• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommended 308 Grain?

MrTacticool

Private
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2021
Vancouver, WA
Hello, first time posting on a forum. I'm looking for some advice on the best grain for my rifle that'll give me more constantly. I'm by no means a marksman so if I'm already shooting the proper grain, then I'll know it's just me lol. I have an 18" Ruger American Predator chambered in 308 (1:10"). I have a Silencer I Omega 300 suppressor attached via an ASR mount. I've shot 150 and 165 grain bit seem to not have the most consistent groups. At 100 yards I'm averaging 2-3 inches but I'm still getting random flyers. Is there a better grain bullet that'll help with consistency?

Reactions: OkieJake96
Are you reloading? If not, what ammo are you using? How are you stabilizing the gun while shooting? I’m no expert but Ruger makes a decent rifle, I would think it’s capable of at least 1.5 MOA.

I had the same gun and it was capable of 1 moa or better groups. I only ever shot it in an MDT LSS-XL chassis, though. Before you try lots of diffrent ammo, I suggest checking that the barrel is free floated and that the stock isn’t flexing into contact with the barrel when you set up to shoot, or under the weight of the silencer.

Its not just bullet weight, its the overall package.

The standard for match ammunition is currently 308 Federal Gold Medal Match 175 Grain.
It uses a 175 grain SMK.

If you reload, your goal it to beat its performance.
If you don't reload--that's the first thing to try for good match ammo.

That is not to disparage, other bullets or mfg--hornady, lapua, berger and barnes make fantastic bullets--but brass/powder and loading process also make a difference. But its your "go to" when in doubt--easy to find (barring a pandemic) and a known quantity.

I'd also echo other comments, once you get good match ammo--1MOA is the goal.
Either its the gun
Or you.
Shooting well is hard.

Hunting or target application?

I don't hunt with a 30 cal so I cannot give any answers there, but for my 308 I have recently switched to 169smk from hornady 168hpbt. With the pandemic increasing the price of ball, its not that much more of a jump in cost to the 169s and so far they are working nicely in my older 1:12 barrel.

My response would be on the same lines as BenW and Vargmatll. Check to make sure the barrel is free floated and that everything that is suppose to be tight, is tight. Maybe have a competent gunsmith go through the rifle to make sure everything 'specs' out.

As for the .308, it is probably the most inherently accurate .30 caliber cartridge ever developed according to many reloading manuals. The military loads their M118 White Box(173gr.) and M852 'Mexican Match' (168gr.) to 2,550 fps at 70'+- from the barrel. Those loads were/are suppose to shoot sub MOA and were kind of the de-Facto test round. If a rifle didn't shoot that load especially M852 it was time to check other variables.

The test target I received from Remington with my .308 rifle, that had a 24" barrel, measured .49" Avg. and the load was 37 grains of 3031 behind a 168 grain "Match Bullet" ignited by a Remington 9 1/2 primer.

A suggestion would be to get yourself a reloading press such as an RCBS 'Rockchucker' or the like and start to reload. In my set up I started with RCBS dies then switched to Forester FLS BR dies and never looked back. Not touting one over the other, just do some research and buy what trips your trigger.

I have had twist rates of 1 in 12", 11" and 10" and barrel lengths from 24" to just under 26" and would be hard pressed to say any of them didn't shoot well.

As for bullet weights I have shot a wide range from as light as 130 grain up to and including 200 grain. The 130's were loaded to about 2,800 fps and shot sub MOA groups in the .50" and less range. As for the 200's they were loaded to about 2,200 fps and shot a tad larger than .65" groups.

If you have a Chrome Moly barrel you should get 4,000 rounds through it before you will see a gradual decline in accuracy especially at the 600 yard and beyond ranges. As for SS barrels they usually see a more pronounced drop off in accuracy at around the 5,500 -5,700 mark and that was about the time I would plan to re-barrel my rifle(s).

Keep experimenting and good luck.

Last edited:
My response would be on the same lines as BenW and Vargmatll. Check to make sure the barrel is free floated and that everything that is suppose to be tight, is tight. Maybe have a competent gunsmith go through the rifle to make sure everything 'specs' out.

As for the .308, it is probably the most inherently accurate .30 caliber cartridge ever developed according to many reloading manuals. The military loads their M118 White Box(173gr.) and M852 'Mexican Match' (168gr.) to 2,550 fps at 70'+- from the barrel. Those loads were/are suppose to shoot sub MOA and were kind of the de-Facto test round. If a rifle didn't shoot that load especially M852 it was time to check other variables.

The test target I received from Remington with my .308 rifle, that had a 24" barrel, measured .49" Avg. and the load was 37 grains of 3031 behind a 168 grain "Match Bullet" ignited by a Remington 9 1/2 primer.

A suggestion would be to get yourself a reloading press such as an RCBS 'Rockchucker' or the like and start to reload. In my set up I started with RCBS dies then switched to Forester FLS BR dies and never looked back. Not touting one over the other, just do some research and buy what trips your trigger.

I have had twist rates of 1 in 12", 11" and 10" and barrel lengths from 24" to just under 26" and would be hard pressed to say any of them didn't shoot well.

As for bullet weights I have shot a wide range from as light as 130 grain up to and including 200 grain. The 130's were loaded to about 2,800 fps and shot sub MOA groups in the .50" and less range. As for the 200's they were loaded to about 2,200 fps and shot a tad larger than .65" groups.

If you have a Chrome Moly barrel you should get 4,000 rounds through it before you will see a gradual decline in accuracy especially at the 600 yard and beyond ranges. As for SS barrels they usually see a more pronounced drop off in accuracy at around the 5,500 -5,700 mark and that was about the time I would plan to re-barrel my rifle(s).

Keep experimenting and good luck.
Except the 118 uses 175gr Sierra Match King

In addition to the other suggestions made here, it might be a good idea to shoot it without the suppressor, just to see if your groups improve any (or, get worse!). Just as a trouble-shooting step.

Reactions: BenW
Thank you nn8734 for clarifying my post. My exposure to M118 was several years ago and back then all I ever had experience with was the 173 grain bullet.

In retrospect I guess my post was rather outdate and probably not relevant to this century or millennium.

Last edited:
Hello, first time posting on a forum. I'm looking for some advice on the best grain for my rifle that'll give me more constantly. I'm by no means a marksman so if I'm already shooting the proper grain, then I'll know it's just me lol. I have an 18" Ruger American Predator chambered in 308 (1:10"). I have a Silencer I Omega 300 suppressor attached via an ASR mount. I've shot 150 and 165 grain bit seem to not have the most consistent groups. At 100 yards I'm averaging 2-3 inches but I'm still getting random flyers. Is there a better grain bullet that'll help with consistency?
Buy something that is known match grade ammo, from the weights you mentioned it is clearly hunting ammo. 155 Palma, 168 and 175 SMK (Federal, Black Hills etc.) will give you a well known inherently accurate ammo starting point.

Consider spending a few bucks and becoming a site supporter and review the many videos available here, it is mostly the Indian not the arrow.

Howdy and welcome to the forum!
I personally reload 308 and 30-06 and like various bullet weights for different tasks. I like 220gr SMK and 208gr ELD-M in 30-06 for long range smack down on targets, 175gr SMK for 308 Chris Kyle cosplay loads ;) , 165gr BTSP for 308, and 30-06 hunting loads, and 150gr FMJ for 308 and 30-06 "ball" clones. Now, with your situation, to me it sounds like you are using off the shelf (what little is available lol) hunting ammo? This may be why the group size is not super consistent, but I have used factory Remington and Federal 130/150 grain 270 Winchester ammo in my Mossberg Patriot and it will put them all in the same damn hole! I'd take it to a gunsmith to check headspace and slug the barrel to check for variations in the bore size of the barrel, then find someone ( or yourself, if you want to get into reloading) to make you some ammo that is fit to just before the lands in your gun and then see what it groups. Hope this helps! :)

As mentioned by others, get some 175 grain Federal Gold Medal Match.

If your rifle can't shoot sub MOA with it, then check the rifle, the scope/mounts, the shooter (or all 3) because it ain't the ammo.

After you find and correct your problem(s), then you can begin chasing your tail by hand loading.

Reactions: VargmatII
Have a known good shooter shoot the rifle with FGMM 175 or 168. If it dont shoot I doubt it will magically turn into a sub MOA bullet with any other loads. Not saying it wont get better, but dont expect miracles if FGMM wont shoot.