• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding Competition Neck Sizing Die Bushing Marks?

Crash01

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2008
Boise, ID.
I have a brand new Redding Competition Neck Sizing die with a Titanium Nitride .366 Bushing, and I'm reloading on brand new Lapua brass. After neck sizing, you can see these very slight gouges in the brass. Is this normal? And, will it have any effect on the neck sealing when firing?

DSC03149.jpg

I'm new to reloading, so I'm going slow. None of my manuals covered this, and I couldn't find anything on it on the net.

Thanks.

Re: Redding Competition Neck Sizing Die Bushing Marks?

DO NOT FIRE these cartridges before having a measurement (with caliper) of the neck.

It sounds bad : little dents on the top of the neck is NOT good.

Your bullet seems to be too deeply seated...

be careful and check all the dimensions between that cartridge and a factory ammo.

Redding used to make decent biushings. The new ones have a sharp bevel on the inner diameter. The old ones had a gentle radius. That's why I went with Lee Collet dies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JpS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DO NOT FIRE these cartridges before having a measurement (with caliper) of the neck.

It sounds bad : little dents on the top of the neck is NOT good.

Your bullet seems to be too deeply seated...

be careful and check all the dimensions between that cartridge and a factory ammo.

</div></div>

Caliper Measurements:
COAL: 3.618
Neck: .368

Maybe "little dents" was a bit strong. I can't feel them with my thumb, and if I run my fingernail across them, I can barely feel my fingernail hang up. I noticed on the inside of the bushing that there are similar marks on the throat where the casing feeds into it.

I'll send an e-mail to Redding tomorrow and see what they say.

My redding neck bushings do the exact same thing on all my necks regardless of type of brass used. The rounds seem to shoot fine though. And yes, I lube the necks well.

I assumed that was normal, now I'm not sure....

Looks like you didn't lube your cases. Did you forget to Lube your cases before you put them through your neck sizer?

Btw, with lapua brass you can just load them strait out the box. The only thing I might do to the brass out the box is chamfer and debur.

Thanks for the info ReaperDriver. I used case lube as well. I also tried one without lube, and it did the exact same thing. As for Lapua brass being ready to go right out of the box, about 1/4 of mine had the necks pushed in so far that I had to push them out by hand before I could get an expander in there to round them out. Maybe I just got a batch that was knocked around in transport though.

My main concern is that the neck wouldn't seal, which Reaper doesn't seem to have an issue with. I'm still going to get Redding's in put before I fire these, but I will update the thread with the results of the e-mail.

Thanks all.

They'll seal.

The reason for the TiN is so you DON'T have to lube necks. Lube is not the issue. The issue is the radious or lack thereof on the inside of the bushing.

Sometimes one end of the bushing has a radius, and the other doesn't. Is your brass clean? Doesn't take but one or two passes with a gritty neck to ruin a bushing.

My last batch of Lapua did the exact same thing. I have not had time to dig into it any further yet.

I had that happen only one time with brand new lapua. Some of the necks were out of round so I just ran them through the sizer w/o lube and they looked exactly like yours. All other loading were sized/lubed and no marks appeared.

Alan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see no chamfer on the outside of the neck. </div></div>

The angle of the photo is a bit misleading. All brass was prep'd in an RCBS Case Prep Center, which included chamfering and deburring. If I were to take a photo from the top of the brass looking down, you would see both. I was more focused on showing the striations.

My Lapua brass has never shown marks like that after neck sizing with Redding bushings (TiNi). On virgin cases I neck turn, trim/debur using the Giraud, and shoot. After firing I neck size, trim/debur using the Giraud, and shoot...

From the bushing you used and the COAL, i suppose you reload 338LM.

What are the measurements before and after the neck sizing ?

Can these marks comes from a too large initial neck sizing ?

I reload 6.5x47L and my measurements are :
fired brass : 7,395mm (.2911)
after neck sizing : 7,315mm (.2879, .289Ti Bushing used)
with bullet seated : 7,350mm (.2893)

I've read, but can't remember where, that some BR shooters upside down their bushing for more precise adjustment, meaning the inside of the bushing is not straight (mechanically, it sounds better to have a slightly conical bushing).

Did you check the internal size of your .366 bushing ?

Re: Redding Competition Neck Sizing Die Bushing Ma

Might be from galling. Clean the bushing with copper solvent.

Tin coatings are for machining steel not sizing brass. I know a lot of people say they are the best as you don't have to lube but if they are not perfectly smooth they will scratch like hell.
Something is sharp or rough about the bushing so I would send it back with the case and ask for a new one in normal tool steel.
It has really f*ckd that neck . I refuse to use that harder material to size my brass it wil wear the case neck .
Get some moly powder and some graphite and mix it 50-50 and use it to lube the case necks. Just run your fingers around the case neck and then dip it in the mixture and tap it to remove excess.
The case does not look like it was turned . Measure your loaded rounds at the neck and see how much your busing is sizing down .
Maybe you need a slightly larger one for that batch of brass.

I have a really dumb question - but could not find it addressed in the Redding manuals: Is there a specific way to insert the bushing into the die? IOW, which way does it go in (looking from the top).... markings up or markings down? Or does it matter?

I always inserted mine with the markings (i.e. 335) on top as I'm looking down into the die from the top. I wasn't sure if the bushing is tapered in one direction or if its straight walled and will work either way.

From what I've been told, number markings down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what I've been told, number markings down. </div></div>

REALLY? So they're tapered in a particular direction? Maybe that's why I've been getting wierd issues with them lately.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what I've been told, number markings down. </div></div>

Interesting......Then I've been sizing mine with the bushing bass-ackwards, but no scratching or galling here. My bushings all seem to be "chamfered" on both ends, but I'll try flipping on next time just for kicks and giggles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a specific way to insert the bushing into the die? IOW, which way does it go in (looking from the top).... markings up or markings down? Or does it matter?</div></div>
From the Redding catalog:
<span style="font-style: italic">When using your bushing die, we have found that lubricating case necks and installing the bushing numbers down <span style="font-weight: bold">may</span> improve results.</span>

Whatever works for you, rather than anything definite re: bushing orientation.

I flipped mine both ways with no issue. I'll sent that bushing back to Redding if I were you.

Sorry for the delay in updating the situation. I was able to try a .365 bushing and it did not have the issue that the .366 die did. I received the following reply from Redding:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you for using Redding Reloading Equipment. Please send your bushing to the address below for a prompt exchange. That is not normal. We apologize for the inconvenience.</div></div>

The .366 bushing is on its way back to Redding.

I assume that redding are refering to Lubing inside of neck before sizing with neck bushing die?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paul T</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I assume that redding are refering to Lubing inside of neck before sizing with neck bushing die? </div></div>

How would lubing inside the neck have anything to do with the bushing working on the outside of the neck? I think lubing the inside of the neck will only affect the ability of the expander ball to not stick as it goes through the neck.

Same here
look at the bushing grit will do this, or get another bushuing<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a really dumb question - but could not find it addressed in the Redding manuals: Is there a specific way to insert the bushing into the die? IOW, which way does it go in (looking from the top).... markings up or markings down? Or does it matter?

I always inserted mine with the markings (i.e. 335) on top as I'm looking down into the die from the top. I wasn't sure if the bushing is tapered in one direction or if its straight walled and will work either way. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see no chamfer on the outside of the neck. </div></div>
Yes you are right I missed that. No chamfer is not helping things.