• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding bushing size help

a8jamesa8

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2011
VTA, California
Im looking in to getting a redding s type neck sizer for my .308 loads I will be loading 175 smk and 178 hornady match. My question is there a go to bushing size for these rounds or is it best to Measure to find the right fit and if so how and what do I measure to fing what size bushing I need.

Thanks
James

Re: Redding bushing size help

Depends on what brand of brass you have, measure the LOADED neck diameter and subtract .002, that will be a good starting point on bushing size, ie if the loaded round measures .333, a .331 bushing is a good place to start.

My experience is that you'll end up buying a handful of bushings. The brand of case, the number of firings, the thickness of the neck walls, whether you use an expander ball, even how long you leave the case neck in the sizing die - all of these will affect the amount of rebound you get after sizing. And the thickness of neck walls will also affect your starting point.

Another way is if you have a Ball Mic(Tubing Mic) the thickness of the neck x2 plus the bullet diameter will be close to .338, a .336 bushing is what I use with Lapua 308 brass.

It sound like I might be getting in to deep with the bushing type die I was just looking for something a lil more then the standard neck size die. Will I keep having to change and buy more bushing for new and or xx times fired brass if so is it worth it to go down that road or should I just get a LEE collet neck die?

IMHO it is well worth it. Redding comp dies are the best out there. The comp dies also hold the case perfectly straight while sizing the neck. Therefore It gives the best concentricity. Redding recommends that you measure the loaded neck diameter and subtract .001. The mic on the top of the dies are also really handy when doing load development and different OAL's. If you want to seat .005 deeper just dial in the mic .005 and your GTG. no need to mess with turning a little and using calipers to measure over and over and then having to pull bullets when you've go to far.

Cobra gave sound advice! I usually get bushings that are .001 and .002 smaller then my measured round. As mentioned depends on brass used and brass spring back, if you anneal etc.

Have fun!

The OP never metnioned if loading for a bolt rifle or a semiauto.

If semiauto, he'll need more than .001" interference fit between case neck and bullet - more like .003" to prevent bullet setback in the magazine and during feeding into the chamber.

I am running 308 Lapua cases in my LMT MWSE semiauto, and the .336" bushing gives me .003" interference fit. The first ladder test batch delivered very good results (9/16" group size).

Jim G

Does it matter how you insert the bushing? numbers up or down? this is the first time I try these dies (338lm)

.336 for my Lapua Brass, usually. For one of my F Class rifles, I use a .335 Bushing for neck turned brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcrich</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does it matter how you insert the bushing? numbers up or down? this is the first time I try these dies (338lm) </div></div>

Doesn't matter what direction, but I always do number up in case I want to quickly double check what bushing is in the die without removing it from the press.