• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Red Dot and progressive Lens

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Had the red dot out on the pistol tonight--been a while. My "dot" was smeared to hell. I was a little
W
T
F.

The more I cleaned it the worse it got.

Then I took off my new progressive lenses. Almost as clear as a dot (pun intended). I have a little astigmatism, so the dot is not perfect, but with my lenses on it forms a a little curve. (paint inc!) (i may have overdone the "curve" as the dots are all the same size and a bit more vertical, but it was definitly a WHAT THE HELL moment and it gets worse as you lower your vision, but even through the top of the lenses, i'm getting split dots.

Is this a known thing?

1689392269357.png

And for star trek fans
THERE ARE 4 DOTS! (and yes, through the bottom of the lensees I have four MF red dots!)

Edit: I'm left eye dominant so the "curve" is to the left. If I switch to my right eye, the curve goes the other way! Really have to tilt my head down to get through the top of the lenses to clean that up!

Yep, ditto the welcome to middle aged eyes and eyewear. The only red dot I have found I can still target with clearly is the Eotech…..which does not help on the pistola!

Reactions: Modoc
Astigmatism will cause all types of ocular aiming devices to be blurred!
The triangle on my Leupold ’Red Dot’ was not a triangle.
I had cataract surgery, lens replaced by a simple distance only lens.
I now see a crystal clear triangle and all my other ocular items are now used without correction.
I was left eye dominant/right handed, now right eye dominant.
My Trap Shooting has also improved.
I use micrometer iron sights at 100 yd matches, no problem!
I once had some progressive glasses made, returned them as I had to turn my head to focus clearly on my computer.
I stay AWAY from ALL types of progressive, multi-distance lenses.
-Richard

Q for you guys, do you just go for a fixed lens for shooting or real 'have the line' bifocals? I can 'see' w/o glasses but I was considering prescription sunglasses

I had problems with progressive lenses and regular scopes. with seeing the line, I was always on it and things were out of focus. Lined bifocals fixed it.