• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommended Powder & Bullet for Long Range .308

killerwaffles

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2012
Houston, Texas
I am testing out powder and bullets to get pretty good shots out to 800-1000 yards with my 308 and i was wondering if anyone had any experience/ preference with bullet weight/ brand or powder. I have a 20" barrel and i am looking for an optimal powder burn rate for my barrel. Its a M700 5R in case you were wondering. What do you recommend?

Re: Recommended Powder & Bullet for Long Range .308

Killer for a powder varget is a solid choice with the 308. As far as bullet choice 175 bthp sierra would be on the list for sure. This isn't the only bullet choice but will do what you are lookin for.

Do you know what the BC is for that bullet? I cant seem to find much over .507

Also, how much powder are you using?

You will need to test what your rifle likes to answer that. The bc on the sierra is closer to .495ish. There are many using 44.5gr of varget with a col(cartridge overall length) of 2.800. That being said I would strongly suggest working upto that charge. There are other bullets in this weight range with better bc. The hornady as well as the bergers. I don't have any experience with the hornadys. The bergers usually don't like to jump to the lands. I have found in my area the sierras are easy to find.

Oh ok great thanks, i am pretty much just looking for a starting off point. I was shooting 155gr A-max with about 45gr with IMR 4320 and was being affected by wind too much. I thought 180gr would have more of a drop. The 155gr is more flat than 180gr but is affected by wind too much. I have never tried bergers but i hear good things. Thanks

Sierra 175 or Hornady 178. I've messed around with 208amax but not enough to say that they work well at least for me.

If 4320 powder is working for you then keep at it otherwise varget is the most common one I see at comps. Walking down the line damn near every ammo box says "Varget" on it somewhere.

varget and either a 175 SMK or a 178 Amax this combo has worked really well for me up to a 1000yds the last couple of years.

I cut my 700P to 20" and use Varget with the 175 Sierra SMK. Somewhere around 45 gr is usually the solution. Work around there and you can find your sweet spot.

Yea that seems to be what everyone prefers. I will try that and see how it works. attherange, how much powder do you use for your 100 yard shots? I think i will try 45gr and see how well it shoots. What is the max powder weight for varget?

My rem 5r absolutly loves this load. I expect some .3's at 100 yds, the last 90 rds shot at 100 avg is .447 moa. maintains moa to at least 600yrds
175smk
42.4 H4895
win fl brass
br2 primers

never got varget to shoot right

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killerwaffles</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> how much powder do you use for your 100 yard shots? </div></div>
It is not a common reloading practice to change charge weights based on distance. You find a load that shoots well in the weapon and use it at all ranges.

oh i meant to write for 1000 yards. I didnt know if some people might use a hotter load for a faster bullet to reach out to 1000 yards.

Varget powder and the 185gr Berger LRBT. I load 45gr in Lapua brass Wolf LRM primer, bullets are moly coated and it still cracks really loud on the 1000yd line and thumps the berms fairly hard.

Had an 18.5" APA and a 20" AI AE MK II. I tried Varget with 175 and 190 gr SMK. I was never able to find a speed/accuracy combo with either that suited me for 1,000 yards. I think, when you put numbers up on a ballistic calculator, you'll see it's a pretty tall order to stay above trans-sonic velocity with a short barrel 308.

Killer Waffles,

The powder that will give you the fastest velocity for any given bullet weight is Alliant 2000MR or Hodgon CFE223.

You also wanna run the highest BC bullet at the fastest velocity you can start them. You basically have three choices as I see it; Lapua's 155 Scenars (.505 G1 BC), 178 Hornady's HPBT (.530 G1 BC) or Berger's new 168 HPBT (.518 G1 BC).

Of the three bullets, the Hornady is the cheapest at $22/100 box, the Lapua is about $45/100box at midway, and i have no information on Brian Litz's new bullet. However, nothing with the name Berger on it is reasonably priced (IMHO).

At the end of the day however, you still need to figure out what your rifle likes.

I have never heard of Alliant 2000MR but i will do some research and see what i come up with. Would you happen to know the burn rate for this powder in comparison to Varget?

I have been looking around to find a good BC for diiferent types of bullets but besides Midway, i cant find a centralized database for types of bullets with BC info to compare. The best BC i have found was about .507

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Heman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Varget powder and the 185gr Berger LRBT. I load 45gr in Lapua brass Wolf LRM primer, bullets are moly coated and it still cracks really loud on the 1000yd line and thumps the berms fairly hard. </div></div>

How consistent is your shot group with this load?

I am getting better results with 155 Scenar's, 46.4grs Varget & Fed 210M primers at 1,000 yards with my .308. This load shot so well that I have not tested either the 175 SMK's or the 208 AMAX's yet.

I too have a 20" barrel and the 178 AMAX works well for me. 1:10 twist.
I also run 208 AMAX, 168 Sierras, and 185 Lapuas.....but I shoot more of the 178s than anything.

Alliant's Power Pro 2000 MR is my powder of choice for all things .308. My barrel has a 1:10 twist and I shoot the Amax 208s and Lapua 155 Scenars. Both of these bullets have form factors below 1.0 and are very efficient in terms of drag.

Killerwaffles,

Out outside of the manufacturer's websites, midwayusa has the most comprehensive information on bullets wrt weight, bc, etc.

Alliant 2000MR will yield velocities up to 100fps faster with most 308 loads.

Go to Hodgon's website, they have a powder burn rate chart that will help you evaluate the relative burn rates of different powders.

Btw, 2000MR is rated just below BLC-2.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justinbaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Varget and hornady 178 bthp </div></div>

Good choice. The 178 BTHP has a BC of .530. I have shot it to 800 yards so far and it's very accurate and the BC holds true to advertised.

Varget minimum charge with the 175/178 is 42grns and maximum charge of 45grns per Hodgdon's website.

Was at the range today and 47.5 grains of the new Hodgon CFE 223 and 175 smk's gave me sub .5" and 2700+ fps out of my rem.5r. Looks promising.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Superjet06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My rem 5r absolutly loves this load. I expect some .3's at 100 yds, the last 90 rds shot at 100 avg is .447 moa. maintains moa to at least 600yrds
175smk
42.4 H4895
win fl brass
br2 primers

never got varget to shoot right </div></div>+ 1 On the H4895, Goes good from 39.5 to 42.6 but be sure to work up for your gun. 175 SMK's shoot good and are fairly easy to get. Bergers shoot real good too.

MontanaMarine's 208/225 recipes, hands down.

OK, so before I even ask this I know that I have to "work up for my rifle" but you guys using this 2000MR, and 178 AMAX what are your max loads? Im shooting a 700P. I tried the 208's as my 300WM loves them but the 700P has a 1 in 12 twist and i just could not settle them down. The 178's shoot well but I dont want to fight the R17 and temp swings any more. thanks

Killerwaffles,
I share your quest for the best long-range load for (my) Rem 700SS 5-R Milspec barrel. I just fired the first rounds of handloads. I had no idea where to begin, but after a little research I found that VARGET and 175gr. SIERRA MK HPBT are a popular combo for this 5-R barrel, so I started there.
I did 7 loads, ranging from 42gr.up to 45gr. (1/2 grain increments). FEDERAL GM brass (turned necks), and FEDERAL GM210M primers. Bullets were seated at 2.8 OAL. Fired 3 round groups of each weight at 200 yard range.
The best grouping was 43grains, coming in at .266 MOA. The next best grouping was from 42.5grains at .364 MOA.
Now, what surprised me in this exercise (but, I am new at this)is that the other 5 loads all came in at about 1 MOA.
I do need to shoot these same loads again for confirmation of consistancy, but I am very encouraged.
...Hope this info is helpful.

I appreciate everyones help. I am going to try to see what my gun prefers. I will also try the different powder and see how they compare. I reloaded some Berger bullets this weekend and noticed the tip would sometimes get deformed or a little smashed. Would that significantly change the BC and increase the bullets drag? How will i be able to fix this issue so the hollow point doesnt get damaged?

You can use a Meplat trimmer and uniform them up. I have not done this and am told unless you are shooting past 600 it doesn't help. I like to keep everything uniform though.

42.6 grns. of h 4895 behind 175 grn. berger or 175 smk. both under 1/4 moa 100 yds. from Gap crusader now a 7 wsm crusader.

Just repeating, but Varget, 4895 and Reloader15 are all good, proven powders for heavier 308 loads. 2000 is newer and seems to be gaining traction, but I cannot speak to it.

Also, don't forget to measure your chamber, know your distance to lands and as others have said, start low and work up. Look for pressure signs and take your time. Once you find your load, all the work will be worth it.

I currently run the following in my Savage 10FP:

Hornady 178gr A-Max (trying the BTHP next)
Mil brass
2.835 COAL
Federal GMM primers
44.2gr Reloader-15
No crimp

It is spot on with the ballistics calculations, handle temperature changes well and shows no pressure signs in MY rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brichardson82</div><div class="ubbcode-body">42.6 grns. of h 4895 behind 175 grn. berger or 175 smk. both under 1/4 moa 100 yds. from Gap crusader now a 7 wsm crusader. </div></div>Same load I shoot and it shoots real good at 1000 too. Federal Match Primers. SMK. Seated .003 off lands. Rem 700,built by A.P.A. 26" Broughton. .308 Winchester.

H4895- 43.0 gr ( be careful, this is 0.3 gr over published max, but my rifle likes it, work up your own load. I do not endorse going over published maximum loads)

Sierra 175 MK seated .030 off the lands

Out of my 20" barrel velocity is 2620fps.
Stays supersonic to 1200 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">varget and either a 175 SMK or a 178 Amax this combo has worked really well for me up to a 1000yds the last couple of years. </div></div>

I have the same Rem700 5R. The AMAX might not fit in the mag. But it shoots great.
IMR 4064 s another one.