• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Red Dot + Ruger Mini 14

fx77

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 29, 2005
    ny state
    My state only permits Ruger Mini 14...no AR 15 :(

So Purchased one, but have not shot it as yet
    It comes with a Pic rail
    Mounted the Rail
    Decided a Red Dot was in Order. Never used one before.
    Obtained Aimpoint T 2 Micro with the lowest possible mount to the rail

Mounted the Optic
    Thru the optic I can see the front sight on the rifle
    With the elevation turned all the way down, the red dot still appears much higher than the front sight on the rifle

Cannot lower the dot any further in the optic's viewfinder.
    Is this Normal?
    Is there a Remedy?
    Is it the wrong Red Dot for the Rifle?
    I called the purveyor (highly reputable) and they said Pic rail is out of spec and Ruger Rails were poor products.
    Order replacement said he. I did, but kinda doubt that is the issue.
    Thanks for the help

Turn the elevation down and the dot goes up. Do the opposite of what you are doing.

I’m thinking maybe it is the rail, or even the receiver. You literally described the exact experience of a friend of mine and his new mini, he used the factory rail with a Holoson 507, bottomed it out and the dot is still way above the front sight.

I have an aim point pro on my mini-14 300 blackout . Make sure you clean the holes for the factory scope mount to get all the oil out use some blue loc-tite . I took the spacer out of my aim point pro mount to get a better sight picture . don't worry about the front sight , just zero your optic .

Reactions: BCP
    Often questions posed are answered but no followup as to outcome of suggestions is posted

Checked the Ruger Pic rail and on a straight edge is was slightly twisted in the longitudinal plane .and Ruger sent me a new rail
    Bore sighted the Aimpoint on the Ruger mini 14, and it was almost perfect at 25 yards. small adjustments at 50 yards where it was right on. Little more at 100 yards.
    All in all it worked great. and the aimpoint dot was way high of the front sight that came with the rifle (thus that sight is of no value)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Reactions: Makinchips208
    As stated, friend is having the identical issue with a new mini and factory pic rail. Ruger is sending another rail out so hopefully that does it.