• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommendations on replacing the stock on a Savage 11 Hog Hunter.

libertyman777

Are you gonna eat that....
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2007
Heflin, Alabama
Bought the rifle a few years back. It's a hunting rifle in .308. Loves Hornady 155 over a healthy throw of Varget. Really stupid accurate for a $400 rifle. Right now it's still in the factory stock. Although the rifle hasn't moved in the stock, I would like something a bit more ergonomic that is not not as flimsy and won't break the bank.

First off, I don't mind staying with the internal box magazine. We've never even needed a followup shot to date but it's nice to have. If I need a few more rounds, I can keep them in my stock pad and load them as needed.

Now having said that, I do happen to have an Accurate Mag in .308 that I understand is an AICS pattern. So I guess with the right system, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Weight is not a major concern. We hunt from shooting houses and stands. 500 yard walk at the very most.

Looks like it is center feed with 4.4" spacing.

Right now, I"m running a somewhat built up stock pad and it's okay.

I'm thinking about looking for a used Accustock and maybe just staying with my stock pad.

Used BVSS laminate stocks. A take off FT/R or Palma stock if the price was right.

I've also considered the BC, Hogue and Choate stocks.

Anything else would probably have to be a used chassis system where someone either wasn't happy or wanted to upgrade.

The only thing I'm not interested in are the thumbhole laminates from Boyds, etc.

I'm not in any hurry and am fully prepared to hunt this season as is. I just would like ideas on what you prefer and what you were looking for in a stock. Or what you've tried and didn't like.

Thanks,

Paul

Reactions: newcanoe
Do you want more of a target/precision rifle stock or leaning towards a more traditional sporter?

I really like the BVSS stock. If you could find one cheap, I'd snag it, bed it and roll on. I was in a similar situation as you not too long ago, I finally decided on a XLR Element. It's a pretty decent Chassis for the money.

t

Have you looked at Boyds Pro Varmint? Decent value.

I had a Manners T4 and loved it. Now I have an AICS 2.0 AT folder chassis......just go chassis and never look back. I LOVE the AI chassis and have zero regrets.

Choate Tactical Savage center feed 4.4" spacing, non-detachable magazine model. I have a pair of near identical stocks on two of my Savage Short action, heavy barrel rifles that do have detachable magazines. It employs an aluminum bedding block. The barrel channel is quite wide, and should accommodate pretty nearly any barrel profile, which could come in handy down the road if a heavier barrel becomes desirable.

Greg

I had my 11 in a choate stock for quite a while.
Decent stock.
Now it’s in a XLR Element.
Wish I would have gone that route in the first place

Last edited:
Choate Tactical Savage center feed 4.4" spacing, non-detachable magazine model. I have a pair of near identical stocks on two of my Savage Short action, heavy barrel rifles that do have detachable magazines. It employs an aluminum bedding block. The barrel channel is quite wide, and should accommodate pretty nearly any barrel profile, which could come in handy down the road if a heavier barrel becomes desirable.

Greg
Here’s my old Choate with PTG bottom metal.
Worked well.

Attachments

• photo73991.jpg
    photo73991.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 79
Here’s my old Choate with PTG bottom metal.
Worked well.

I've considered the Choate also but am probably going with the B&C target/comp (I just prefer tradional stocks to chassis). The Choate had a slightly hollow feel but I didn't mind it. Did you get any weird harmonic vibrations through the gun when shooting? Like Twang or anything? How was the bedding system on the choate?

I had a Manners T4 and loved it. Now I have an AICS 2.0 AT folder chassis......just go chassis and never look back. I LOVE the AI chassis and have zero regrets.

Where are you finding a AI chassis system for the Savage rifles? I've searched high and low and despite murmurs I find online of AI making a chassis system for Savage I can't find them for sale anywhere.

I did find a listing on EuroOptic but it states it was discontinued.

On a YouTube video of a Savage in an AI chassis the owner stated that AI made 50-100 chassis systems but discontinued them after that and they're now incredibly rare. Where did you get yours?

Last edited:
I've considered the Choate also but am probably going with the B&C target/comp (I just prefer tradional stocks to chassis). The Choate had a slightly hollow feel but I didn't mind it. Did you get any weird harmonic vibrations through the gun when shooting? Like Twang or anything? How was the bedding system on the choate?

No harmonics.
V block was quite solid and trouble free.

Where are you finding a AI chassis system for the Savage rifles? I've searched high and low and despite murmurs I find online of AI making a chassis system for Savage I can't find them for sale anywhere.

I did find a listing on EuroOptic but it states it was discontinued.

On a YouTube video of a Savage in an AI chassis the owner stated that AI made 50-100 chassis systems but discontinued them after that and they're now incredibly rare. Where did you get yours?
You occasionally see them around.
Top bolt release only.
I though I saw one recently on the accessories section for sale here.

I got mine from Mile High 2 years ago. After seeing your post I called Mile High to see if they had any of these left and they said "no and they are now discontinued".

Bought the rifle a few years back. It's a hunting rifle in .308. Loves Hornady 155 over a healthy throw of Varget. Really stupid accurate for a $400 rifle. Right now it's still in the factory stock. Although the rifle hasn't moved in the stock, I would like something a bit more ergonomic that is not not as flimsy and won't break the bank.

First off, I don't mind staying with the internal box magazine. We've never even needed a followup shot to date but it's nice to have. If I need a few more rounds, I can keep them in my stock pad and load them as needed.

Now having said that, I do happen to have an Accurate Mag in .308 that I understand is an AICS pattern. So I guess with the right system, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Weight is not a major concern. We hunt from shooting houses and stands. 500 yard walk at the very most.

Looks like it is center feed with 4.4" spacing.

Right now, I"m running a somewhat built up stock pad and it's okay.

I'm thinking about looking for a used Accustock and maybe just staying with my stock pad.

Used BVSS laminate stocks. A take off FT/R or Palma stock if the price was right.

I've also considered the BC, Hogue and Choate stocks.

Anything else would probably have to be a used chassis system where someone either wasn't happy or wanted to upgrade.

The only thing I'm not interested in are the thumbhole laminates from Boyds, etc.

I'm not in any hurry and am fully prepared to hunt this season as is. I just would like ideas on what you prefer and what you were looking for in a stock. Or what you've tried and didn't like.

Thanks,

Paul
Paul,
Can you or anyone reading this tell me if the accustock features a palm swell? I am right handed but considering getting a left hand version, due to 2 finger amputations, necessitating using my pinkie finger as my trigger finger. I also must shoot any handgun left handed. As to long guns, this has had no ill effects on my accuracy, but the bolt can get in the way, so the idea of a left handed bolt gun. However, if there is a left handed palm swell in a left hand stock, it could interfere with my ability to comfortably grip the stock with my right hand. Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim