• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Red Dots

TRH1962

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
Hello
Looking to put a red dot on my Glock 19 Gen 4 MOS and have been looking at a lot of them. To be used for mostly target shooting One in particular is the Trijicon RMRcc 3.25 MOA Dot. Am I on the right track or should I consider something else.

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

SRO is pretty popular for fun shooting on pistols

I have a jpoint on a rifle, 65MOA ring with a 1MOA dot, wish more RDS makers would adopt that style.

Targets only? The Trijicon SRO is a really beautiful dot to look through. Leave the RMR for harder use stuff.

As much as I love my RMR, if I were just using a handgun for fun or competition, I would definitely use an SRO.

I also recommend looking at the SRO. Same footprint and manufacturer as the RMR plus a larger nicer window. Easier to get use to if you are new to the red dot world. My second choice would be the Delta Point Pro. Prices vary so look around.

Reactions: TRH1962
Btw, look up sage dynamics on you tube... the pistol red dot jesus Aaron Cowan. He also has a white paper out detailing pistol red dot usage.

Not everyone like them, personally, I tried them and hate them.

Not everyone like them, personally, I tried them and hate them.

How long did you train with one before the hate? Folks that are used to shooting irons for years seem to have a harder learning curve compared to a newer shooter.

They definitely need a few hundred to a thousand dry runs at picking the dot up to refine the muscle memory from years of just picking up iron sights. Once you’re there though, things are definitely faster.

How long did you train with one before the hate? Folks that are used to shooting irons for years seem to have a harder learning curve compared to a newer shooter.

They definitely need a few hundred to a thousand dry runs at picking the dot up to refine the muscle memory from years of just picking up iron sights. Once you’re there though, things are definitely faster.
Probalbly about 100. You might be right. I am a long term iron sight shooter

Reactions: PBWalsh
Yeah, if you can, just give it more time. I feel like people who do not like dots just haven’t put in the time to acquire the dot.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm now looking at the Trijicon SRO and the Holoson 507c and the Sig Romeo3 Max. Definitely wanting the 1mil adjustability and long battery life.

Last edited:

Its the same thing as catching your front sight in your view, just glows in the dark and eliminates having to line up the rears, for me at least

Last edited:
Big fan of red dots on rifles. I swear my EoTech saved my ass twice in Iraq just by allowing me to be that much faster on target than the other guy.

I can see where it may be hard to get used to them on a hand gun. You don't have the advantage of placing the stock, and your face in the same place as you did with irons. I haven't even tried one on a pistol, but the transition to them on a rifle was seamless, and effortless, even to an old grunt in his 40s basically in his last few years to retirement.

I've seen this many times before. Long time iron sight pistol user tries red dot sight without any instruction. He does what he knows: focus on the sight (dot in this case). The combination of focusing on the dot instead of the target and the "wild" movement of the dot makes him shoot slow as shit.

100 rounds are nowhere near enough to learn how to use one, and you really need some coaching even if it's online or self directed coaching. The alternative is wasting a bunch of ammo with no guarantee that you'll eventually figure it out.

This is magnified if your index is poor. By index I mean drawing the pistol while looking strictly at the target and have it show up right in front of your face with the sights on target. Basically relying on kinesthetic awareness and not your eyes to have the sights aligned and on target at the end of the draw.

You also need to get used to the fact that the dot is going to show you all the movement that has always been there but you couldn't perceive with irons. You need to get used to the fact that for most shots the dot doesn't need to be still. It all comes from putting miles through one.

Once you learn how to use one, an RDS on a pistol opens up another level of performance from where you are.

I just installed a Holosun HE507C-GR X2 on my Buckmark and have a Sig Romeo1 3moa on my 320 X-Carry.

My old eyes require 3.00 readers to read and 1.25 readers give crisp distance vision.

The reticle on the 507C is actually quite crisp with no glasses vs the Romeo which blossoms a little. The Holosun design and build quality is very good IMO. Appears to be much stouter than the Romeo 1.

I'd buy another without hesitation, It's definitely worth consideration, uses RMR mounting profile and comes with a picatinny plate mount also.

Attachments

• 20210219_084922.jpg
    20210219_084922.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210219_084945.jpg
    20210219_084945.jpg
    814.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Reactions: TRH1962
The SRO/RMR is the only one on your list that is made in America. Therefore there is only one choice.

Avoid china where you can, and you can definitely avoid them in this case.