• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Recs on Rifle Hard Case

BuildingConceptsllc

Don't Start None, won't be none.
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2020
    Alabama
    I'd like to get a dedicated case for my bolt gun, and maybe one for an AR where I don't have to worry about it getting banged around when it goes in the back of my truck or similar places...

I really don't want to spend $200 or more on a case, but I also want it to be solid, so I would spend that if I saw the benefit of the case.

I've been looking at the Plano (PLA-11852) and some others. I'd really appreciate some input from you guys who have been carrying your precision guns from match to match for years. I've always had the cheap plastic cases or the soft tactical type cases, so I just don't want to get one that
    1. Will not work well.
    2. Doesn't have some feature that would be great to have if I'd known to look for it.

Should I just get a pelican or eylar and be done with it?

Thanks

Trim that insert to fit your set up or buy some closed cell foam and trace out your own but 185 for that case is legit

Last edited:
    I'd like to get a dedicated case for my bolt gun, and maybe one for an AR where I don't have to worry about it getting banged around when it goes in the back of my truck or similar places...

I really don't want to spend $200 or more on a case, but I also want it to be solid, so I would spend that if I saw the benefit of the case.

I've been looking at the Plano (PLA-11852) and some others. I'd really appreciate some input from you guys who have been carrying your precision guns from match to match for years. I've always had the cheap plastic cases or the soft tactical type cases, so I just don't want to get one that
    1. Will not work well.
    2. Doesn't have some feature that would be great to have if I'd known to look for it.

Thanks
    Sent you a PM!

It’s solid IMHO. I treat my shit gentle though.
    My 10/22 in one

Attachments

• 1B41EACC-B935-4251-976D-D079E9C3BE75.jpeg
      1B41EACC-B935-4251-976D-D079E9C3BE75.jpeg
      735 KB · Views: 220
    • A113C06F-D52D-4C7A-B4A7-0FF3CB9FA861.jpeg
      A113C06F-D52D-4C7A-B4A7-0FF3CB9FA861.jpeg
      498.2 KB · Views: 124
    • 400E53E8-CE54-43E7-93C4-913C218EF871.jpeg
      400E53E8-CE54-43E7-93C4-913C218EF871.jpeg
      638.3 KB · Views: 97
    • 716D4B22-F00E-407C-8977-61898161B3E7.jpeg
      716D4B22-F00E-407C-8977-61898161B3E7.jpeg
      522.3 KB · Views: 123
    • 2582C739-11F5-4468-8DDD-F05CE4FE4204.jpeg
      2582C739-11F5-4468-8DDD-F05CE4FE4204.jpeg
      412.1 KB · Views: 117
    I have some of the older Plano double rifle cases... they are ok. They’ll definitely work for tossing in your truck for range trips. They are middle weight as far as I’m concerned for travel. I actually don’t think I’d trust luggage handlers with them though If I was traveling a lot

My favorites are my older Boyt Harness hard cases. I’ve read some reviews of poor sealing, but I have several of their cases and mine are all extremely sturdy. Very heavy though even empty. So tossing them around gets a little cumbersome

I have been using a pelican for flying for 11 years now with no issues. I would have a hard time using anything else. But if I did Plano makes a Foot Locker line that is pretty good. I use one for my range trips.

Yeah, I have always gotten by with cheaper cases but I need a few that are legit, where I can fit the case for the gun and know my scope won't end up hitting the top of the inside of the case, ect...

I have been using a pelican for flying for 11 years now with no issues. I would have a hard time using anything else. But if I did Plano makes a Foot Locker line that is pretty good. I use one for my range trips.
    The Plano case I looked at is a similar type of construction. It's not like a pelican but it's not the thin plastic stuff either. If I was going to pay $250 for a case though, I'd just get a real pelican probably.

The pelican vault series looks pretty good. Don't know how much the lifetime warranty really matters to me.

A friend recommended the nanuk 995 case and after looking into it, that one seems like the best one. I think I'd like the lid staying open by itself and I would prefer the non-pluck foam too I think. Anyone that has both pelican and a nanuk that could weigh in?

Reactions: CShooter92
    Great for transporting to and from the range. I wouldnt fly with it though

You took the words right out of my mouth. I bought a very good Pelican and man is that damn thing heavy. With a heavy barreled bolt gun, I feel like I'm carrying a safe. Yep, that it's what you want in the aircraft cargo hold, but IMHO it's overkill for range. I could roll my SUV a dozen times to / from shooting and the rifle would come out fine. I'm actually shopping for a level of protection appropriate for local travel and keeping my Pelican for trips.

Last edited:
    Reactions: LuvDog
    Yea... when I first started looking for cases, I wanted enough to survive a nuclear blast. As I get older and the rifles themselves get heavier, I find I don’t need them to withstand a gorilla tossing them or an elephant standing on them.

I still keep my Pelican, SKB, Nanak, Boyt, etc for when that level of protection is needed but going to and from the range it just makes me tired.

I ended up doing a chat with the dreaded opticsplanet and getting one Nanuk 995 with foam, and an Eylar 48" as well. A fellow hide member really spoke well of the nanuk as did another ITT and he told me that optics planet would give a great price on the tan nanuk 995. He was right. Dont think I could ever beat what I got for what I paid. Thanks guys!

Got both of those cases for $315.00 shipped. The nanuk is the one that I wanted for my bolt gun but while I was at it, I got the smaller Eylar case too for ar-guns. I will report back on both when I get them and put em to use. I really do appreciate the input from everyone, it was a huge help.

Got the Nanuk case today. Man, that thing is really nice! Extremely well built. Stainless lined lock tabs, very secure latches, and the handles that are spring loaded so they lay flat is a great feature. Also, the case staying open by itself, even when empty, is very very nice. It's so frustrating having a case fall over or having to lay the case all the way flat, in order to access anything in the case. This thing is super nice and obviously very tough. Waterproof, dust proof, ect.. It is kind of heavy. I didn't check the weight before ordering, and I'm sure the other cases of this size (55"), are heavy too. Glad it has the built in wheels.

Don't have the Eylar yet, but will update when I do. Thanks again for the input fellas.

Reactions: pell1203
    Sooooo, I got the Eeylar case in. It's "ok" ... it's definitely durable, and the actual plastic seems pretty legit. It doesn't have the features of the nanuk case though, and it doesn't have the fit and finish. Of course it's normally a pretty significant price difference between the 2. It also is made in China. (Which I didn't know before I ordered it, I guess I should have checked. That would have made me not buy it honestly). The nanuk is just too big and heavy for what I wanted out of this case, or I'd just send it back and get another nanuk 995. This is a 48" case, and it has the pluck foam (which I probably won't use). I have a bunch of foam I got for a sweet deal a long time ago so I can replace the pluck foam portion (middle layer of 3) with regular foam I can cut out like the nanuk case.

Anyway, it's a good case for $130, but it's not comparable to the nanuk or 1750 pelican. Maybe it compares to the pelican vault series I'd say.

I have a Pelican 1750 bit more $$ but worth it to protect your investment. Pretty hefty when your done thank god for the wheels! I got mine for 150 lightly used so there are deals out there just got to look! If you need new foam just order some off Amazon. I need to recut mine all I had was a stake knife 😄

Attachments

• 20201228_164500.jpg
      20201228_164500.jpg
      358 KB · Views: 109
    I have a Pelican 1750 bit more $$ but worth it to protect your investment. Pretty hefty when your done thank god for the wheels! I got mine for 150 lightly used so there are deals out there just got to look! If you need new foam just order some off Amazon. I need to recut mine all I had was a stake knife 😄
    You did that with a steak knife? I'm impressed!

The nanuk is the best deal for sure IF, you get it for the price I did,($160 but only the tan one would they do at that price), otherwise a used pelican in good shape would be a great option. I prefer that color so it's great for me. Pelicans are of course excellent as well.

Reactions: Gunwild
    You did that with a steak knife? I'm impressed!

The nanuk is the best deal for sure IF, you get it for the price I did,($160 but only the tan one would they do at that price), otherwise a used pelican in good shape would be a great option. I prefer that color so it's great for me. Pelicans are of course excellent as well.

Hey thanks! Took about 40min and a couple beers later but got it done. I orderd a Turkey Carver for when I redo it. Watched T-Rex on YouTube do his that way and turned out really nice. Wow those Nanuk cases look stout I use to have a Kalispel metal case and damn was that thing awesome had my upland O/U and Turkey shotgun in it!

1. Will not work well.

Thanks
    Pelican im3300, Pelican 1750.

/thread

It may be better, but not 40% more expensive than Pelican better. Pelican 1720 is $250, Nanuk 990 is $350
    Is that one of the vault series or the regular series? I got my nanuk for $160.00. Brand new. (Of course the regular price was $250 or something like that). That $160 was a special circumstance with it being only for the tan model, so it worked out for me but the "regular price ranges from $220-$320 at optics planet anyway. Pelican is a very good case no doubt.

Is that one of the vault series or the regular series? I got my nanuk for $160.00. Brand new. (Of course the regular price was $250 or something like that). That $160 was a special circumstance with it being only for the tan model, so it worked out for me but the "regular price ranges from $220-$320 at optics planet anyway. Pelican is a very good case no doubt.
    1720 is of the standard pelican bloodline. I have a Pelican Vault V800 and I'm definitely underwhelmed at the build quality. Vault's are more like the nicer Plano tactical cases. They're good, definitely serve their purpose. But it ain't a standard Pelican as far as build quality.

I I've traveled via air several times with my standard Pelicans and they are fantastic.

If anyone else is looking for a large hard case, I'd highly recommend chatting with optics planet online and asking them to give you a better price on that Tan Nanuk 995. It's impossible to beat that bad ass case for $160.00. Hell of a deal right there!

Reactions: clcustom1911