• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Redding comp die set or S ?

XLR308

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 22, 2018
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    I'm having my first custom rifle built and have never used a really high end set of dies amd am considering the Redding COMP die set with micro adjustable neck and seater with body die and was curious if it is worth the expense. I have used the RCBS COMP die set in 308win with a Lee collet neck die and have gotten great results with this set up with much less money but think the full length die works the brass to much with or without neck turning on my Lapua brass with necks turned to .0145". The chamber will be 65 Creedmoor with Lapua brass neck turned minamaly for uniformity only no tight neck unless the brass completly surprises me but I tend to obsess on brass prep and uniformity and want to get the most from my set up.
    So what's you guys take on this?

Honestly, I personally see no use for that die, and I am a Redding fan. I think the paradigm of only partially sizing the neck has gone out with the hula hoop, unless you are in bench rest and know something I don't. I will advise you that I believe F/L sizing is the way to go, and you don't have to work the shit out the brass doing it. But if you insist on neck sizing only, the type s neck sizer will be sufficient

I own a ton of Redding dies, but don’t buy them much anymore, just haven’t been happy with them in a while. If you must buy Redding, a regular type-s FL sizer and a micrometer
    seater will do. If your’r not stuck to Redding, I’d recommend buying the Hornady match grade dies for $80. Uses the same wilson/Redding neck bushings.

edit: the amount of neck sizing you end up needing will be based on your chamber neck diameter and neck tension requirements. Fl sizing done properly does not overwork brass.

I own a ton of Redding dies, but don’t buy them much anymore, just haven’t been happy with them in a while. If you must buy Redding, a regular type-s FL sizer and a micrometer
    seater will do. If your’r not stuck to Redding, I’d recommend buying the Hornady match grade dies for $80. Uses the same wilson/Redding neck bushings.

edit: the amount of neck sizing you end up needing will be based on your chamber neck diameter and neck tension requirements. Fl sizing done properly does not overwork brass.

Understood I've just never had any control over the process until now, allways been hamstrung by the sloppy factory chamber with the exception of the fairly good specs of my SPS varmint in 308 which I know isn't the norm just got lucky.

The creedmoor is a different beast. Hornady did a good job with chamber specs, so there really isn’t a sloppy version of it, like there is with other chamberings. Because of that, the tolerances of various sizing dies tend to play nice with it.

If you ask your rifle maker about his reamer, i’ll put money on it being either a standard saami reamer, or saami body dimensions with a specific freebore he likes.

Reactions: Changed
    The creedmoor is a different beast. Hornady did a good job with chamber specs, so there really isn’t a sloppy version of it, like there is with other chamberings. Because of that, the tolerances of various sizing dies tend to play nice with it.

If you ask your rifle maker about his reamer, i’ll put money on it being either a standard saami reamer, or saami body dimensions with a specific freebore he likes.

I don't have an issue with specing a custom reamer for the chamber job I have just been under the impression that the 65 Creedmoor has far better quality control and runs closer to match chamber dimensions regardless of factory or custom chamberings unlike Remingtons sloppiness of the past with anything that had their signature.

I don’t think it’s a matter of better quality control, it simply has better dimensions in standard form. There isn’t a need to make changes to the body at all. This is somewhat unlike a .308 where there are literally dozens or hundreds of different chambers, since manufacturers and competitors have been taking their own stab at it over the last 65 years.

I chamber my own barrels using a saami ptg creedmoor reamer, and I think it’s perfect. The 6.5x47 is in the same boat, for the same reasons. There just isn’t a non-match version of it.

back to the original question, I think most guys that multipurpose their gun will agree that a FL size die is the way to go. Have you read about partial FL resizing? I think the best die going is the ribs GMM dies -FL neck bushing sizer.
    If you dont find anything about partial FL sizing on here I made a video on it back in the day, pm me and I’ll try to get it to you if you’re interested. It’s difficult to explain without writing a novel

I have no experience with the RCBS GMM sets but have used the RCBS COMP die set for my 308 for years and really like it although it does overwork the brass when full length sizing is needed. The nitride size die is nice when neaded considering I only FL size every 4-5 loading since I don't hotrod my loads and get away with using a Lee collet die up until then.
    The 65 Creedmoors more standardized chamber may lend itself more friendly to the specs of that series of dies I just need to do more reading I guess. Seems like I keep coming up with the same answers that the Redding type S is the cadillac but as some of you have mentioned there are much more affordable options that give equal results.

Last edited: