• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Red dot for my DD M4A1

Glock1943

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2021
Huntsville, AL
I just bought a DD M4A1 and would like to know what red dot you guys think would go well? This is my flagship gun so I don't want a basic SIg Romeo. Looking at something like an Aimpoint Duty RDS or a HOLOSUN AEMS REFLEX SIGHT. Someone was telling me I want a site that sits higher on my rail, is that true and why? May even go with an Eotech is money permits. Thanks!

I don’t have a red dot for you, nor can I recommend one, but you want something that sits higher so it’s easier to obtain a sight picture.

Too low and you’ll never be able to see through it.

I have the Aimpoint RDS and PRO. Like them both

I've had a couple pro for a few years and they're toss on the floorboards solid. Skd risers are cheap if you want to get it up higher.

Recently picked up an duty rds and I'm impressed. Illumination control and mounting is a bit different than a t2 but considering the price difference I'll probably do rds in the future. Haven't tried it at night yet but the glass is very clear so I'm sure it will do fine.

20220602_190257.jpg

Reactions: Milf Dots
You have a lot of options.
Aimpoint
Eotech
Holosun
Are all solid options, I know the Chinesium argument and it is valid but it still doesn't discredit its capability.

Height is up to you. If you want to use it with NVG's you will want the optic higher so you can quickly and easily line up the NVG you are wearing with the NV capable optic.

I like mine just a tad higher so I don't have to crane my neck over to look down the red dot (but I also have a lot of spinal damage, so there's that).

Why not look at an LPVO??

Reactions: Glock1943
Aimpoint, Eotech, SIG Romeo 4T for US government contracted/approved optics. After that everything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Milf Dots
To the OP, go with the Aimpoint Duty RDS. Let us know how awesome it is.

Check out the C More railway. I have one on my PCC and another going on my 10-22 steel challenge rifle. For my games the 8MOA dot is perfect, but you can get it in 2MOA if you prefer. It is old school, from the early 1990"s, but it is a great sight.

You have a lot of options.
Aimpoint
Eotech
Holosun
Are all solid options, I know the Chinesium argument and it is valid but it still doesn't discredit its capability.

Height is up to you. If you want to use it with NVG's you will want the optic higher so you can quickly and easily line up the NVG you are wearing with the NV capable optic.

I like mine just a tad higher so I don't have to crane my neck over to look down the red dot (but I also have a lot of spinal damage, so there's that).

Why not look at an LPVO??
That's a great option too. The Trijicon VCOG looks amazing.

Reactions: stefan73
it's hard to beat an aimpoint in a lower 1/3 mount

savvy 1.93 and 2.26" height, and have run them both pretty heavily..

but 1/3 co witness is the go to currently.

aimpoint t2 is sweet as. it's the standard for a reason. sharp dot, bright as the sun, lightweight, clear glass, crazy long battery life, and very durable and not made in china

Best thing to do is go to your local shop and ask to look through all of the models your interested in. See which is the clearest dot to you. Some people want 1 dot (Aimpoint) and others like circle dot (Eotech).

For me personally my astigmatism keeps me buying Eotech since the outer ring removes the "flare" from the center dot and gives me a crisp reticle. I would have never known that is I didn't check them out with my own eyes.

Eotech and Aimpoint make great products, such as Aimpoint T2, Eotech EXPS2, shop around the models and see what your eyes like best.

Thanks for all the feedback fellas. Those T2's and Eotech's are no joke pricey. I dropped $1,700 for that DD, I may have to wait a minute to get up the cash for one of those.