2. Probably the Heavy gunner for AR 10 with mil surp ammo.

1641108936640.png

Compare the std mil spec to the Enhanced duty below. Look at the difference radius's for sear location and think bicycle gearing. Given the same mil full power hammer spring the mil trigger has less leverage for the trigger & a higher force imparted on the sear (more friction).

1641107980965.png
1641108019934.png

I'll Second @Mike_in_FL suggestion. I'm also running the Hiperfire Hipertouch Elite. They hit the primer as hard or harder than mil triggers depending on which springs you install. The Hipertouch line basically gets you a lower pull weight & comes with springs for 2.5lb or 3.5lb pull. The toggle design puts even less friction on the sear then the EDT (guessing 1/2 of mil spec) so common sense tells me dirt & grime won't wear the sear surfaces as fast as mil spec. It also has a very prominent audible & tactile reset.

The only downside to the Hypertouch's is that they don't play well with non std safety selectors. If you have std then NP.

I have the Elite in my 16" 223 duty type carbine. It's set it up for max reliability and so far it's been 100% no mater what I feed it. Ran it in a carbine class during steady rain & it was a fight to your feet unconventional shooting positions. It wasn't the gun I intended to run, but the 300 BO was short stroking. Me and the gun were covered in mud. The instructor got a real kick out a watching me shoot sideways laying in the mud with the 3 port brake I had on it. Note to self: Never put brake on duty carbine.

Another anecdotal example:
A guy on my squad at a gas gun match kept getting light strike FTF. He had one of the cheap cartridge triggers, can't remember brand. One of the RO's at the (Geissele) match had a spare lower for just such an occurrence. It had a Hiperfire Hipertouch in it. Said if this doesn't light em it's not a trigger issue. The guy finished the match without another FTF.
1641107915603.png

Reactions: wade2big