• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding Body Die - FL sizing brass from another chamber

royta

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2013
Morgan County, Utah
I searched this forum ("redding body" title only) but didn't find my answer.

I haven't started back up yet, but I plan to neck size with a Lee Collet die and then follow with a Redding Body die. I have a few hundred once fired brass from a barrel that has been replaced, and I need to make sure I can FL size the brass with the body die so that it will chamber in my new barrel. Once the brass from a different chamber has been fired in the new chamber, I can then back off the body die to just bump the shoulders.

This should work just fine, right?

Thank You!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

You should measure the case, especially by the base to make sure it's in specs, some chambers are or get oversized. If you're trying to constrict the base too much, you'll bump your shoulders into oblivion, and then fight case head separation. A tool to measure shoulder bump would come in handy here.

Last edited:
royta

I have two Redding body dies for the .223, one standard and one small base and I have used them both with a Redding neck bushing die and the Lee collet die without a problem.

I would neck size the brass until it started chambering hard, then fire up the body die. Start long, and slowly run the body die deeper in the press until the brass chambers freely, lock the ring, call it good.

You should measure the case, especially by the base to make sure it's in specs, some chambers are or get oversized. If you're trying to constrict the base too much, you'll bump your shoulders into oblivion, and then fight case head separation. A tool to measure shoulder bump would come in handy here.

The trick to not having case head separations is to not let them happen in the first place. The RCBS Case Mastering Gauge can measure thinning in the base web area in thousandths and beats the shit out of a bent paper clip.

RCBSCMG_zpsb95d3710.jpg

In my opinion the Hornady Cartridge Headspace Gauge is the best there is for measuring fired cases and controlling shoulder bump. This is because you only need one gauge for "all" calibers, and you don't strain your bifocals trying to read the Wilson type case gauges.

Picture009_zpsa5f7e7dd.jpg

I retired all my other case gauges and now use my Wilson gauges as paper weights and pen holders.
(chronologically gifted eyesight gauge humor) :)

penholder_zps4213e7d3.jpg