• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommendations for Chronograph

steinmaster

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm looking to add a chronograph to my reloading kit. Anyone have recommendations for a good but basic chrono? I don't need anything fancy with all the bells and whistles, just an accurate basic chrono.

Thanks

I started out with an Alpha Chrony but got tired of bad readings from overcast. I picked up a magnetto v3 from mile high a few weeks ago and tested it out this past Thursday and worked like a champ. Only draw back is need to keep the alpha around to chrono pistol rounds. Definitely far from the cheapest but if you can pick up a used v1 or v2 at a good price I'd recommend it.

Prochrono digital

The directions say to color your "shiny" bullets if that happens to help register the rounds, so not sure if that was an issue or not.

The above was on a review on Midway USA. Also I read a few posts about a cloudy day being an issue for some.

Can anyone give a noob I quick explanation?

Thx
Mioby

I picked up a Magnetospeed v2 a while ago. Works great and is very user friendly. It took all of 5 minutes to figure it out and be getting data. Is expensive though

+1 for Magnetospeed !! Just picked up a new one, the best investment I've made in new gear in a long time! Very easy to set up and use, saves data to an SD card. Don't have to worry about sun or setting up on tripod at correct distances. ONLY drawback is the price, but I think it pays for itself when considering time and energy saved, which equals more rounds down range.

Personally, if I was going to spend the cash on a Magnetospeed, I would hold off for one of these: mylabradar.com

I just don't like the idea of attached something to my barrel...

I had a magnetospeed but couldn't get it to work with my short barrel. They did however refund me the cost and they had great customer service. I went with a pro chrono and in very happy with it.

About half the time I take chrono to range, it's been crowded and kind of disruptive to set up Comp Electonics Pro Chrono, only because it takes a few minutes to line up properly, but also, if there are not frequent cease fires, you just keeping running strings and writing down data, without SD/ES, though you can calculate it. Picked up V3 Magnetospeed, which has mitigated all of these issues, including weather conditions as a factor. And super simple setup. Very happy with upgrade. Know it's a bit pricy, but well worth the essential functions and convenience benefits it brings to the table.

I have a Prochrono Digital. My buddy has one as well.

I would NOT purchase another. There are times when neither will read the projectiles. We've tried putting them under a tent, using the provided sun shields, taking them off, using a truck to block the sun's angle, etc. Sometimes it works great, but when it doesn't work, it's useless.

The magnetospeed seems to be the way to go, as I unerstand it is accurate and always dependable.

I cant recommend one but I can recommend one not to get. I opted for the cheap way out and got a Chrony F1. I would say it works 75% of the time with rifles and 0 % with handguns. At least with my trying to determine speed with my .45 loads. It is absolutely horrible and was an absolute waste of money. Im sending mine back to be looked at. I have borrowed a friends CED M2 and it's very nice. I used a Magnetospeed once and liked it also but it changed my POI when I used it. Gave me speeds every single shot, but pushed the bullet up on target. The owner of it told me that would happen after my shots were higher than I thought. At 300 yards my scope was set at 0 MOA and I am sighted in at 200 yrds. My next one is probably going to be the Prochrono.

Having run a number of chronos (Shooting Chrony, CED, PACT) over a number of years, I bought a Magnetospeed about 2 years ago, and I would NEVER use anything else again (unless the Labradar turns to be all it is marketed as).

Per above, keep your eyes out for a used one. I am sure the newer V2 and V3 are nice, but I have the original V1, and I have no problems using it.

I'm looking to add a chronograph to my reloading kit. Anyone have recommendations for a good but basic chrono? I don't need anything fancy with all the bells and whistles, just an accurate basic chrono.

Thanks

If you want something accurate, leave anything with Chrony in the name like a virus.

Magnetospeed, it's your best bet for something accurate and reasonably priced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, if I was going to spend the cash on a Magnetospeed, I would hold off for one of these: mylabradar.com

I just don't like the idea of attached something to my barrel...
Price range?

Stang,

Price is bit high. However for a range or shooting club. That would be wonderful to have on site. If it can be shared with 5 re-loaders that would be great.

Bought the Magnetospeed V3 last week and used it on Mon & Tues. Great investment and easy to use.

Another vote for the Magnetospeed V3.

I used mine for the first time this past week end and it picked up every shot from subsonic 300 black out to supersonic 308.

I have suppressors on all my guns and it mounted to them with no issues at all.

I almost went with one of the $100 chronographs and I am glad I spent the money on the magnetospeed. Very happy with it.

I have chrony Master Beta (someone in their marketing dept. has a good sense of humor). It is the absolute best chrono out there. Hands down, definitely what you should buy. I'll hook you up with mine, in trade for a Magneto V3. Very generous of me I know....

Seriously, strictly based on ease of setup and convenience, go V3. Jealous every time I go to the range and someone has a V3 there. My range won't let us set up chrono's. So I gotta drive an hour to the woods if I want to shoot over my stupid Chrono. Waste of money & time. V3 envy...