• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Redding case lathe..Anyone using one??

Jjm84

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2008
PA
Looking to purchase a new trimmer. I've got an RCBS Trim Pro but it's became a bit of a pain to use lately. The pilot tends to stick in the case. Maybe my cutter is just getting dull? Anyhow, I've wanted a micrometer adjustable trimmer for awhile and the Redding looks pretty sweet. Any opinions?

Re: Redding case lathe..Anyone using one??

I've had one now for about 3 years. Works well. A bit slow, but it doesn't bother me. Don't use the drill attachment, it is a real pain in the ass.

Have one, and like it.

Got mine set up for longer cases, and use my old Forster for pistol length stuff.

Use a spritz of One Shot on the pilot every now and then, and it won't stick on you.......

Also, if you are trimming cases that have been work hardened by repeated firing and no anneal, then the brass tends to lip over as it cuts which in effect puts a small "crimp" onto the pilot....which can be interpretated as the case "sticking" on the pilot.

Again, a shot of spray lube will help it cut better...or start annealing to keep your case mouths softer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, if you are trimming cases that have been work hardened by repeated firing and no anneal, then the brass tends to lip over as it cuts which in effect puts a small "crimp" onto the pilot....which can be interpretated as the case "sticking" on the pilot.

Again, a shot of spray lube will help it cut better...or start annealing to keep your case mouths softer. </div></div>

That's exactly what's happening. I hadn't thought about the brass work hardening but it makes perfect sense now. I've been using Imperial size die wax exclusively for case lube. I'll have to pick up some spray lube. Probably going to order the Redding trimmer today along with their Big Boss II press, scale and the Bench Rest model Powder measure. I've kind of fallen in love with Redding stuff lately. Using a mix of RCBS and Lyman at the present.

Just put a little dab of imperial on the pilot every now and then if that's what you have/use. I've found that a little lube there helps the cutting, keeps the brass from galling on the cutter/pilot, and it really doesn't matter what kind you use. A drop of plain old gun oil will work too. A little goes a LONG way, and if your worried about getting the lube back out of the case neck when you are done then use denatured alcohol on a bore mop to "degrease" 'em, if you are conservative to start with it won't make a mess that can't be easily dealt with. RCBS tool handles have the same thread as most commonly found bore mops. Use the same size bore mop as you would for that caliber's barrel.

Also, you can take your trimmer pilot, chuck it up in a cordless drill, and spin it on some 000 steel wool to a smooth polish. That will help any sticking problems too.

Redding makes good stuff.....

GET A GIRAUD!

Yes I was yelling on purpose, simply put its the best reloading investment a person can make IMHO, 200 cases in 10 minutes Trimmed, inside and out Chamfered.

I don't think there is a single person here who can shoot the difference between a case thats +\- .001 from the last in trim length, but if your so F-ing anal you think it matters buy a Sinclair\Wilson Ultimate Trimmer.

http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm

Or

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=39292/Product/Sinclair_Stainless_Ultimate_Trimmer

I ordered the Redding this afternoon. It's on back order though and won't be in until the end of January. I don't really need it until then anyway. I ordered some other Redding goodies as well. Now I'm going to have to build a bigger bench..

Benches are never big enough....but we can always try.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Benches are never big enough....but we can always try. </div></div>

My current bench actually belonged to my Grandpa. He taught me to load when I was about 15 or so, and I aquired the bench upon his passing. I forget the correct name for it but it's really not a bench at all. It's some type of antique desk with all kinds of drawers and a couple cabinets. People have offered to buy it for that reason. I've been putting off going to another bench for sentimental reasons but it's been to small for awhile now..

Thanks for this thread.I have alot of Redding products and Iam well pleased with them and their customer service. Almost all of their products are made in the US on machines that are made in the US and that is very important to me. I was looking for a trimmer myself but on a different post almost everybody said to buy the Wilson.

One thing I forgot to mention Cabelas is offering free shipping and employee pricing but not both at once and I am sure that they handle Redding

I have a Redding trimmer which I like a bit better now than at first. Part of the problem was it was missing a screw or two and, since I had never had one before, I wasn't aware of the missing parts. Finally, after getting it as it should be, it works OK.

Received a e-mail from Chris Fox at Redding just after I posted before he told me about their trimmer the model 2400 Match Presison Case Trimmming Lathe. It is available at Midway and Cabelas for $149. And it is in stock. Cabelas might be the better choice as they are offering employee pricing or $20 off a $100 purchase.