• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Red loctite on nitride parts

Gil P.

Blank
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
I'm trying to red loctite a bolt knob onto a nitrided bolt handle.

I cleaned both male and female threads with alcohol before applying the loctite. After waiting two days, I can still unscrew the bolt knob by hand.

Does red loctite have problems curing on a nitrided piece of steel? I'm able to scrape the loctite off of he threads pretty easily. Some of it didn't dry either.

Should I try something like rocksett or let it cure for a week before testing it again?

I'm trying to red loctite a bolt knob onto a nitrided bolt handle.

I cleaned both male and female threads with alcohol before applying the loctite. After waiting two days, I can still unscrew the bolt knob by hand.

Does red loctite have problems curing on a nitrided piece of steel? I'm able to scrape the loctite off of he threads pretty easily. Some of it didn't dry either.

Should I try something like rocksett or let it cure for a week before testing it again?
Buy some new locktite. Sounds like u got a bad batch

Not heard about an issue with nitriding, but loctite can go bad in the container over time.

According to Loctite's manufacturer, Henkel, Loctite (loctiteproducts.com) does go bad. The technical data sheets of both thread-locker 271 (red) and 242 (blue) say that the shelf life of each is 24 months unopened, or 12 months once the tube is opened.

if fresh loctite doesnt work.....try loctite green (bearing adhesive)

you might have too much clearance between the threads, and the green loctite is designed to fill larger gaps.

and it is still removable with heat.....youll need a propane torch....but that wont pose any issues on a bolt knob

Reactions: Holliday
if fresh loctite doesnt work.....try loctite green (bearing adhesive)

you might have too much clearance between the threads, and the green loctite is designed to fill larger gaps.

and it is still removable with heat.....youll need a propane torch....but that wont pose any issues on a bolt knob
I'll try green loctite. I think you might be right about having too much clearance between the threads. I just tried using more loctite than before. We'll see if that works, but I doubt it.

The tube of loctite is new. I forgot to mention I used the same tube of loctite on a different bolt knob and it worked fine.

620 or 638, 0.2 and 0.25 mm gap fill, it can take some pretty high heat to remove though.

pay attention to what color you use, some are not oil friendly and will be broken down by solvents

I've had issues with loose thread fit and loctite with knobs before as well.

"Solved" the problem with a dab of JB Weld on the threads. No problem filling gaps with epoxy.
Still easily removed if needed with some help from a propane torch to de-bond and soften the epoxy.

I've had issues with loose thread fit and loctite with knobs before as well.

"Solved" the problem with a dab of JB Weld on the threads. No problem filling gaps with epoxy.
Still easily removed if needed with some help from a propane torch to de-bond and soften the epoxy.
That's a good tip. I hadn't thought of that.