• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Recommendations for kids first AR optic.

SemperFiDawg

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2008
Dublin, Georgia
I have a 17 y/o daughter, 15 y/o son and 9 y/o son. I have bought and assembled each of them a PSA 5.56 with 16 inch upper. Looking for recommendations for optics. Mainly looking for something they could plink with at the range out to 500 yards and double as a hunting optic for deer where the average shot is probably less than 50 yards. I have done some reading and was leaning toward a SWFA 6x and a Holosun mounted on a cant, but thought maybe some of you guys with kids or grandkids could give me some input before I pulled the trigger. I learned on iron sights, but I think optics are a better route, especially for kids due to the shortened learning curve and thus quicker rewards. Would like to keep it down to no more than $500 per rifle. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I would skip the holosun. They aren't going to be clearing rooms are they? a straight 6 power isn’t a horrible idea but is a lot of magnification for a 50 yard shot. A LPVO sounds ideal for them. You can get Steiner 1-4’s for around $500 I think.

It is hard to resist the Sig Sauer MSR series. Darn good value, and mount is included. 1-6x for under $350 delivered. I might also mention Althlon or Arken, but here, the Sig LPVO offers large eye box, enough power for child, and rugged enough to drop and not worry about it. You can also choose 1-8x or 1-10x.

Sig MSR series

Personally for AR I like the field of view a dot sight gives, a LPVO is definitely beneficial for longer stuff.

Athlon OpticsHelos BTR GEN2 2-12x42 AHMR2 FFP IR MIL #214105​

From camera land would be a good choice. Make sure to call and ask for a better price.
Also some good deals right now on Trijicon Credos at eurooptic. 2.5-10 for $520 if you want the second focal plane.

Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 LPVO is a great all-around AR optic. The SFP version can be had on sale for $299-349. Palmetto State Armory has them on sale for $299 with an AR mount if you use the code “STRIKE” at checkout. 👍🏼

They even offer them in an FFP version now, but it’s $599.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
This package from Cameraland would be good for all you want and in one package for under $500.

I’d be tempted to get 2 or 3 different ones and let the kids and you pick what you like for each . Worst case you don’t like one post it in the PX and get another vs buying 3 of something.

BurrisRT-6 1-6x24mm - Ballistic AR Illuminated

Athlon Helos BTR Gen 2's

Sightron S-TAC

MeoptaMeoSport R 3-15x50 RD SFP-4C

Meopta Optika5

As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to assist in discussing different options and opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few moments
Called and spoke to your brother, you know, the one that gets to work earlier than you. Ordered 2
Of the Burris RT 1x6s. Great guy and you guys are great to do business with. You will be my first stop hence forth. I have a Trijicon MRO I’m gonna mount on the little one’s rifle and see how he likes it. My hunch is he’s gonna be jealous of his older brother and sister’s scopes, Santa is gonna catch hell, and I will be ordering a 3rd one after Christmas. Just a hunch. Merry Christmas

Called and spoke to your brother, you know, the one that gets to work earlier than you. Ordered 2
Of the Burris RT 1x6s. Great guy and you guys are great to do business with. You will be my first stop hence forth. Merry Christmas
For the record, he was here earlier than me cause I was at my tackle shop. I go there first every morning, before coming in here, to get that shop ready to open up each day. Neither one of us knows the meaning of sleeping in, although I've heard it can be nice lol

Thanks for the support and Merry Christmas to you as well.

• Haha
Reactions: adavis1138
Of the Burris RT 1x6s. Great guy and you guys are great to do business with. You will be my first stop hence forth. I have a Trijicon MRO I’m gonna mount on the little one’s rifle and see how he likes it. My hunch is he’s gonna be jealous of his older brother and sister’s scopes, Santa is gonna catch hell, and I will be ordering a 3rd one after Christmas. Just a hunch. Merry Christmas

My RT 6 has treated me really well. Hopefully your kiddos will equally as happy.

t

Reactions: SemperFiDawg