• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Recommended tool for general torquing of scope/rifle?

slate84

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2010
Brookings SD
What tool is everyone using for torquing down scope mount bolts, ring nuts, bases, and also is there a cannidate that gives enough range for stock bolts as well?

Also a base guide to what everything should be torqued to if it is a general rate. I have a bell and carlson medalist stock with the full length bed and have never been sure what is the correct torque value.

that borka tool looks neat, i wish it wasn't twice the price of the wheeler. would you say its worth the extra price?

Yes...the borka comes in a great kit in a nylon pouch with everything you would need for general field maintenance and then some. I use that thing all the time for one thing or another.

The Borkas look pretty nice- never tried one- but my Wheeler Fat Wrench gets the job done pretty nicely as well.

I have a wheeler now as soon as I save up the money I will be ordering a borka with the full accessory kit. The wheeler will work for basic scope mounting but the borka will do all your action screws etc as well. Plus the borka is set up to easily toss in your range bag or even a stock pack if you really wanted to. Overall I have been relatively happy with the wheeler but it doesnt really give me much of a warm and fuzzy just based on its general construction and such.

Take it from everyone else. Borka is definitely the way to go. Neat, compact and everything you need in one simple package. Don't have any experience with a Wheeler and being that I love the Borka so much I reckon I won't be either.

You want the Borka. I finally got mine after years of looking at one and settling for inferior tools like the inch pound screwdriver from Northern Tool. I believe you get what you pay for so I try to buy once and cry once.

I like the Borka - it works well and is compact enough to easily throw in the range bag.

Been thinking I need something other than the Wheeler I have. Looks like I'm gonna get the field kit. Thanks for the reviews.

I vote Borka since alls I have is a wheeler and it's not the best tool for the job mostly because my 1/4 drive socket falls off the end of the tool the detent ball sucks. Yes I called to get it replaced only to get blown off by customer service.

Last edited:
Another vote for Borka. The proprietor is a good guy, to boot.

Agreed!
Borka is the only way to go....I carry mine during matches and rent it out to desperate friends for powder!
I bought my kit from Boris at SHOT-He went out of his way for me!

ok, looks like i know where my next fun money is going to. superised that something so popular i've never heard of? any idea on the actual torque values or where to start looking for them?

And made in Mi ?

Torque driver is nearly 100% made in Michigan:

stainless steel driver arms were laser cut by Matrix Metalcraft (Clinton Township, MI), then laser marked by Extreme Precision Screw Products (Flint, MI), other parts were machined by Hobson Manufacturing (Atlas,MI), springs were made by Rockford Spring Co (Rockford, IL), hex holes broaching, assembly and calibration are performed by Borka Tools (Farmington Hills and Vassar, MI), fasteners and other small parts are from McMaster Carr. Quick release bit holder (driver spindle) is imported from Taiwan, because nobody in the U.S. seems to make one anymore... Pouches are supplied by TAB GEAR. And by the way, user guides were printed by one of the SH members, who is also happened to be my customer - Goellner Printing, Inc.(St. Charles, MO).

Last edited:
Get a Borka. Stop looking anywhere else. :)

Outstanding piece of gear. Mine is the TAB pouch version, and it lives in my range bag. I've used it for every scope tweak and stock swap I've ever done since I got it. Love it. Might get another one just so I don't have to keep raiding my range bag...

It's made in the USA.
And yes, Boris is a great guy to deal with, too.

'Nuff said.

+1 for Borka. Keep in mind it's so much more than a torque wrench. Every range trip someone asks me to borrow it to tighten/loosen/screw something.

Have an adjustable bit driver at work and picked up a fat wrench for general rifle work and finally evolved to using the Borka and will never look back!

I'm going to order one from a vender on here but I need another ACIS mag to share the ride. Mile high is out of the one I wanted .

So I know it's already been posted about 100 times in here, but I also use a Borka. I absolutely love it. After using it, there is no way you will ever want to use a Wheeler Fat Wrench. I hated to pay the price of the Borka when I ordered it, but I decided to go ahead and order it and forget about the price. Once I got it and used it a few times I realized it was well worth the price.

Damn, now I feel even better about buying a couple of these. Thanks for posting that!

Thank you.

I think it's important for customers to know who is doing what.

I was born and raised in the USSR, and I can tell you the difference between the production capacity of the USSR and modern Russia. In short, Russia lost so much production capacity in the last 20 years by replacing it with imports, it's not even funny. We should do everything possible to preserve U.S. capability to manufacture industrial products, and not to import them, otherwise, this country is screwed, strategically speaking. Some stuff is already can not be found as U.S domestic product, for example, quick release bit holders of sufficient sophistication and quality, so I got to import them. Same applies to a lot of other products, unfortunately. But I got to try whatever I can do, with consideration the acceptable price levels. A lot of things can still be made in the U.S. at reasonable prices, and at least one of the several major benefits I see using local suppliers in MI is that I have an option of meeting with these guys in person and address/resolve all manufacturing issues in a fast and effective manner. So far, it works all right.

Boris

Slate 84 - Regarding base guides to what everything should be torqued to, I'd recommend consulting with the original manufacturers instruction manuals. The Badger and Spuhr manuals include this information, I can't speak for Bell and Carlson. You may want to download a Newton Meter to Inch Pounds conversion chart as well.

I support and recommend Boris and Borka Tools too. I use the MG9 kit, as well as the PTL-065-IP, both are excellent tools. I don't leave for the range without them. It is nice to be able to assist someone that forgot to tighten their mounts correctly. You can tell Boris' commitment to quality based upon his packaging alone. I wish I had an MG9 20 years ago.

By the way, my opinions are biased since I print Boris' manuals. Everyone needs to buy another tool from Boris today so he has to place another order soon.

Boris, Your previous post makes a ton of sense. I'm glad that you brought your knowledge and product to America.

thank you guys for all of the insight. i'm excited for it to actually get nice enough (and for my scope to get here) to go shoot.

What tool is everyone using for torquing down scope mount bolts, ring nuts, bases, and also is there a cannidate that gives enough range for stock bolts as well?

I use a Wheeler FAT wrench. I have used Leupy bases and rings, both STD and dual dovetail models. Leupold gives torque specs for all screws on the package. I used 60 inch-pounds for my action screws in setting up my medalist stocks, though I glass bedded the actions in each.

FH