• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Recommend me a tripod.

wareagle700

Minuteman
Jan 5, 2010
SE Georgia
I have a Bushnell Excursion FFP spotting scope that is very nice but the tripod it came with isn't all that great. Who makes a good/sturdy one for a decent price?

Re: Recommend me a tripod.

The 055XPROB that hoosier recommended is a good option. It is heavy-duty, but with the weight to match it and isn't exactly handy/easy to field. Great for the range, etc., and my personal tripod. The other Manfrotto option is the 190XPROB which is a little lighter but basically has the same features, etc. Both are excellent and offer all the features you could ever want/need. If you want to go a little cheaper, skip the Manfrotto tripods with the horizontal center columns like the two above. You can save a good bit going that way.

Also, Danel Jenkins with Precision Rifle Solutions (PRS) offers some really nice units for around the $120 mark (give or take). He uses Slik tripods as the basis for his builts and they are well built, durable and should serve you well for both a shooting and spotting tripod. See here:

http://www.precisionriflesolutions.com/

+1 for Slik tripods, I haven't used the PRS tripods, but have several Sliks that have held up well. Amazon.com has what seems like the complete line from tiny to professional grade 52".

Go to b and h photo 190xv manfrotti in OD green for $154.

I just went through this and ended up buying a Slik Mini Sprint II

One of the best lines of tripods just came on the market. Systempro has come out with a 7x carbon tripod, the first on the market. It is light weight and very sturdy. We expand the one year warranty to a one year unconditional warranty!
My cut and paste is not working otherwise I would put the link here.
If you go to our site, www.cameralandny.com
Go to tripods
Brand Promaster, Systempro selection. There are two models
The T325 and T525. Both are amazing and either would be 20% off for forum members. They can take any Manfrotto head and we can give you 10% off. Feel free to contact me.

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
212-753-5128
[email protected]
www.cameralandny.com

Here are the links:

T325P

T525P

We are in the works of revamping and improving our site. We've been listening to the suggestions that have come to us and will be implementing those ideas into the rebuild of our site. Thanks for all the input.

You definitely should stick with a camera tripod. the ones like the Ewing and RayVin are only good for manicured ranges under better conditions. They don't handle the wind nearly as well as you'd expect, they don't work good at all on uneven surfaces, and they are expensive compared to what you get.

The camera tripod, with independent legs are money. The shorter carbon fiber are even better, but pricey, however compared it to a "Competition" tripod and you'll find its not that far off. People see pictures of the guys on the high power line using the competition ones and think that makes them good, well nothing can be farther from the truth. Get off that high power range and they are barely useable.

I like the Manfrottos myself, but also use Giottos, and other carbon fiber types, the ones Joel posted above are nice as well, as they compact, carbon fiber and have all the other important features.

WarEagle 700,

Can you be a little more descriptive as to how you intend on using this tripod? The SLIK tripods we use in our package with the SSP-1 and SSP-2 are compact, versatile, relatively light weight, and cost effective. After decades of trying other tripods I have found the models on our website Precision Rifle Solutions to work the best for portability, durability, ease of use to adapt to different enviroments and support a wide variety of shooting positions. The Medium and Large tripods have a "Quick detach" ball head which makes it very nice when transitioning between optics (spotting scope, video camera, camera, LRF, and shooting platform). Shoot me a PM or email [email protected] and I can get you the price of just a tripod if you would like. Take care and if we can be of any assistance in getting you what you want whether it is from us or not please do not hesitate to let me know. If you prefer my cell phone number is 281-541-1549.

Danel

After using Manfrotto for a while, I switched to Gitzo carbon fiber, which I have used for the last six years and have been very happy with it. I have carried it all over the world, and it has survived baggage handlers in real backwater places, along with rivers, surf, mud, sand, rocks and all kinds of crap. Every pro photographer I know uses carbon from Gitzo, Induro, or Really Right Stuff. RRS makes arguably the best ball heads too. Check them out. Although they are pricey, they are the best IMO. After spending thousands on cameras/lenses or rifles/optics, I sure don't want to scrimp on the support.

For field use, I like the Slik tripods. They are tough, and relatively inexpensive. If for some reason the tripod gets mangled, you won't cry a river because of a ~$100 tripod. If you are a professional photographer using it everyday or very often, a nicer one would be in order, but for the casual user you can't beat Slik.

I plan on using it for range and matches. The thing I dont like about the one I have now is that it is so sensitive that I cant get a good focus because is shakes so bad anytime it gets touched. Also, it is not easy to adjust the aim of it either. If you get it on target and try and tighten it down to stay, it shifts way up. I want something that can be smoothly adjusted, and mnounts rock solid. I dont care if it weighs 15 lbs and it made of cast iron, I just want it to work right. I also dont want to spend as much on the tripod as I did on the spotting scope.
Thanks.

I would go with a Manfrotto. I use mine for photography also and when shooting film at night under windy conditions with the shutter open for 1,2, or 3 minutes it has never let me down! They start around $200 and are very, very well made!

If you go with the Slik Sprint Mini II get the non QD head for better stability. The QD head adds just a little shakyness, but is still ok in reasonable conditions. Add enough wind and they all shake.

WarEagle 700,

Since weight and portability are not an issue run with the Manfrotto or Gitzo they are very stable when set up correctly. Price, materials of construction, range of adjustment and features will be your deciding factors then. I would suggest getting the horizontal grip head, I have found it easier to get on target quickly and it locks in place where you want it plus it allows for a lower profile on top of the tripod. Good luck and let us know what you end up with and how it works.

Danel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Imurhuckleberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sinclair and Ray Vin make great stands. check out their sites. </div></div>

x2 for Ray Vin. I looked around for about a month before I bought one of theirs, I didn't find anything that was as versatile & solid.

Edit: I only shoot at the range though...

Take a look at the Benro A-058M8. Very sturdy, independent legs, low min height, great value for the money.

I will tell you here at NorCal they have their Kowa spotters mounted on the Ray Vin and Creedmoor sports and they are absolutely shit...

The wind was up and they were worthless even on the concrete pad of the firing line here... the Manfrotto we brought was 100X more stable.

Those High Powers stands don't work in the Wind, don't work on uneven ground, and don't stabilize the optic correctly. Get a "real" tripod and not someone's idea of what a tripod should be.

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911.it</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at the Benro A-058M8. Very sturdy, independent legs, low min height, great value for the money.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will tell you here at NorCal they have their Kowa spotters mounted on the Ray Vin and Creedmoor sports and they are absolutely shit...

The wind was up and they were worthless even on the concrete pad of the firing line here... the Manfrotto we brought was 100X more stable.

Those High Powers stands don't work in the Wind, don't work on uneven ground, and don't stabilize the optic correctly. Get a "real" tripod and not someone's idea of what a tripod should be. </div></div>

Would the tripods you've recommended be suitable for prone shooting as well? I don't usually have someone spotting for me so I need a set up that lets me do it all myself. I've looked at the Gitzo Traveller, and it seems to have a very low minimum height but I'm uncertain of what ball head I should go with given my needs. It seems the off-center is the best idea. Any thoughts or pointers appreciated.

+1 Slik Sprint Mini II. and gun cradle so you can shoot off it to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will tell you here at NorCal they have their Kowa spotters mounted on the Ray Vin and Creedmoor sports and they are absolutely shit...

Those High Powers stands don't work in the Wind, don't work on uneven ground, and don't stabilize the optic correctly. Get a "real" tripod and not someone's idea of what a tripod should be. </div></div>

Would the tripods you've recommended be suitable for prone shooting as well? I don't usually have someone spotting for me so I need a set up that lets me do it all myself. I've looked at the Gitzo Traveller, and it seems to have a very low minimum height but I'm uncertain of what ball head I should go with given my needs. It seems the off-center is the best idea. Any thoughts or pointers appreciated.
</div></div>

Also wondering which Manfrotto tripod Lowlight was using...

OK, popped down my local camera store where they had just about everything and came back with a $50 Slick Mini-Pro. I'll give it a go on the range at Angeles and hopefully soon on some non-manicured terrain soon and give a report back.

Here are some pics for others to see. I put it on an uneven surface to all to see. It holds, but at this angle it is not very steady. The spotting scope is a 65MM one so it's a fair size an weight. Also, and I don't know if this is common to all spotters, but this Zeiss has a rotation ring that makes turning the scope about its own axis very easy and handy. To me it added to the usefulness of the set-up as whole.

Hope this has been useful.
DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg
DSC_0090.jpg

I've done photography (in addition to shooting) for a while and I would recommend a Gitzo. If you want light weight, carbon fiber is the way to go. In addition to weight, CF is also much stiffer which I like. Not cheap, but a good tripod will help steady the scope and reduce vibration.

Another tip is to hang a 10-20 lb weight under the scope on the tripod. That will dampen vibration from the wind significantly, make the viewing easier. I do that when my son and I are working out loads/dope at the range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hoosierswat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much are you looking to spend?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/50...ripod_Legs.html

Manfrotto's are always a good choice. </div></div>
Can't get any better than Manfrotto and they have a dizzying array of choices for anything you want and are the standard used by photographers and other professionals. Great for hunting. Get the Ray-Vin if you are looking for a highpower stand for your spotter.

I considered what was said on this thread and went with the Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 tripod with the 322RC2 head for my Kowa scope. It worked GREAT for the PacFleet Matches at Camp Pendleton in April:

11w3vuv.jpg

I checked out a lot of set ups out there. The Ray Vin is the way to go if you want a dedicated range tripod, but this set up lets me use my camera too, so it is much more versatile. One guy who had the Ray Vin was so impressed that he wrote down the model numbers of my rig. I hope this helps you guys still looking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hoosierswat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much are you looking to spend?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/50...ripod_Legs.html

Manfrotto's are always a good choice. </div></div>
Can't get any better than Manfrotto and they have a dizzying array of choices for anything you want and are the standard used by photographers and other professionals. Great for hunting. Get the Ray-Vin if you are looking for a highpower stand for your spotter. </div></div>

I just picked up a LNIB Bogen-Manfrotto 3001PROBX (same as the 190PROBX) with a 468RC2 ball head for $78 on... Dare I say it?.....Ebay. I know it could have turned out badly, but it didn't. I absoloutely love it. Rock solid, even in wind and on uneven ground or grass. You can set the Scope height anywhere from about 3" off the ground to about 60". And the price was right! Deals are out there, just be careful if you go the route I did.