• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommendation For A Reliable pistol for 22 Subsonic

.22LR? Reliable in what?

Almost all match is subsonic...at least the stuff that shoots like match not just the name on the box

Ooops. My bust.
A pistol that will cycle 22 lr Subsonic bullets.
Several years ago a friend had a pistol that came with several different springs. IIRC he said one was for subs. It may have been a Sig but that's a guess.
I know if I walk into the LGS I may not get good info.
Again sorry for the bad post.

I have a sig mosquito i dont know if they even make them anymore but it seemed to handle some subs fine. And others not so good

I do know my ruger 22/45 does not work well with subsonics suppressed or other wise.

Ooops. My bust.
A pistol that will cycle 22 lr Subsonic bullets.
Several years ago a friend had a pistol that came with several different springs. IIRC he said one was for subs. It may have been a Sig but that's a guess.
I know if I walk into the LGS I may not get good info.
Again sorry for the bad post.
The Sig Mosquito did come with different recoil springs for different ammo. I have one and it took a good bit of work to make it run right. Lots of polishing and massaging, but it runs like a top now with any ammo I feed it. It is shot suppressed 99.9% of the time.

Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC
The 22-45 was a recommendation from a LGS and I found a few reviews. Most recommended new triggers and blah blah blah. So I figured the Hide is the place for the true skinny.
I do know my ruger 22/45 does not work well with subsonics suppressed or other wise.

Reactions: squishee
I have a Ruger mk 2 that cycles anything. I usually shoot match or standard velocity stuff in it. Aside from rounds with dud primers, I can’t remember that last time it malfunctioned. I have a Walter P22 that seems to eat everything as well, suppressed or not.

My 22/45 doesnt like any subsonics period. It has 1000s of rounds so its broke in and clean.
Sk/ Lapua/ CCI its not reliable.
Works perfect with high velocity so i couldnt recommend it for suppressor / quiet duty .

Of course mine is only a sample of 1

Last edited:
Reactions: 47guy
The GSG Firefly is basically the Sig Mosquito. My Mosquito is finicky. My 22/45 Lite will run with CCI Quiet Semi Auto.

Last edited:
Reactions: squishee
The 22-45 was a recommendation from a LGS and I found a few reviews. Most recommended new triggers and blah blah blah. So I figured the Hide is the place for the true skinny.
Yeah, Mk IV 22/45 is the way to go. Get this spring kit to tune the action for lighter (or heavier) loads:

If your daughter wants to do actual target shooting, go with the steel upper. The Lite guns are fine for plinking but with the plastic lower, it's just too light to settle on target. Ruger doesn't currently list a threaded steel upper 22/45, though.

If you want to spend the money, a Voluartsen Mamba is their upper on a Mk IV grip with all of their performance parts already installed. It's still a bit light for me but you can add weight to the lower pic. rail.

Not a full factory gun but here's how I'm running mine:
DSC_1212.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC
I measured velocity of various 40 gr .22LR HV ammo including CCV mini-mag with a chrono and found that all of it was subsonic when shot through a 5” or shorter barrel. There might be a little more report due to the larger powder charge with the HV ammo.

pistols with less reciprocating mass like a Ruger Standard Mk or Browning Buckmark cycle better Than pistols with a full slide like a Kimber .22 conversion for a 1911. The .22 conversion needs the HV ammo to be reliable.

I have to ask the same question as others above - are we talking loads advertised as "subsonic", or just garden-variety standard-velocity target loads (which will be subsonic from a normal pistol barrel)? The latter seem to work just fine for suppressed plinking.

I have two Ruger MKIII 22/45 Lites that eat a variety of ammo with no issues, but if I had to pick just one pistol with maximum versatility, it'd be a standard MKII (preferably with the 5.5" bull barrel, front sight relocated, and then threaded). Might need a lighter recoil spring for the lightest loads, but if a MKII won't digest something, the issue is at the ammo and not the gun :ROFLMAO:

For subsonic plinking from a finicky gun, try the Agulia 60gr SSS. I had a Ciener 1911 conversion, and that's the only stuff it would digest.

A revolver. Virtually all .22 pistols are blowback and subs do not have the energy to cycle an action.

The only reliable pistol for subs is a revolver.

• Haha
Reactions: hlee
The s&w mp has been my favorite, sold all my rugers after using it. The 41's are very nice but expensive.

From my 4” and 5 1/2” MKIIs the velocity of non-high velocity standard ammo and CCI Subsonic is very close to the same, as mentioned before. There is a big difference in sound between the two, subsonic being much quieter, but I only notice when shooting suppressed. My Rugers have no issues cycling CCI Subsonic & CCI Standard, in fact, the only thing I have found that they don’t like is Remington.

Browning Buckmark is my go-to for suppressed .22.
Stay away from all Walther P22s.... Mine, like many others, had a slide break under normal use.
I tuned the trigger springs in both of my Buckmark pistols.
Like all other .22 pistols with a sliding rear action, they need to be kept clean and lubed to work optimally.
I have several friends with PacNor Ruger conversions that run pretty well.

Ruger Mark II w CCI Standard Velocity. Never jams and never hav one go super

If your using a supressor i like the browning buckmark. The action doesn't contain the unburnt powder and gasses so it stays cleaner. Mine runs everything I've tried to shoot thru it. For plinking I like my S&W 41 though.

I have two favorites.
A Browning Buckmark that I bought many years ago. I swapped the barrel to a tactical solutions so I could use my silencer on it.
S&W m&p22 compact I can also use my silencer with it.
I can run any ammo through either of those guns and it’s subsonic up to mini mags.
I can run velocitor in the S&W and it’s still subsonic.

My 22/45 Lite without suppressor, is hit or miss with subs, but suppressed it works great. That's with stock trigger and springs.

I also use a s&w m&p 22. Never had a single malfunction and it came with the threaded barrel and runs great with anything so far. Mainly use the cci sv and the cci suppressor ammo

T/C contender. action cycles 100% every time.

you’re welcome. 😂

brother had a buckmark....and it was a real challenge to find any kind of ammo it was reliable with. i’ve shot ruger mark IV’s with no problems. but i am sure, somewhere out there, someone has had the opposite experience than i have.

the T/C is the ONLY answer that i can give you that’ll hold true no matter what.

I did own the original M&P22 that was made by Walther and it was reliable with most anything. I currently shoot the S&W Victory. In the 5 years I've owned it never a bobble with any 22LR ammo.

Tactical Solutions sells a variety pack of recoil springs for the Ruger MK series of pistols dependent on energy/velocity
theyre color coded,,,I use the white one for subs
OP, PM me and I’ll send you one

Reactions: BBVDD
Throw in another vote for the mkiv 22/45. The only subs mine doesn't run is the 710 fps cci's, about 50% failure to feed. It does fine with the 970's and up. I usually run the cci subs listed at 970 as they run in the volquartsen too. Both suppressed, no clue how they run without. The stock trigger is fine unless you feel like throwing money at it. It's not a lawyered up trigger like you might be imagining.

Nelson Conversion on an old .45 1911 frame. Why? It is typically as accurate as needed to clean the Bullseye matches it is used in. It is reasonably priced, comes with enough springs of differing rates to allow SV or HV ammo use, takes either a RDS or Irons on a removable top rail, can run SV reliably suppressed, and you can call owner up and discuss his equipment. I have a Pardini SP, and two of Nelson’s units. I shoot the Nelson more than the Pardini. It does the Steel Challenge very well, and can handle Bullseye just fine. Folks at Camp Perry love them. Plus, unlike miss Pardini, the mags are inexpensive and hold 10 rounds. Over 40k rounds through my 5” non-suppressed barrel with no FTF or FTE. I use SK+ or Eley Edge. Either will eat the 10-ring out at 50 yards.

Ideally whatever your daughter picks out. If she picks it she'll want to shoot it. If you're a 1911 guy, Nelson conversion with a couple of springs.

My 22/45 Lite cycles everything i run through it but primarily gets shot with SK Std + that is subsonic.
The only issue i have ever had with it is when i first shot it i ended up with a lead ring in the barrel that after cleaning it out has been flawless but i did polish the bolt to slick it up a little.

As mentioned before, Ruger mark 3-4 cut down to 3.5-4 inches and you can run the bulk ammo and it won’t go supersonic.

I’ll throw an oddball out there;

beretta 71

there were a bunch that floated in from ‘16-18 and they are; small, accurate, function with everything, are well made (because old things are actually made with quality materials), and its one of the quietest 22lr pistol suppressor hosts I’ve ever tested.

A Beretta 71 would be awesome.... The Israelis used the 70/71 with great success.

Last edited: