• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend me a spotting scope stand!

Kirkd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2013
Greenwood, IN
I shoot probe f-class matches and 100 yard bench at range. Just got a spotting cape and now I'm looking for a spotting scope stand. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Vp H cmhb

I found out my tripod was too flimsy when I bought a spotting scope. I bought a Vanguard Alta. Tried it out in light to medium winds at 20-60x and it's working well.

I own 2 of the manfrotto 055CXPRO3 tripods, and I couldn't speak any higher of them. But to answer your question, it depends on what it is you are choosing to do with it. I like the carbon fiber for its lighter weight, when hunting is is not anywhere as cold to the touch in comparison to aluminum.
My particular tripod actual features the ability of the center riser to bend over at a 90 degree angle. Not sure if the aluminum version offers that.

With regards to the Manfrotto tripods, are the carbon fibers worth the additional money or just stick with aluminum?

Thanks Dave300. It's sometimes hard to tell which model is which due to the model numbers being almost identical. I'll take a look at the 055CXPRO3 and its features.

I own 2 of the manfrotto 055CXPRO3 tripods, and I couldn't speak any higher of them. But to answer your question, it depends on what it is you are choosing to do with it. I like the carbon fiber for its lighter weight, when hunting is is not anywhere as cold to the touch in comparison to aluminum.
My particular tripod actual features the ability of the center riser to bend over at a 90 degree angle. Not sure if the aluminum version offers that.

Kirkd, for F-Class, none of the tripod recommendations will work. You need a highpower scope stand that allows you to use it in the prone shooting position. Of the ones mentioned above, the Giraud, First Strike, and Ray Vin are valid choices. Also look at the Creedmoor Polecat stands. Creedmoor also sells the Ray-Vin, so definitely check out their website.

For F-class, you want to use your scope while scoring and also while shooting: a tripod is only good for one of those activities.