• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Recommended qd lever mount

eric.s

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2013
Hi,

I have a bit of a dilemma with deciding on what to do here...My situation is I just finished my mega arms maten build and currently optic-less with it. I have a custom 700 build with a bushnell ers 3.5-21x50 scope mounted using badger rings and 20moa base. Basically I am undecided on weather I should just find a solid qd lever mount that I can just swap my ers on both my 700 and maten or just save the coin for another optic and set of rings for the maten (which would be wayyy down the road). If I can find a qd mount that would work well with both i.e 0moa solid levers and rings, able to fit on ar rail and not be to far forward on the 700 base, clear my troy buis and still be able to use BC caps on 50mm objective lens for ar, etc, then I would prefer that. As far as height, I was initially looking for something as low as possible but after doing more research and thinking about it more, I think 1.5'' is probably my best best because it will clear my buis and I can still use the BC caps; I have an adjustable cheek rest for the 700, so that's not an issue. From what I've been seeing GDI looks like the best option, I can't find the scope height though and its pricey, which I am willing to pay if its really worth it(assuming its 1.5, to accommodate NV), bobro, or Alamo Four Star. Any others? I've heard a lot of complaints about Larue's vertical clamps screws can getting lose, on top of the fact that there less surface area then the others I mentioned.

I've heard that it is not recommended that I use a qd lever mount for a precision bolt action, that is why I am looking at the higher quality mounts. Basically what I am asking is, do any of you guys swap the mentioned mounts above on your gas and bolt guns? Or do you think I should just keep the ers in the badger rings for the 700 and save money for an optic and rings specific for the maten? I won't have the coin for a quality optic and rings for the maten for awhile that is why I would prefer to get a solid qd lever mount that would work with both. Thanks in advance!

Eric,

My recommendation is to ask you: do you see a need for a qd lever? An actual need where
You will swap scopes, etc?

IMO, qd is more for if you have One scope and are switching in between rifles (ie you can afford one s&b 3-27 but you have 3 rifles).
You are still going to confirm zero either way. The qd gives
You the convenience of switching and keeping same torque with a whole less hassle.

For height issue, there is a significant difference with height on an ar and bolt gun. If you want to make it work for a qd, I think changing stock weld by adding to or taking away or adjustable would be better. You don't want to compromise steady position for convenience.

The qd on bolt gun not recommended is for people to not change up anything as far as poa/poi. Some argue that there is no change some argue there is. I've seen both supported by renowned shooters. So it'll be up to you for testing and repeatability and how you put it on each time (forward pressure) .

IMO if you don't have a need or plan on getting optics for your other build then stay with fixed rings. No need to change really.

To give you an example with me, I have an ar for cqb/mid range and I have a bolt gun for my distance. Two different roles so two different optic needs even though I can put my bolt optic onto my ar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only have the one optic as of now and probably for awhile, so if there is something that would work well with both a gas and bolt gun I would prefer that over waiting for glass for the maten. I understand that there will be differences in zeroes for both platforms.. The main reason for the qd lever would be to just easily swap it on both rifles without having to torque it down each time. As of now my badger rings are too low for the ar rail or else I would probably just swap it when I wanted too but since I would need new rings to run it on both I minus well go with qd lever and not have to torque it down each time I swap. Thanks for the recommendation and your input though GhengisAhn175

Last edited:
Put a Badger 22 MOA riser on the AR.

Oh wow, I have no idea why that didn't cross my mind. Thanks a lot Rob01! I probably just do that and get a in-lb torque wrench set like the borka set. And just swap and confirm zero everytime till I get dedicated glass for the maten.

No problem. It's not too bad swapping until you can get another scope. Keep a log book and it will be easier to keep track of the scope knob adjustments you need to make from rifle to rifle.

rlkn68.jpg

50.00 Just sayin...