• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Record Groups

Squeezer

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2010
delta, colorado
I was wondering i anybody knew what the record for groups beyond 1000 yrds was? I have looked over this vast expance known as the www. and have been unable to locate any info on the subject. Thanks for the help

Re: Record Groups

Well if i could see that far i could shoot i group like that not for sure what into probably just the earth but it can be done!!!! The reason for this post is me and my friends set up an 100 and 1200 yard plate at my range and shot some pretty good groups ( or so i think ) and was wondering what the actual record was at those ranges? I will try and get pics off my phone and put them on here so everyone can bomb the hell outta me.

shot a 3.5" at 1100 would have been alot better but ruhed 2nd shot and 5.5" at 1200 dont know how good they really are but i felt pretty damn good about them and feel i can duplicate and even improve on them

That's very good group doesn't matter what caliber you are shooting. But for curiosity, what caliber are you shooting?

This set of groups was shot with my 6.5 x 284 it is one of the best rounds i have ever owned, you got to love the 6.5 bullets. I have a 338 lapua that shoots well but have not got to try it at the new ranges yet just did get a good load worked up for it.

Since IBS doesn't go beyond 1000 yds. I would doubt there are any "records"

I think the 1000 yard (5 shot) record is somewhere around 1.403. Unless the conditions were just brutal I doubt the extra 100 yards would make much of a difference. Now as far as the group being duplicated often...I don't think so! 3.5 at 1000 and beyond is something to be proud of!

"How do you post pics"
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=53705&nt=6&page=1

I guess i Will have to focus y attentions at 1000 then. I had a 20 mph wind quartering away lft to right winds where weird there is a cut in the hill where the targets are and it was pushing my rounds all over had to try and duplicate the wind according to the veg around the target.

Do you have to be in a sanctioned match to apply for records? i guess what I am asking is how do oyu go about getting into the book

v611jc.jpg

I thought about holding the tape measure up to the groups for reference after I painted over the targets. some times a guy is just a dumbass but oh well live and learn!!!

it is just an aiming point one of my buddies threw a shit fit about there not bieng any aiming points so I made him one to make him happy. the things i do for my friends???

The Iowa IBS 1000 Yard Club 5 shot group record is 10.938" at a mile.

holy crap that is a poke!!!!!!!!!! it will take three days to get there on a mule with a limp just to check the targets!!

i was under the understanding there was a gentleman from the states whom shot a 1.4" group at 1000 yrds. plus these guys are shootig off a bench I am not afforded that luxury but i do not know i there is a different catagory for bench guns as opposed to guys like me that drag my junk from the truck, throw it on the ground, and go to work?????

Tom Sarver, proprietor of Thunder Valley Range, a Medina, Ohio, native, broke two International Benchrest (IBS) 1,000-yard records last July in Plainfield, Ohio. Using his "light gun class rifle" (17 pounds), Sarver scored a perfect 50 with 5X. The record breaking 5-shot group measured 1.403" from the center to center. His perfect score of 50 was located in the exact center of a 42"x42" target with a 2" diameter X ring.

Sarver broke the record at the IBS association sanctioned match at Thunder Valley Range Saturday, 7/7/07 and captured the two records with a custom designed wildcat cartridge. He has coined his design the ".300 Hulk," which is patterned after the .338 Lapua Magnum case modified to .30 caliber.

this is a bench shooter as well. Any one who shoots tactical knows there are distinct advantages to being on a bench as opposed to of terra ferma. it is a lot hrder to get anchored in when on the ground unlike off a bench where all the equipment does a lot of the work for you.

The link I posted appears to be from 2006 so it's quite possible the records have changed since then.

I'm not a target or competion shooter, just a guy in the UK that shoots assorted vermin and has an unhealthy interest in pres. shooting: SH is to me as wonderland is to Alice. 'cept she got to visit and I probably won't.

Regards
Steve

well Steve If you ever make it to the States I would like to Extend an invitation to you to come and burn up some of my lead and powder. We have plenty of vermin across the pond to shoot at as well!

Cheers for that, IF it's ever the case I'll be sure to get in touch.

Steve

Tom Sarver shot that group from the bench.

I was there,I saw it done.

Tom is also one hell of a shooter from the ground too. He owns and operates Thunder Valley Precision. He is also a member here on the Hide. Alot of his posts are on "Tactical Competitions" section under TVP.

van

Cheers van,

Just for clarity, has Tom achieved this since the article I linked to, or was it a previously existing record?

Thanks,
Steve

Just a guess, but I would bet Tom could do this group prone off the ground, if the universes aligned again. In my relatively brief, compared to Van, time @ TVP I've seen Tom shoot off the ground 95%.

When his rifles are on the bench, it's because he's letting someone else try them out..

BTW, there is a $5,000+ prize waiting for the shooter that cleans the long course @ TVP.

Tullius, awesome shooting was this shot with the 7 wsm? man keep shooting and posting those great groups. I am getting ready to set up a 1 mile taget to see if i can get some lead on steel at hat range. Hopefully i will get some pics of my range and the different terrain at it. We set it u to learn wind calls more than anything. It is not your typical setup but very humbling to shoot!!!

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!! That is one hell of a shot or should I say 5 ass kicking shots!!!!! Congrats and codos to Mr. Rassmussin on a spectacular outting

There is no way he could do that with a Leupold scope............LOL

Nice shooting!

I have not personally met him but from people I know that have, he is supposed to be a hell of a nice guy that goes out of his way to help people and the sport.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tullius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No. Check the link that van provided for info on the gun. </div></div>
Jimmy is actually talking about Lee's rifle. It is a running joke that Leupold scopes can't win competitions because they are not good enough. Lee uses Leupold's and obviously shoots some unbelievable groups.

Groups shot from ground VS groups shot from bench..

The biggest comparision issue here is shooters shooting from the ground should be more focused on score hits.
If your rifle groups well at 100-300 it will SCORE good at long range if you know how to read wind and estimate distance.
No sniper has ever shot a group in his intended targets chest..

I shot from the ground for many many years way before I ever sat and competed at the bench. It was only after I began a quest for ultimate accuracy of a rifle that I began bench shooting. From there the rest is history. All the years of shooting prone made me a better benchshooter and all the years of shooting off a bench made me a better shooter yet. This can only be experience after doing both and I've done it for over 20 plus years weekly and daily most of the time.
Sitting at a bench does not make group shooting easy..your equipment helps but there are a lot of factors that go into shooting 4" or less groups at 1000 yards consistantly. Having vast experience in both methods of shooting will help you understand that. My quest to break the world record at 1000 yards was a long one. I never gave up and the stats prove it. They got better and better till it was accomplished.
The 1.397" 50 5x score record target is still rolled up in a cardboard tube in the safe. It's part of my past now..the future still awaits. I have other goals now. I also spend more time helping other shooters reach their goals more so than my own..mine take a backseat for now but are ever present in my mind.

Goodluck!

I'd be lucky to get those groups at 100 yrds. Great shooting man, keep it up.