• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommended action for 338 lapua magnum build

harry_x1

Khalsa
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2019
Hi friends,
I am looking to build a custom rifle chambered in 338 lapua magnum.

Would prefer it to be of a manageable weight so that it is practicle to carry around. Looking for recommendations on which particular action (type and manufacturer) should I go for? Budget is flexible and not much of a constraint. Would rather build something of quality and precision.

thanks for your time and attention !

Harjeet

Reactions: TreyMeTrey
Thanks for the reco...if you can add some more color on why you recommend this option or anything else relevant for the decision, I would be grateful...thanks again
Personal bias. I like Joel. He’s taken good care of me. The actions are phenomenal. Smooth as butta.

Reactions: harry_x1
Hi friends,

Would prefer it to be of a manageable weight so that it is practicle to carry around. Looking for recommendations on which particular action (type and manufacturer) should I go for? Budget is flexible and not much of a constraint. Would rather build something of quality and precision.

Harjeet
I would buy a Borden Bigfoot action, I think. I would have to handle one before purchasing but I wouldn't buy anything else until I got to check out a Bigfoot.

Reactions: harry_x1
I am thinking about the same thing and have kind of settled on the Atlas 338. I like Kelblys, it's a plus sized action built for the 338, has the larger boltbody and I like how they are made.
I can still be swayed. I also like the Tenacity but would kind of like a larger action.

Hi friends,

Harjeet
I like Stiller.I have 4 from 375 Cheytac In a Stiller Tac Driver 1.6 down to a Stiller Scout in Short Action from my 6mmARC. I've n ever had an issue and the shoot great.There are a lot of others .It's a Remington Fooc ytprint and that makes it easier for options..Stocks,Chassis,Rails etc.
Good Luck.

Hi friends,

Harjeet

I have both a Defiance Deviant and a Terminus Zeus with 60 degree throw in 338 variants. Deviant has a 90 degree throw that locks up super smooth and precise like a bank vault. People say that it does not do well in dusty sandy conditions, but that has not been my experience; I live in sandstorm country. The Zeus is slippery smooth and Is easy to one finger operate given 60 degree throw actions have historically been harder to actuate as compared to 90 degree throw actions. Both actions allow for use of the longer CIP AI-type (3.850") magazines without any issue for chassis that support their use. Defiance has recently changed ownership so not sure what people's latest customer experience is. Terminus actions have fantastic customer support with owner Joel Russo.

I am curious though about the Stiller TAC 338 with their beefier breech end, but after they got bought out by Horizon Firearms in Dec 2021, I have not heard any feedback from anyone with their post-buyout actions. People seem to like them, but I see others unloading them new in the box; so it makes me wonder if it Is a function issue or the fact you need a chassis specifically built for it, as it has a longer footprint (9.165") than a standard long action Remington (7.350").

Last edited:
I have both a Defiance Deviant and a Terminus Zeus with 60 degree throw in 338 variants. Deviant has a 90 degree throw that locks up super smooth and precise like a bank vault. People say that it does not do well in dusty sandy conditions, but that has not been my experience; I live in sandstorm country. The Zeus is slippery smooth and Is easy to one finger operate given 60 degree throw actions have historically been harder to actuate as compared to 90 degree throw actions. Both actions allow for use of the longer CIP AI-type (3.850") magazines without any issue for chassis that support their use. Defiance has recently changed ownership so not sure what people's latest customer experience is. Terminus actions have fantastic customer support with owner Joel Russo.

I am curious though about the Stiller TAC 338 with their beefier breech end, but after they got bought out by Horizon Firearms in Dec 2021, I have not heard any feedback from anyone with their post-buyout actions. People seem to like them, but I see others unloading them new in the box; so it makes me wonder if it Is a function issue or the fact you need a chassis specifically built for it, as it has a longer footprint (9.165") than a standard long action Remington (7.