• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Red vs Blue

cro789

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 20, 2008
    TN
    What is the big difference between a Red reticle and a Blue reticle. I have used a red one but not the blue.

The big difference between the two is they are different colors. I have not used either, it was just a guess.

I'm not sure of the context, however, as someone with red/green colorblindness my feeling is that a blue illuminated reticle will provide more contrast on a green background than a red illuminated reticle.

I would think that for someone using a red light for night hunting, i.e. varmints or hogs the blue would show up better.

The biggest difference is what your eye picks up or what it doesn't pick up. If you have a color deficiency its usually between red-green, and blue-yellow. Best option is to take a color blind test online.

I thought Red vs. Blue were internet cartoons made using Halo? :-D

Honestly I think it is what you eye feels most comfortable with.

Blue is easier on eye fatigue.

NO way. Blue illumination increases eye strain. Blue is an easy color for the eye to pick up, but it causes blurry vision when concentrating your vision on blue light. Details are very difficult to make out. Don't believe me, try reading blue business signs at night from a distance. They appear blurry as hell.

The reason why US Optics offered a blue reticle, is because the blue illumination produces a lower iR signature, so it is harder for the enemy using night vision to spot a US soldier using a blue reticle. No other reason. Problem is that people confuse intended purpose with performance, and they want to have what the tactical community has. If you shoot in low light conditions, and absolutely need illumination, red does just fine, as does green. Leave the blue for the guys that are getting shot at.

NO way. Blue illumination increases eye strain. Blue is an easy color for the eye to pick up, but it causes blurry vision when concentrating your vision on blue light. Details are very difficult to make out. Don't believe me, try reading blue business signs at night from a distance. They appear blurry as hell.

The reason why US Optics offered a blue reticle, is because the blue illumination produces a lower iR signature, so it is harder for the enemy using night vision to spot a US soldier using a blue reticle. No other reason. Problem is that people confuse intended purpose with performance, and they want to have what the tactical community has. If you shoot in low light conditions, and absolutely need illumination, red does just fine, as does green. Leave the blue for the guys that are getting shot at.

Interesting info. I know from my military days, red was preferred as is has less of a negative impact on your own native night vision.

Interesting info. I know from my military days, red was preferred as is has less of a negative impact on your own native night vision.

Blue light will wreck your night vision