• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Recontour barrel

ForeverZ01

Hunter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Louisiana
If I have a M24 contour barrel and want to take it down to say a sendero or heavy sporter what would be the affect on accuracy.

Who made the barrel? Cut or button? I suggest you contact the manufacturer and ask them. Iirc, Kreiger would only recontour down one size or two and when I did so it was a blank not a finished barrel.

Ive had barrels recontoured, and always send them to the maker for the work. Usually about $50 plus shipping. Never done that for a finished barrel though.

It shouldn't be a problem unless it has button rifling which creates stress in the metal. Bartlein does cut rifling.

I've recontoured barrels before with no effect on accuracy. One of them was a Bartlein in a 6.5 creedmoor that I built and had no effect that I could tell

Ive had barrels recontoured, and always send them to the maker for the work. Usually about $50 plus shipping. Never done that for a finished barrel though.

I've re-contoured barrels on my lathe. It's time consuming and a PITA. If you can get a barrel manufacturer to do it for $50.00, by all means, do so. The best advice I can offer is either live with what you've got, or buy a new one with the contour you want.

I called bartlein and they said they don't recontour finished barrels.

They did one for me. The only thing they said about it was that it would need to be recrowned afterward, which was no problem. Maybe they've changed their policy but they did it two years ago.

I've re-contoured barrels on my lathe. It's time consuming and a PITA. If you can get a barrel manufacturer to do it for $50.00, by all means, do so. The best advice I can offer is either live with what you've got, or buy a new one with the contour you want.

Ditto. I've done it a couple times. I started using a belt sander to grind everything smooth after it was turned.