• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Recommendations for Glock sights?

BurnOut

DDOJSIOC
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
Dallas
All- I am in the process of assembling a 6" upper in 10mm for a large frame Glock, and am looking for sight options... I have used TruGlo TFOs in the past, and really like them, but they aren't an option on this upper because it has the large coffin cut on the top of the slide and I don't want to be concerned about snagging (and bending/breaking) the front sight on something. I have used Meprolight adjustables on another build, and like those, too.

I'm just looking for other options (mostly because I'm in the mood to try something new)... the intended use of the gun is primarily target shooting, but also some (pig) hunting. I also plan on running my Osprey on this host. With that said, night sights are pretty much a must-have (the piggies generally come out at night), and tall sights to clear the Osprey are a nice-to-have. If I had my druthers (read: if they were available), I'd go with the tritium version of the ODS sights from R4E... alas, they don't seem to be available.

So... what does everyone think?

Have you seen a set of those in person? They seem to be a large departure from other tritium sights including the ones you have said you have experience with. I am of the school that less is more on the rear sight. The ods seems like a lot to distract from the front sight for sights said to increase speed. I'll reserve judgement until after I shoot some. If and when that happens.

What are you trying to do with a sight that a 3 dot or dot-over-dot won't accomplish? Ameriglo make suppressor height sights for the glock in a 3-dot arrangement similar to the to sights you have stated you liked. Trijicon also started making glock suppressor sights available with or without the white outline. Seems to have checked the needs and likes listed. Haven't used ameriglo personally so I'll let others comment regarding quality. Trijicons have performed fine.

If you need something different a dot over dot arrangement has worked well for me. Trijicon HD sights are a little different and have gained a wide following but are not tall enough to clear a suppressor.

Personally I use 10-8 or heinie on my guns unless they came with Trijicons or mepros. 10-8 on glocks going forward.

Last edited:
10-8 on glocks going forward.

That's how I roll on about all of the pistols that I can get their sights for. 10-8 makes a tall rear sight that, when coupled with a Dawson front, will clear a can or co-witness with a red dot. I also prefer tritium up front only(or fiber optic, if that's the only option).

I have some heinie straight eights on my 34 and truglo hi-rise on my suppressed 21.....next on my list is a set of hi-rise straight eight trijis to see over the can on the 21. I personally love the straight eights.

I run the XS big dot on my 10mm Glock.... I have not had any issues and I have shot it with a suppressor. They are not tall enuf to clear the can but if you are looking thru the sight picture it isn't a problem with the big front dot....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: the ODS sights, it just looks like an interesting concept and as call_me_ski mentioned, it would be interesting to shoot them. I dunno... like I said, I'm just in the mood to try something different.

Re: the XS sights, I have actually been eyeing those as well. As duey1267 mentioned, they don't seem to be tall enough to clear the can, but I shot a set on an SR1911 the other day and did well with them...

The good news is that the Glock is the small block Chevrolet of the pistol world, so there are plenty of options....

I use adjustable Meprolight tritium sights when I don't use fixed Trijicons. Great target sights alone, but the tritium is nice to have too. I use these on a 17L and a G20. You can black out the tritium with lampblack for day competitions if desired. They have the big, tall blade front sight and fully adj. rear target sight. Easy to install.

If you decide you want a smaller slide, I have a "tactical" cut slide that's lighter and a bit shorter (5.35" bbl.?) and a threaded NM bbl., PM me if you are interested. No need for it now, basically new and unused (except for factory testing). More reliable than the 6" as I recall (the 6" is damn heavy, is it not?). Good luck either way!

I run 10-8 on my carry guns and Dawson's on my target guns. I like the Heinie as well. I think it's the straight 8 model. I prefer a tritium front and black rear for carry. Solid black for target.

Last edited:
Dawson. I prefer a competition set up. Either fiber optic or tritium in the front sight and a plain black rear. I find dots on the rear sights distracting and confusing.

Getting ready to remove my Heinie Straight 8s and will be putting on 10-8 Sights.

I use ameriglo hackathorns on my idpa/carry gun. I prefer the plain rear as it makes it faster not trying to visually line multiple dots or lines up for me. The front is tritium with an iridescent orange paint around it which is almost red dot bright in the sunlight. They are fairly cheap too at 75 bucks iirc

I am waiting on R4E as well. I have not heard an ETA but if you are not in a huge hurry, I'd keep waiting.

Sound like a really cool project... Good luck