• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Recommendations for 223 bolt rifle

50/50 this is troll bait. If not, good for you ( sincerely ).

It isn't troll bait. I'll admit 100% that I'm not into the same style of shooting that some here are. For the type of shooting that I've seen and done, I really don't get the chassis. But I'm open to being educated. I got the RPR because I think the feature set that it has for the price is just an amazing value. But like I said, the ergo's on my Savage 10 are just as nice as they are on my RPR.

...And no cratering of primers like the RPR. I think that's why it hasn't come up more in this thread. Ruger needs to unf#ck that issue; then they'd see a lot more attention/demand.

I bought a cheap Savage heavy barrel, put it in a B&C medalist stock and it shoots lights out. The loading was a pain and the feeding wasn't that reliable. So I send it to Jeff and he installed a CDI bottom metal. I'm running an Accurate Mag. Feed and function is satisfactory. The accuracy is outstanding.

I'm not advocating Savage. I'm just sharing a data point.

These groups were shot with that gun.
https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...ornady-75gr-eld-match-better-than-175-smk-308

I did exactly the same build. It started with a Savage 12FV .223 from Cabela's last summer. It is just a lovely rifle and shoots 1/2 MOA and 6" groups or less at 600 yards.

It isn't troll bait. I'll admit 100% that I'm not into the same style of shooting that some here are. For the type of shooting that I've seen and done, I really don't get the chassis. But I'm open to being educated. I got the RPR because I think the feature set that it has for the price is just an amazing value. But like I said, the ergo's on my Savage 10 are just as nice as they are on my RPR.

I sometimes wish I liked a traditional stock so I wouldn't have to put the extra cash into a chassis.

Accurate Mag and KRG X-Ray work flawlessly for me. (Just burned through 900 rds on a week long PD trip without a hiccup, using both their 5 rd and 10 rd mags)

You and I must be on the same page because this is the second time in the same thread I've quoted you. I've ran 2600+ through this exact setup (a solid chunk from prairie dog hunting as well) with only one random hiccup. Feeds like butta'

You and I must be on the same page because this is the second time in the same thread I've quoted you. I've ran 2600+ through this exact setup (a solid chunk from prairie dog hunting as well) with only one random hiccup. Feeds like butta'

Have either of you guys ran the MDT mags? If so, what did ya think about them?

I have not. My buddy had them, but looking at them, I passed. Maybe I'm just old, but I don't think plastic mags (or bottom metal for that matter) belong in a bolt action rifle. My buddy shot with them, and in some chassis' they worked fine, in one (can't recall which it was) they didn't run worth a shit. BTW, they (MDT mags) will also not work in .300BO bolt gun at all.

Honestly never bothered looking into MDT mags. I did a lot of looking around for 223 mags and the Accurate Mags seemed to be the standard.
After running 2600+ rounds through just two ten round mags with only one issue I don't feel the need to switch.
The $40 price difference is not worth using iffy mags.

I assembled mine, savage LRP action, changed the bolt head for a .223, picked up a take off F class barrel for $150, Mcree chassis for 400, shoots one hole groups, total cost about a grand, shoots one hole at 100, 11 mils to 1K with 77 grain SMK's.

This is where my head went first.....savage savage i know. But they shoot! At least the three i have do.

Yes Savages shoot (I own several/half dozen), but when it comes to detachable magazine feeding they are cumbersome, clunky and tend to have problems (especially in chassis IME). After running an AI-AT for the last three years, I am hard pressed to go back to something that doesn't feed well or reliably. Hence, Tikka Varmint in .223, KRG chassis and AM mags...and Tikkas shoot as well. Tikka Varmint $850 and KRG Chassis come in around $1500, and will feed almost as smooth as the AI.

If you can be satisfied with a 1:12 twist, IMO there is no better value on the market at the moment than the Sabatti Rover Tactical for $900. Top quality, built like a tank, accurate and the trigger can be adjusted to well under a pound. I set mine to 12 oz. and it will go lower.

The Sabatti uses Remington 700 bases and there are actually 3 different Tactical models. I've linked one of them below.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/sabatti-r...tical-223.html

The new version which will hopefull be stateside soon will be a 1:8 last I heard.