• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommended prep for first PRS match.

I have recently went to my first two matches and I ran one about 3 years ago. I shoot a lot hunting ground hogs and at different long ranges. Basic information I would give to someone before running a match.

1. Have a sub moa gun, and know all the data out to 1k in at least 25y increments. By a ballistic app or a kestrel. Make damn sure your gun does not have feeding issues. Load your mags full and run them to make sure of this.

Have the attitude to get better each time and understand your going to get your ass kicked the first couple you do,

Most ranges that have matches will have an open range, practice days. Go there tell shooters you are new. (personal experience) most will help you. They will let you try out their bags or give you some advice. Take it all in and thank them. Before you go spending money on equipment see if you can try it first and if you like it.

When buying equipment, spend money on quality equipment. Do not go buy everything cheap just to up grade and up grade. Buy a piece and get good with it.

One of the top 5 shooters in PRS shot in a very small match the other day, and I was in his group. I was having trouble locating targets fast. Hitting not a problem I was waisting a lot of time locating. His advice was to put or find some very small objects at 100-200 yards. While looking over the scope line it up with the object and then slide your eyes down in the scope and your should be on the target and or very close. He said just like dry firing, muscle memory is important with location as well. He said to have 3-5 of these objects and go from one to the other. Just like shooting a pistol, first couple times you drew your pistol and aimed it took you a while to locate the target and line up your sights. You can probably fly with a pistol now, locating a target and your sites. This takes practice practice practice.

Just have fun.

....more stages get bombed shooting targets out of order, wrong dope on the rifle, missing a few then getting flustered and rushing shots, not dialing back to zero, e.g. silly stuff.
Me me me me me! All of the above except getting flustered after misses and then rushing. At age 67, "rushing" is very relative anyway....

...watching wing flags and waiting to shoot a condition on a square range...
I do that too. Biggest gripe I've had doing that is when one of the wind flags fell and messed up my score. :mad:

I think a lot of people have hit it already, but having a positive attitude is really important. The other thing for me was positional shooting UNDER TIME. For some reason, I was really concerned with the basic marksmanship of the match - in other words, being accurate enough. I was surprised to find my accuracy was not a problem at all. There wasn't a shot I couldn't make all day long. I had good dope and practiced positions. What I failed to do is practice any of that under a clock. When the rubber hit the road, I failed to even take about 40% of the shots because I couldn't get into position and acquire a sight picture fast enough to even squeeze the trigger. It was laughable at points (that's where the good mental attitude came in!). It dawned on me that I would have been much, much better off if I spent a few hours dry firing on the clock with a timer. Getting into position, getting a site picture, squeezing the trigger, move positions, repeat, etc. That would have been the single biggest improvement I could have made.

My first match was late last year, and with all the covid stuff I haven't been able to shoot one since, but I am practicing changing positions, albeit in the house until the range opens back up.

Waste of time. Show up ready to go.

Whatever you will learn by watching, you will learn tenfold by doing.

Agreed. I’ve seen probably 10-15 people show up to watch/check out a match. Every single one of them said “I wish I’d have brought my rifle and shot at least a few stages.”

No one will care if you shoot one or all the stages. They won’t care how high or low your score is. Even regular shooters don’t finish a match for a plethora of reasons.

Take your rifle and shoot at least a few stages. If you want to convert to a spectator after, go for it. Better to be shooting and decide to be a spectator rather than be a spectator wishing you were a shooter.

Oh crap, I'm screwed. I can't beard for the life of me
No worries, me either, I just picked up a tactical beard for my first PRS match for less than $15! :LOL:

1708456143434.png