• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Recommended scope options to get the most out of my simrad

knuckleballz

Elk Hunter
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2013
I have been looking at the leupold MK 5HD 3.6x18. I want an optic with great performing glass, light weight, and first focal plane that i can use reticle to hold over at night, or dial with a zero stop. I dont want to limit myself to a 10 power because I want more magnification for daytime use. What do you experienced simrad users recommend? I have the 253.

I've mostly used mk6 3-18x T3 ... with 253 ... but very similar to the mk5 referenced above .

39856902023_a1406d9e7c_k.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 203 and with a good illuminator, I have gone up to 16x with no issue. Definitely don’t limit yourself to a real low power scope just because of night hunting. The Mk6 3-18 would be a really good choice.
5DC7FE79-D301-4294-A959-0EFD52D4BD9F.jpeg

i have used mine on a few setups and have settled on a 3-15. Any less and you get tunneling, any more it gets grainy. It is the optimal mag range for a simrad imo. good luck and happy night ops!

i have used mine on a few setups and have settled on a 3-15. Any less and you get tunneling, any more it gets grainy. It is the optimal mag range for a simrad imo. good luck and happy night ops!

I have come to the exact same conclusion w/ my 203. Most of my magnified optics are 2.5-10, but the 3-15 scopes I have really are the best I've used with it so far (PST Gen 2 3-15x44 FFP). Those 3-15s are absolutely incredible from a clarity and bang for buck standpoint. After comparing one to a Razor Gen 2 4.5-27 at the 1000 yd range same day/conditions, I will gladly save the extra 20 ounces of weight and stick w/ the 3-15 PST. Great in daytime, great in lowlight, great w/ NV, if only they had locking turrets...

Been really happy with my Steiner m5xi3-15 paired with the kn203.

That 3.6-18 Mark 5 with a Simrad is an excellent choice. No issues with length or anything on the Simrad with either style mount. Just make sure you get a Spuhr mount as you probably already know, Badger has no ring cap options for 35mm.

That 3.6-18 Mark 5 with a Simrad is an excellent choice. No issues with length or anything on the Simrad with either style mount. Just make sure you get a Spuhr mount as you probably already know, Badger has no ring cap options for 35mm.
Can I use a non illuminated reticle scope under the SIMRAD?

Thanks