• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Recommended bullet for Newbie with 308?

Sudden Impact

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2012
I just purchased a Remington 700 ADL Varmit rifle in .308 caliber with a 26"/1:12 twist barrel. My hope is to learn to adjust a scope to become efficient for varying distances. I'm still trying to learn the basics of scope adjustments. I currently haven't purchased a high quality scope yet due to limited funds. All that said, can anyone recommend a good bullet wieght to start with? I am leaning towards 168gr. SMK or A-Max but would appreciate any recommendations to get me started. I want to use this rifle to learn with and hope to eventually move up to a .300 Win. Mag. but funds aren't there yet. I wanted to do something now to get started. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I realize this question has probably been aasked till veterans of long distance shooting are sick of it but I don't know where else to turn for help getting started. I guess I bought what I can currently afford but I'd rather start somewhere than do nothing at all. I also think if I can learn to shoot well with this rifle I will be able to do better when I can afford a better rifle. Thanks to all. SI

Re: Recommended bullet for Newbie with 308?

I started out with that rifle also. First thing I did was put a millett scope on and then I waited on my manners stock to come in. the factory stock sucks so definately upgraded asap. Also I shot the fggm 168 smk bullets and had great results Under 500 yds. Now I shoot southwest 155 scenars. They have outstanding results at 1000 yds

168s are fine bullets to 600 but IMHO there is nothing they will do that a 175smk or 178 A Max won't do as well or better. Past 600 its a no brainer.

Okie

Don't get 168s. I have seen too many new guys go to a long range clinic with 168 grain handloads and end up disappointed once they get out to 800 or so. This especially happens to guys who make up a light load that shoots 'great' @ 100.

Go with the 175s I linked in an earlier post. Hopefully by the time the OP reads it there will still be some left.

I'd say stick with the 168SMK out to 800 yards FWIW, maybe step up to a 175/178gr if going past that.

i have a box of Sellier&Bellot 180gr .308 i'm dying to shoot at distance, just because i got them free!

The 175 SMK is the way to go. I am also a big fan of the 155 scenar.

I would recommend the South West Ammo 155 grain scenar load. They are a touch over a $1 a round. Thats pretty decent pricing. And its a really nice bullet. I run them all the time in my 308 and they work really well out to about 900 yards. After that, its just guessing for me.

Start with 175 SMK's. I don't see ANY reason to shoot the 168 SMK's IF you have 175's available. The reason I suggest the 175's is they are VERY easy to load for. Besides that; Sierra 155 Palma MatchKing, Lapua 155 Scenar, Hornady 178 BTHP, and *Hornady 208 AMAX*

*May not stabilize in your barrel (try them and see for yourself) but they are GREAT bullets IF you can find them*

For simplicity's sake, go with the 175's. They won't let you down. And if you aren't reloading your own ammo, I suggest you take a long hard look at SouthWest Ammo's line of 308 ammo. You will not be disappointed. Very reasonable cost and great quality ammo from Mike!!!

I agree that, for the price, Nosler custom comps are a great bullet. Under 500 yards, I have used 168gr with excellent success. I use 155gr and 168gr Nosler CCs regularly. I have also had good success with Hornady A-Max and Match HPBT bullets and have had excellent results with SMKs.

FH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: targaflorio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you asking about bullets to handload or loaded ammunition?

targaflorio, I am wanting to handload. I like the idea of inspecting each component as I load them. Thanks for asking since it helps clarify my question. </div></div>

BCP, thanks for the link...I ordered 5/100 rd packs. (Go big or go home, right?)

Thanks to everyone for their input. I hope to load these as soon as I recieve them and will be posting a follow-up on my results.

Nice to have a community to go to for help with lots of experience to learn from.

Thanks again! SI

175 smk. Shoot the barrel out change to 11.25 twist then change to the 155s.

178 amax's. Cheaper than 168/175 smk's and they will get the job done.