• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding bushing change

mdmp5

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2009
    How do you guys remove your bushings out of your bushing dies?

Mine are usually kind of stuck in the die. I end up having to smack it against my hand getting it to come out. Sometimes its very stubborn though and it needs more coaxing.

I was thinking more of getting it out while the die is in the press. I used to use a pair of hemostats, but I lost them and was wondering if there is a better way of doing it.

Mine used to stick as well. Now I add some KROIL when I insert them. And keep my sizing lube to a minimum. I simply insert a cotton swab with a wooden shaft into the bushing at an angle and it lifts right out.

I haven't had a problem with my S bushings sticking in two of my Redding S bushing dies. I have a question for the O/P, are you backing off the spindle 1/16th of a turn and letting the bushing "float" after you seat the bushing in the die?

I use a small telescoping pen magnet. Works well. As I pull up I also move the magnet from side to side(stirring motion)they come right out.

I haven't had a problem with my S bushings sticking in two of my Redding S bushing dies. I have a question for the O/P, are you backing off the spindle 1/16th of a turn and letting the bushing "float" after you seat the bushing in the die?

yup

Could you not raise a piece of unsized brass into the die with the cap and stem removed?

That might work, but it would not allow me to grab the bushing without some sort of instrument

An unfolded paper clip with an angled tip, as used for checking for potential pressure ridges/case-head separation, might allow for extraction as the ram is lowered.

Or simply a pencil - the eraser slips into the die and has enough friction that it will lift it right out.

Don't use anything that might scratch it. For that reason, I don't use the eraser end of a pencil. I have a wood dowel that works, or sometimes I use a plastic jag on a cleaning rod section to dislodge the bushing.