• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommendations for a .22 Pistol

Longrange1971

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2012
Maryland
Hi folks,
wanted o start by saying this is a great forum I was on here once before several years ago but lost touch. Glad to be back!!

I am in the market for a new .22 pistol. I have all different calibers of handguns, but I have never owned a .22 pistol. It is time to start getting my sun into handgun shooting and I was looking at either the Ruger or the Browning buckmark. What do you guys think would be the best bet. I am certainly welcome to any other suggestions as well.
Thanks

Re: Recommendations for a .22 Pistol

I bought a Walther P22 for my son. It has been, well, an experience. First the slide catch spring popped out. It was so mangled, I had to get Smith (they handle U.S. distribution and customer service) to send a new one. I quickly learned this was common and that you have to glue them in. Next was the little worm screw on the front of the fake compensator, again, they sent a new one.

I can say that if you feed it with the CCI Mini-mag ammo, it does not jam. Remington and Federal, not so much. The trigger is ok and the accuracy is pretty decent.

My 10 year old can sure rip through the plate racks with it.

I have been on the board of directors for an Indoor Shooting Range for over 20 years. In that time I have also served as a Range Officer and as such have seen and had the opportunity to shoot several different .22 LR Handguns.

I would have to recommend a Ruger. They seem to be a lot more bullet proof so to speak than some of the other makes and models. Plus if you are possiblly going to modify it at some point in time the Ruger is much, mush easier to customize.

As to which version of the Ruger is better, that is a toss up. Some guys like the grip angle, feel and weight of the 22/45 while others perfer the grip angle, feel and wieght of the MKI, MKII or MKIII Steel Frame versions.

Prior to Ruger bringing out the RP (Replaceable Grip Panel) versions of the MKIII a lot of us did the modification ourselves, modifying the grip frame, installing 1911 grip screw bushings and screwing on our favorite 1911 grip panels.

Larry

I vote buckmark. have had both, and the ruger was good, dis assembly and assembly was not fun. I also had a few FTE and stove pipes with the ruger, never had a bit of trouble with the buckmark.

Both the Buckmark and Ruger are great. Pick which one fits your hand best and go with it.

Hey guys thanks for the suggestions.
I think the best thing to do is take my son with me and see which one fits him the best. then I can go from there.

Ruger Mk II or III, Browning Buckmark, GSG1911 (or sig if you want to spend the extra $100 on it for some reason), or a 22 conversion kit for your favorite centerfire.

I have been on the board of directors for an Indoor Shooting Range for over 20 years. In that time I have also served as a Range Officer and as such have seen and had the opportunity to shoot several different .22 LR Handguns.

I would have to recommend a Ruger. They seem to be a lot more bullet proof so to speak than some of the other makes and models. Plus if you are possiblly going to modify it at some point in time the Ruger is much, mush easier to customize.

As to which version of the Ruger is better, that is a toss up. Some guys like the grip angle, feel and weight of the 22/45 while others perfer the grip angle, feel and wieght of the MKI, MKII or MKIII Steel Frame versions.

Prior to Ruger bringing out the RP (Replaceable Grip Panel) versions of the MKIII a lot of us did the modification ourselves, modifying the grip frame, installing 1911 grip screw bushings and screwing on our favorite 1911 grip panels.

Larry
How do the buckmarks work out?
Thanks

I've got a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite and I love it. Make sure you get the lite model as the standard one is heavy as a brick. I also have a Buckmark which I love too but the 22/45 is the family favorite. Its the favorite for the wife and kids due to the weight and smaller grip size. Feels much better in the hand over the Browning. Shooting it supressed makes it that much better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boltyboi
Even with the way my 22/45 is setup as you see it in the pic its still noticeably lighter then the Browning. Don't get me wrong the Buck Mark is awesome to shoot but I love the way the grip feel and how the ruger shoots.

Also someone noted that the rugers are a pain to break down. I'm pretty sure that was on the older models. The new mark iv is so quick and easy to open up.

Attachments

• 20200531_085545.jpg
    20200531_085545.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 86
Absolutely a Ruger Mk IV in whatever flavor tickles your fancy. I just got a 22/45 Lite and I’m very pleased with it.

Some folks prefer the semi-auto, but my daughter likes revolvers.
She first put her hands on a Ruger Single Six at ten years old,
20 years later it's still her favorite rimfire.

I've been informed that she has dibs when I finally kick off. :D

At Shot Show TANDEMKROSS had a great aftermarket trigger for the S&W Victory, it had the best trigger feel compared to Ruger and Buckmark. For that alone I'd get the S&W, it was like the trigger on my Benelli MP95 which is a expensive target grade rimfire pistol.

My normal rule is friends don’t let friends buy Taurus, but my TX-22 has been pretty impressive. I would check it out and throw it in the mix for consideration.

S&w m/p full size .22.
Built by Carl Walter in Germany. Shoots gemtec and wolf match like a laser. Walmart bulk ammo even runs perfectly and shoots very well. With the caveat of being subsonic for cheap.
Absolutely a diamond in the rough. Actually feels and controls like a combat pistol. Ran 11 different flavors of rimfire in it, functionality is perfect, accuracy is excellent.
I've owned mine since they came out. Shoot it with an old swr spectre.
Haven't shot my Ruger since I bought it. 12 round stainless mags because they could.

Reactions: Boltyboi
Just to throw a little more confusion into the mix, I start my kids out on a S&W SW22 Victory. It's heavy enough to almost totally absorb recoil, and the grip is small enough for even my 10 year old daughter to use easily. I have found it to be 100% reliable with every cheap ammo I've put through it, and it's been impressively accurate - which is important in keeping them from getting frustrated because they can't hit anything. I've always had Ruger Mark series 22 pistols, but I'm really happy with this S&W .

Reactions: silentwoods
S&w m/p full size .22.
Built by Carl Walter in Germany. Shoots gemtec and wolf match like a laser. Walmart bulk ammo even runs perfectly and shoots very well. With the caveat of being subsonic for cheap.
Absolutely a diamond in the rough. Actually feels and controls like a combat pistol. Ran 11 different flavors of rimfire in it, functionality is perfect, accuracy is excellent.
I've owned mine since they came out. Shoot it with an old swr spectre.
Haven't shot my Ruger since I bought it. 12 round stainless mags because they could.

I had no idea this thing existed. I guess now one can debate the concept of a "trainer pistol" like the trainer rifles. I have an M&P pro and that would be fun to have for some backyard steel shooting.

My .02 cents. The best and most fun pistol is a Volquartsen! Based off the Ruger but way better trigger and accuracy.

Attachments

• 20200512_114513.jpg
    20200512_114513.jpg
    812.9 KB · Views: 48
Another vote for Volquartsen scorpion. Hand held rifle. They are simply amazing

Yes. Nothing like any other pistol I have shot

If money is no object, get a korth revolver.
If you want to run suppressed, short list is browning buck mark or ruger mark ii-iv. Everything else is junk in my experience. That covers the walthers, berettas, umarexes, and s&w’s.
I recently acquired a colt woodsman NIB. Its staying in there too. The pistols i shoot the most in rimfire are a tac sol’d buckmark and a 1970’s H&R revolver. I have a single six but the H&R is better quality overall. The single six is pretty rough in comparison.

Last edited:
Depends on what you are wanting to do, to get your son something to just plink I personally couldn’t justify spending a boat load, so the buck mark, SW victory and ruger are all great and have a ton of aftermarket parts to make them competitive if you want to shoot steel challenge at some point. If you want the best out of box volquartsen scorpion (not the mamba). Or just get a CWA and get him prepped for a 2011

I had no idea this thing existed. I guess now one can debate the concept of a "trainer pistol" like the trainer rifles. I have an M&P pro and that would be fun to have for some backyard steel shooting.
Yes sir.
I wore out a sig mosquito with the kids.
Bought this pistol and haven't ever looked back.
It is flat amazing.
Perfect trainer.
Perfect target.
Perfect suppressor host.
Perfect mossad pistol.
And a 12 round stainless steel mag, because they could.
Fantastic weapon. Period.

Reactions: munsonbw
I've got a Buckmark and two Mark IVs; out of the box the Buckmark wins, but after putting VQ trigger kits in the Marks, they take the cake. I have some single action revolvers also, all Rugers; Single Six, Single Ten, New Bearcat x2, and Wrangler. I would suggest single action revolver to get a kid into shooting...sure a semiauto is going to be "fun" for them, but that fun just comes with burning through ammo. Slowing them down so they aim and make the shot count with a single action will teach them more in the long run.

I recently bught a S&W Perormance center Victory . Very impressed, box stock.

Turned mine into a Rimfire CHallengerace gun. The "bones" are good enuf to to do that.

Hi folks,
wanted o start by saying this is a great forum I was on here once before several years ago but lost touch. Glad to be back!!

I am in the market for a new .22 pistol. I have all different calibers of handguns, but I have never owned a .22 pistol. It is time to start getting my sun into handgun shooting and I was looking at either the Ruger or the Browning buckmark. What do you guys think would be the best bet. I am certainly welcome to any other suggestions as well.
Thanks
I have had a number of the Ruger pistols ranging from the MK2 through the MK4. They all shot very well and never once had a problem. The triggers are a little rough out of the box, but the VQ trigger upgrade really works well.

If its his first pistol, the Ruger Wrangler is super cheap and doesn't burn through too much ammo. I have one, and its not nearly as accurate at the MK3 nor does it have adjustable sights, but it is still fun and arguably safer than most of the autos for a new shooter.

Ruger MK4, 22/45. I've had a MK3 since they became available, and all three daughters received MK4 22/45's last Christmas. Everyone has a Volquartsen Trigger, custom grips, and several thousand rounds downrange!

Did I miss the budget? How old is the son? As someone previously mentioned, if you are trying to get him into shooting, I would make him part of the decision process. Not just for fit, but also what he wants. I suppose that probably applies to high-school age kids somewhat, but I would think especially younger shooters will be more interested with a gun that appeals to them. A S&W 41 or a Scorpion are great guns, but if he is drawn to something like the M&P 22 because it looks "cool" he may be more inclined to shoot it after the new wears off.

I had a Victory and a 22/45 at the same time. Both were flawless, but I decided to keep the 22/45 and sell the Victory. The only reason I chose the Ruger was the way it feels in my hand. I'm a 1911 guy and I like the grip angle and feel of the Ruger. I won't get into the way I feel about the MK II and MK III though.

Just one?????

I'd recommend the Ruger Mk 2/3/4 22/45, the S&W M&P, or the S&W 41 for semi's. I'd stay away from most of the walthers, they seem to be unreliable as do the lesser quality Rugers.

And you're gonna need a revolver or two...the wranger is absolutely a cheap gun but it shoots good and we haven't had any complaints so it's hard to justify the money for a single six but I've had the single six for almost 40 years and it's not going anywhere. Boy has a SP101 and it's also a great option, especially if you want double action.

The Glock 44 is a fair little hand gun. Just is not threaded on the barrel yet.

For your first 22 pistol you really can't go wrong with a used Ruger Mk III.

Don't spend a lot for your #1 despite all of the hoopla. A Ruger is cheap, accurate and reliable. You will know in short order whether you want something better after using it for a while.

One of my kids shoots a 22/45 Lite, the other shoots a P22. I have been playing with a Kimber conversion on a 1911 frame I had started building for something else and lost interest. All shoot good and get the job done.

Best one MkIV 22/45

Attachments

• BEF69490-27CE-4A93-8B5B-3FAA1D1E4EB0.jpeg
    BEF69490-27CE-4A93-8B5B-3FAA1D1E4EB0.jpeg
    494.9 KB · Views: 40
M&p .22 if you want a combat type trainer. Works awesome to teach new shooters, and the controls are much more... normal, than the Rugers etc. Mine runs like a top on thunderbolt for about 400 rounds and needs to be cleaned. That also happens almost every range trip... yeah I have more rounds down range with that than any single other firearm. I'm also more accurate with it than any of my other handguns.

22/45 if you want a more traditional .22lr handgun. Should have the edge in accuracy, and has the upgrade possibilities too. It's the 10/22 of the handgun world. I want one with a bulk barrel for hunting and more precise target shooting.

What do want to do with a .22 and how much are you willing to spend? That should narrow your search. The Buckmark (my first pistol and still a favorite) and Ruger Mk4s are great starters. I like to point out the Buckmarck is a descendant of a John Browning design, and the Ruger is a .22 Nambu. But the Mark series is much improved over the Nambu. The Victory I have not heard much of since their release. But they did get good reviews. And outside that you have clones of centerfire, revolvers, Single Action Army revolvers, match grade, Olympic, ect. Lot of options and prices from under 200 to guns that make you wonder who is buying them at that price.

Both the Ruger and Browning are so well established you will likely be pleased either way. If it's your first foray into rimfire pistol I'd suggest getting one that feels most natural in your hand. Ruger has the 2 different frames and even then with all the grip options it can be changed more. Factory pistols are likely to shoot the same for accuracy once you find what ammo it likes best. There is a fair amount of aftermarket support for both but Ruger probably a bit more. Check out TandemKross for parts and gear either way. Buy tons of ammo and get out and enjoy the world of no recoil and endless plinking!!

Firesights the way to go for aftermarket sights on the Buckmark? Just picked up the 4" MicroBull and wasn't a huge fan of the sights.

Any other worthwhile upgrades? Not threaded, and not a fan of RDS on pistols.