• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters Recommendations: Fluid head for spotting scope

MotoSinge

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2019
Hi all. I’m looking for a decent fluid head for spotting. Any recommendations?

A great option is the Revic FH-1. Light weight very smooth and great in low temperatures

Normally they are $199.99, would be $169.99

Here is a link

Give us a call with any questions

It’s not a fluid head, but the Berlebach 553 does have a spring tension “counterbalance”. I don’t think it has a fancy counterbalance like some $2k video heads, but it does prevent flop.

Smooth. Locks totally off vs. some fluid heads. Made in Germany and I ordered it off their website (christ the euro is below the dollar now??? Whooooo!!). I own one and use it with a RRS leveling head.

SH tripod guru @Diver160651 recommends them.

The Oudoorsmans fluid head seems to have a good rep. But no counterbalance or spring tension to prevent flopping, so you might have to have a long Arca plate to achieve balance. Rokslide has a review that indicates it doesn’t fully lock off either.

Remember, you tend to get what you pay for.

On the issue of “fully locked off“ or not I’m a little confused. I come from a photography background so I want my tripod heads to completely lock off. However, it seems like lots of fluid heads for video work do NOT fully lock off. The ones that do are $1.5k+ dollars.

I’m guessing here, but I imagine it’s because video work often prioritizes panning and tilting versus static shots. It seems like a lot of these fluid heads without a lock off will stay in the same spot after you let them go, but I don’t really know. Might only stay in the same spot if your scope is pointing level. It may sag/creep if it’s angled down. Something to think about.

Last edited: