• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Recommended scope for 17hmr???

deeno360

Private
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2010
PA
Hey guys, wondering what your suggestions were for a mid range ( price wise )scope for a 17hmr CZ 452? Thanks for your help!

Re: Recommended scope for 17hmr???

I know these are not what you would consider mid range but I just bought these 2 scope one for my 10/22 and the other for my savage 17hmr Nikon prostaff 3-9x40 $169 at walmart great scope so far, the other is a tasco 6-24x42 Target/Varmint for $99 at a local gun store and is also working good for me as well. Both scope have gotten lots of good reviews if you do some research on them online.

A Burris compact 4x-12x EFR, AO, R/A (rimfire/airgun) scope is what I run on my Remington model 591 5mm Remington magnum and I love it It runs about $365 NIB. Don't know if you consider that mid range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What will you be using the rifle for? </div></div>
mostly a varmint / pest deterrent...

ive got a simmons .44 mag 6.5-20x44. its a great scope for about 150. nice image and all. its has a paralax adjustemt from 30ft to 300 yards then infinite.

Bushnell scopes work well, are cheap and seem to have good quality control from the factory

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bushnell scopes work well, are cheap and seem to have good quality control from the factory </div></div>

+1

Take a look at the Bushnell Elite 3200 line of scopes.

I originally put a Leupold, 4.5-14 on my .17 HMR because I had it laying around, and I thought it worked well for shooting between 75-150 yards, but, for close shooting, it was blurry because the parellex couldn't be set down far enough, and I also wanted more magnifacation for the longer shots, so I picked up a cheap, Tasco, 6-24, and even though it is not nearly as bright as the Leupold, I can dial the parellex down for close shots, and the extra magnifacation helps with the longer shots.

FYI-I have other rifles that wear 6-20 Leupolds, and Burris 2-24, but, can't turn the parellex down far enough on them for close shots. I don't think I've ever tried to turn tha parellex down for a close shot with my IOR scope.

I have a 5-15x50 Bushnell Elite 3200 with illuminated retical and a thread on rain gaurd, and I think it's the best and most clear scope I've ever had.

I have 3 of the Marlin 917V and one 917VS in 17HMR. On three of the rifles, I mounted BSA Sweet 17 scopes in various magnification. One has a Tasco 3-9x variable.

Heard a lot of flack about the Sweet 17 scopes and can shed some light on that. The idea of the Sweet 17 scope is to sight in at 50 yards then simply turn the top knob to 100 yards or to 200 yards and have elevation correct for that range. THAT SIMPLY WON'T HAPPEN! That problem gives the BSA scopes a bad reputation.

As a calibration tech, I am used to working with instruments that don't appear to be reading correctly. It is common practice to make a correction chart to fix that.

I sighted in at 50 yards then turned to the setting that actually zeroed at 100 and 200 yards. I recorded those ACTUAL dial positions the scope showed at each range and those numbers are perfectly repeatable! Problem solved!

Sure, the scope setting may be 150 when shooting at 100 yards or 225 when shooting at 200 but it still works very well!

Knowing the shortcomings of the BSA scopes and making correction charts to overcome them, I can recommend the scopes as good values for the money!

Flash

I have a mueller apv on mine that was 115 but the apt would work too, just a bigger 30mm tube and exposed turrets.